The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Need advice on buying a used Bourgeois JOMC

I need some advice on buying a Bourgeouis JOMC, the dilemma is I would be buying it without having the chance to play it.

Sounds crazy, but I'm getting a great deal and every Bourgeouis JOM I've played in the past sounds great. Unfortunately I can't recall the neck shape and how the neck felt on a JOM or JOMC.

I'd like to know if there are any JOM or JOMC owners out there that can tell me about the feel of the neck...what shape and width it is. I play a Taylor 314ce now, and if you're familiar with this model Taylor you know it's very easy to play, not too wide at the 12th fret and has a pretty thin neck.

Thanks for any advice you can give!!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

OK I can only give you a tiny experience.

I play Taylors mostly. My main is a short scale GC7.

I played a JOMC at GC and found the feel to be PERFECT going from my Taylors,

As a Taylor devotee, I totally fell in love with the JOMC

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 08-01-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 PM

Thanks Fazool!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:36 PM

My JOM neck is very fast and comfortable. I believe they call it a square D 14 fret. I would,say,very similar to a Taylor neck.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Never played a Taylor for more then a minute. The neck on my JOM feels pretty great to me. I would not call it thin. Certainly doesn't hold me back.

I don't know what the shape is - it's not a big 'V' like my '35 '00 (my fave neck), a bit thicker then my '70 D35, way more substantial then the Larrivee OM1 I gave to my daughter, much less substantial then my '40's Regal 00 (baseball bat) and a bit thicker but not nearly as wide as my Goodall. I don't get the sense it's much different then my Slope D or any of the Bourgeois' (OM, Vintage D) I've owned in the past. Feels good couch sitting, standing, laying in bed, recording on a stool, jamming with friends, etc. Barred, cowboy chords, 9ths, 6ths, up and down the neck I find easy to play.

Just a great guitar, really love this shape and balance.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

I had a JOMC (Cedar/EIR) that I foolishly sold. It was a great guitar but I though another guitar would be better for me...wish I had it back. I thought the neck was very comfortable. Substantial enough to accommodate my large hands but not "cheeky" up the neck like a Martin Mod-V. I wouldn't let the neck slow me down one bit. So Happy NGD...I hope you get the Bourgeois! Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 AM
G625 mistral-k

Here is Bourgeois's description of their neck shape:"Our neck shape is likened to a “gentle V”." Fazool compared the neck shape to a Taylor which is quite comfortable. I find them closer in comparison to a vintage 30's Martin OM which I found to be quite comfortable. Regardless of the comparison, they are quite comfortable. It may be worthwhile to give them a call up at Lewiston and speak to Ryan. Best of luck!

https://bourgeoisguitars.net/guitars...ications-faqs/

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 08-01-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 AM

+1 for what Fazool said. I recently purchased a used Bourgeois 00 without playing first, and the neck was a 'non event' transitioning from Taylors.

My 00 does have the smaller 2.2" string spacing (vs. 2 5/16" on some Bourgeois models), which is close to Taylor's 2 3/16" spacing.

Bourgeois OMS Walnut/Redwood
Bourgeois 00 Pao Rosewood/Italian
Taylor K16ce Fall Limited Koa/Cedar
Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM

Funny, but I've never noticed the neck on my Bourgeois dread, or the OMs I've played -- which means they're very comfortable -- at least to me. They're more full than Taylor necks, and lack the sharp edge angles of Taylors that can make a thumb wrap more difficult.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I've owned/own Bourgeois OMs & think the DB OM Mod V is comfortable and just a smidge shallower than Collings & Santa Cruz Mod V necks, requiring a very slight Capo adjustment when sharing a Capo between these. I've owned and played Taylors too (but never compared side-by-side) & the neck of the Borgeois is comfortable and is a non issue for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois