The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 02-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Default New Kickstarter for Guitarists - Feedback Requested

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this seems like a great place to get feedback on a new project I've launched just this week on Kickstarter. I've been working for a few years on a multifunctional device to wirelessly connect an acoustic guitar with a smartphone (iPhone first, then Android). The project is called Acoustic Stream and it is aimed at solving these problems:

1. I often lose my song ideas, because I don’t have an immediate, easy, mobile way to record them as electronic files.
2. I can't perform without tethering myself to an amplifier.
3. I have no way to monitor my instrument's environment remotely.
4. I sometimes forget to check the humidistat in my guitar case which puts my instrument at risk for damage.
5. I have too many devices to carry around and maintain.
6. The expense of multiple devices required to address all of my needs is just too high.

I would like feedback on the project both positive and negative from the community. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

The project page is here: Acoustic Stream Kickstarter Project
if you prefer Facebook or twitter, those links are here:
Facebook
Twitter

-Bob
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 PM

Thumbs up

This sounds like a multi dimensional, win, win project. Hope you pull it off. J.D.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks JPD ... I posted a video on our project page showing the current prototype status for humidity sensing, tuning, wireless recording and wireless performing. To begin with we are now programming the software algorithm for humidity alarms. We are looking to set the default values for frequency of checking. Does every 8 hours sound good? We want to strike a good balance between battery life and reasonable instrument protection. Do you think this is a sound strategy? Thanks!

Last edited by bobbeanbags; 02-26-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 PM

Of the six ideas you mention, I'm not seeing a constant thread. Make it clearer, what ties these together and you could have something.

I can't record my ideas on the fly? Sure I can, with any phone. Let me know why yours is better

I don't know my instrument's humidity? Ok, that might be useful. You need something in my case that broadcasts, right? So help me understand how that has any relation to recording or performing.

Unfortunately it's too easy to grab the best of each, instead of seeking one app that does a lot of things only middling well. Again, I like a lot of the ideas but help me understand why I need them all in one.

And good luck!

Dave
Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the response DaveT66a!

"Of the six ideas you mention, I'm not seeing a constant thread. Make it clearer, what ties these together and you could have something."
> Thanks ... I see what you mean. I should have stated an overall theme like "Acoustic Stream connects your guitar to your mobile device to wirelessly record, perform, tune and monitor humidity". Then go on to differentiate ... the points you raise are excellent and probably should be in an FAQ. Let me try being a little clearer

"I can't record my ideas on the fly? Sure I can, with any phone. Let me know why yours is better"
> Let me try to explain here ... Unlike recording with your phone, Acoustic Stream can record using either its high quality onboard microphone or its 1/4" plug connected to the preamp out on most acoustic/electric guitars. No wires! Unlike your phone, it records two independent channels each with separate volume and gain controls so you can easily isolate vocal and instrument for processing and mixing later. Acoustic Stream also has an onboard memory buffer to store dozens of song ideas or lyric clips and can be set to automatically download to your phone. Lastly, the recoding function can be activated by double pressing the button on the device or double tapping on your instrument. This feature is called "Tapstream" and is designed to be as hands free as possible.

"I don't know my instrument's humidity? Ok, that might be useful. You need something in my case that broadcasts, right? So help me understand how that has any relation to recording or performing."
> The constant theme here is that the device connects your instrument to your smart phone using sensors and inputs using a wireless channel. My thinking was since we have this wireless connection, why not have it do several things that are important to the musician to make their life a little easier (as long as the User Interface is simple and easy to use). I have a separate tuner, recorder, wireless rig and hygrometer and these are the main things I use (apart from capo and pick!). I was thinking about how cell phones used to only make calls and had an address book, then added calculators, GPS, music, cameras .... this consolidation of features into one compact device made things easier and less expensive (well most of the time) than having many separate devices.

"Unfortunately it's too easy to grab the best of each, instead of seeking one app that does a lot of things only middling well. Again, I like a lot of the ideas but help me understand why I need them all in one."
> I think I can try to answer that in two words :-)
Simplicity and Convenience

The interesting thing about the way I've seen Kickstarter work is that it builds a bond between the people developing the product (me and my team) and the people using the product (the backers) during the development and product refinement stages. I am hoping that if we get funded, we wind up with a much better product because the backers are vested in the projects success.

Thanks so much for asking the questions ... sometimes I think I'm too close to the project and it REALLY helps to hear what other acoustic guitarists have to say about these ideas. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone will like this idea but I hope it appeals to many

Best,
Bob
Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the update Bob. I think I'm starting to get it... this puts your guitar on the 'net, which opens it up to a lot of possibilities.

The Internet of Everything, here we come. Cool

Dave
Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Thats it Dave ... thanks for pushing though ... I've got to figure out a better way to describe "it". Now if I can boil it down concisely enough ...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM

What a great idea. As a programmer myself, I appreciate the amount of R&D and work that has gone into this.

I am going to get some funds together and back this, because I just LOVE innovation almost as much as I LOVE guitar!
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 AM

Thanks Cyberferret! Yeah ... I am a "geek with a guitar" ... what better thing for me to do than connect my guitar wirelessly to my computer (phone/tablet)! I actually want to make the technology really really simple for the user so it just works and can sort of "be there" when needed - this is always a difficult task. If you're interested, I wrote a blog article about this here. I would love to use this thread to get feedback on what we're doing as the Kickstarter progresses. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM

My idea is to continue to develop Acoustic Stream as a "platform" to connect, sensors, microphone, audio from preamp, etc ... to your smart device. In this way ... additional guitar "apps" could be built for doing different things in addition to record, play tune and protect.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 AM

Default Question for Singer Songwriters

How useful is it to record vocal and instrument on two different channels when just casually recording? (i.e. getting down some clips or song ideas)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Tags
acoustic stream, humidity, tuner, wireless