The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Small problems with my Martin OM-21

Hi!

I bought this Martin new about a year ago.. First of all it has developed some checking around the fretboard. After reading alot about it, I've now accepted that this can happen, even to a new guitar.

What I'm not so happy about is that the back binding has started to come loose a couple of places. I'm afraid that this will get worse..

I'm guessing both of these problems are caused by low humidity (dry winters), even though I've used a sound hole humidifer. Would you agree with me on this?
Is there anything I should do to stop these problems from getting worse? The guitar is bought in Europe, and not covered by Martins warranty as I understand.

Pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/IPEYh

Last edited by dr4ugen; 02-07-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 AM

Yes, I agree this is most likely from the guitar being dry. Th grain on the spruce top looks like it is still really dry in the photos. The lacquer checks are what they are and no real cause for concern. The loose bindings may well continue coming undone so they should be repaired. First you should make sure the instrument is properly humidified, if it keeps drying out you may be looking at a cracked top.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 AM

If you don't already have one, buy an inexpensive hygrometer and put it in the case (or wherever you actually store the guitar). Then you'll know what the actual relative humidity is, rather than just rely upon "I have a device in the sound hole". Aim for around 45%.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Thanks for input guys. I've had a hygrometer in the case from time to time and tried keeping it above 40%, but right now it looks like the humidifer is doing diddly squat.

And of course I can't keep it in the case all the time, it needs to be played..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
binding, checking, crack, martin, om-21