The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Default Fingerpicking 12-string equalizer help

Hello,

I'm a fairly advanced finger-style player though I'm just getting into live/amplified sound. I have a 12-string Seagull that I intend to play for a few songs and getting the equalizer settings right has been tricky for me (I wonder how Leo Kottke does it..). I was wondering if there were any recommendations or advice you guys could give me? I'm using heavy gauge elixir 80/20 strings and I'm tuned down 2 steps (playing in open C - CGCEGC) with a capo on 4 for open E.

My setup is:

Pickup - Myers "Feather" (Kinda weird, but actually not a bad pickup)
Preamp - LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI
AMP - Fishman Pro Loudbox

I'm using an XLR cable from the DI to the AMP as recommended by Greg Myers. Please let me know if you have any recommendations! I would greatly appreciate it!

~Cory
Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryJamaul View Post
Hello,

I'm a fairly advanced finger-style player though I'm just getting into live/amplified sound. I have a 12-string Seagull that I intend to play for a few songs and getting the equalizer settings right has been tricky for me (I wonder how Leo Kottke does it..). I was wondering if there were any recommendations or advice you guys could give me? I'm using heavy gauge elixir 80/20 strings and I'm tuned down 2 steps (playing in open C - CGCEGC) with a capo on 4 for open E.

My setup is:

Pickup - Myers "Feather" (Kinda weird, but actually not a bad pickup)
Preamp - LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI
AMP - Fishman Pro Loudbox

I'm using an XLR cable from the DI to the AMP as recommended by Greg Myers. Please let me know if you have any recommendations! I would greatly appreciate it!

~Cory
Some more information from you will be helpful here.

What exactly don't you like about your current sound?
What sound are you trying to achieve?
What are your current settings on the Para DI?
Is your pickup passive or active?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 AM

Sure,

Its an active Pickup, uses a microphone gooseneck which I curve into the body from the sound hole. I've gotten the tone to be a little better by experimentation; Right now, I'm liking the lows but I'm having trouble with the mids and highs. It keeps ending up sounding more like a mellowed 6 string, without the resonance and brightness of a 12. It either sounds like a jumbled mess, or muted.

My DI, I have notch configured with a cut around G (took care of the feedback). I've got a minor reduction on the lows, small reduction in the mids at around 1.5 kHz, a small increase in PRES, and balanced TREB.

Idk, I'm sure I can figure it out sooner or later, I just figured I'd ask more experienced players to see if there's any common advice on 12 string amplification. I'm pretty new to this, and I heard its an art the same as learning how to play. I also heard 12-strings are peculiar for having as an effective lead instrument.

I can just keep twisting knobs... haha
Old 09-22-2015, 01:37 AM

From what you are describing, it seems like more of a pickup issue than an EQ issue.
Have you plugged the guitar directly into your amp, bypassing the Para DI? Is there much difference in the sound?

Hopefully, others can help. My own personal 12 string experience was never about muddiness, but controlling excessive brightness. With my 12 string - a Breedlove, which had an onboard Baggs Element and EQ - I would never move the onboard EQ up any further than the "flat" detent position, because the sound was inherently bright.

And be sure to check the battery for your pickup, and (unless you are using phantom power) the battery in your Para DI.

Last edited by jomaynor; 09-22-2015 at 01:51 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
12 string guitar, equalizer, preamp acoustic, seagull