The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Best of luck for a great trip. Maybe if you find the time you could post a pic now and then of your trip.
Thank you, that's very sweet! (Wish I knew your first name).
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM

Cool, enjoy! I very much wanted to go when I was younger but never did. I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Wow! What a moment! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Kudos on being able to get your camera up at all!
Hey, Denise,

It was very fortuitous, that's for sure. The Delhi leg was a last minute addition to my itinerary and almost landed on a different day. And had I not picked the hotel based on a co-worker's recommendation, no Dalai Lama for me!

I hope you have a fantastic time. The Golden Temple is on my list of places to visit one day. I'm sure it'll be a trip to remember. Feel free to shoot me a note if you have any questions.

Austin
Old 01-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I've been on a number of occasions, both to the north and the south, often traveling like a local.
At this time of year the north, Delhi , Amritsar are cold with that wet cold and lack of central heating that gets into your bones. At this time of year take something warm. The air pollution in Delhi is about as bad as it gets, just be prepared. Likewise the water is unreliable, but having said that I took really young kids and we made up formula using bottled water that I retreated with a hand held ultraviolet unit (available from camping stores) and we had no problems - but if your going in an organized group and good hotels you should be fine as long as you check that the seal on any bottled water you get is good before it is opened. Don't eat cold, uncooked food. I typically stay vegetarian when I am there. Don't drink fountain sodas or have ice.
You may know about the poverty but its not real until you see it. Gird yourself. most people get by on much less than we spend on a coffee per day. The beggar children are voracious.
I would advise not going out on your own, especially after dark. I always take anti malarials.
you will often have to remove your shoes to go into religious sites, take ones that you don't need to touch to take off (the streets set new standards in UGH!), that stand out (so you can find them among the hundreds that might be there), and that you wont be upset if they get lost.
Dress appropriately and modestly. In the Golden Temple wear a head covering (also walk on the hessian mats - the marble floor is often wet and very slippy)
Pack a good sense of humor and all will be fine. its a wonderful place, mostly the people are friendly and curious. Delhi is astonishing, The Golden Temple is wonderful, especially early in the morning. The Taj Mahal in Agra is stunning (proper guides have something worthwhile to offer), but TM closed on Fridays. make sure you see the Red Fort in Agra (there is also one in Delhi).
Have fun and stay healthy, its a wonderful thing to do.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Bottled water.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
I've been on a number of occasions, both to the north and the south, often traveling like a local.
At this time of year the north, Delhi , Amritsar are cold with that wet cold and lack of central heating that gets into your bones. At this time of year take something warm. The air pollution in Delhi is about as bad as it gets, just be prepared. Likewise the water is unreliable, but having said that I took really young kids and we made up formula using bottled water that I retreated with a hand held ultraviolet unit (available from camping stores) and we had no problems - but if your going in an organized group and good hotels you should be fine as long as you check that the seal on any bottled water you get is good before it is opened. Don't eat cold, uncooked food. I typically stay vegetarian when I am there. Don't drink fountain sodas or have ice.
You may know about the poverty but its not real until you see it. Gird yourself. most people get by on much less than we spend on a coffee per day. The beggar children are voracious.
I would advise not going out on your own, especially after dark. I always take anti malarials.
you will often have to remove your shoes to go into religious sites, take ones that you don't need to touch to take off (the streets set new standards in UGH!), that stand out (so you can find them among the hundreds that might be there), and that you wont be upset if they get lost.
Dress appropriately and modestly. In the Golden Temple wear a head covering (also walk on the hessian mats - the marble floor is often wet and very slippy)
Pack a good sense of humor and all will be fine. its a wonderful place, mostly the people are friendly and curious. Delhi is astonishing, The Golden Temple is wonderful, especially early in the morning. The Taj Mahal in Agra is stunning (proper guides have something worthwhile to offer), but TM closed on Fridays. make sure you see the Red Fort in Agra (there is also one in Delhi).
Have fun and stay healthy, its a wonderful thing to do.
Thanks so much for all of this advice, Waterboy! So what brought you there? Was it business or do you just like India? We'll be there during March, and Amritsar is at the end of the trip. I didn't think it would be cold then but maybe it will be? Thanks for the tip about the Hessian mats at the GT. Did you get to help serve the meal? Have you been to Varanasi?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Cool, enjoy! I very much wanted to go when I was younger but never did. I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.
Wanna come with us? Check out Unforgettable India tour at Intrepid Travel. :-)
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-23-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for all of this advice, Waterboy! So what brought you there? Was it business or do you just like India? We'll be there during March, and Amritsar is at the end of the trip. I didn't think it would be cold then but maybe it will be? Thanks for the tip about the Hessian mats at the GT. Did you get to help serve the meal? Have you been to Varanasi?
My wife is a Sikh, so I have been to Amritsar maybe 8 times. When I was a little more intrepid we would tour the Punjab, that got a little wild on occasions.
The weather in March is pretty good, December / January is cold and foggy.
The meal is called Langar - I never got to serve at the Golden Temple, but have at other places. Sikhs place great store on the concept of service and Langar is taken very seriously.
I never got as far as Varanasi, so cant really help there.
One thing that often catches people out - don't forget to clean your teeth with bottled water. On the topic of personal hygiene, pack toilet rolls and lots of hand sanitizer and carry them with you. "Facilities" can be (how can I say this delicately?) wildly unpredictable...
Hope you have a wonderful visit, its a horizon expanding place!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 PM

I lived in India for two years back in the 70's, travelling and also studying at Banaras Hindu University (which was a little difficult as I was the only white person in my classes).

It is a strange place. I loved it, although there were times that I hated it.

When you go to the Taj, make sure to turn around and face 180 degrees back, and take a good look.

It is too bad that it is so dangerous to go to Kashmir. I think it is the most beautiful place on the planet.

There are lots of thing to do and see in Delhi, but if you have any breathing issues...get out of there FAST.

Are you on some tour, or on your own? It makes a difference. I notice you have "Gems" in your handle. There are lots and lots of stones available (I worked for a jeweler in Kashmir), but be VERY careful. The amount of frauds and fakes can amaze you. Agra is a main stone city, especially for star rubies. In Varanasi (Benares, Banaras), there is a little square right by the Ganges, just north of the main burning ghats (and just south of the main fabric market). Go there and sit for a little bit. There is a small temple nearby where there has been at least one human voice singing 24/7 for more than 2,500 years. Think about it. At least one voice, non-stop for 2,500 years. Think about it some more. Find a ferryman to take you across the river.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by fumei; 01-23-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
I lived in India for two years back in the 70's, travelling and also studying at Banaras Hindu University (which was a little difficult as I was the only white person in my classes).

It is a strange place. I loved it, although there were times that I hated it.

When you go to the Taj, make sure to turn around and face 180 degrees back, and take a good look.

It is too bad that it is so dangerous to go to Kashmir. I think it is the most beautiful place on the planet.

There are lots of thing to do and see in Delhi, but if you have any breathing issues...get out of there FAST.

Are you on some tour, or on your own? It makes a difference. I notice you have "Gems" in your handle. There are lots and lots of stones available (I worked for a jeweler in Kashmir), but be VERY careful. The amount of frauds and fakes can amaze you. Agra is a main stone city, especially for star rubies. In Varanasi (Benares, Banaras), there is a little square right by the Ganges, just north of the main burning ghats (and just south of the main fabric market). Go there and sit for a little bit. There is a small temple nearby where there has been at least one human voice singing 24/7 for more than 2,500 years. Think about it. At least one voice, non-stop for 2,500 years. Think about it some more. Find a ferryman to take you across the river.
Ok, I just got chills! I think I knew about the voice, but had forgotten it. Thank you! Oh! I love all this info! BHU, fascinating. What did you study there? have you been back to India since?

Yes, I love gemstones but not so much the faceted, colored stone variety. I love those, of course, but I'm more a fan of gemstones made into beads or cabachons that are of irregular shapes and raw-ness. I make jewelry. India has a huge bead industry, glass and silver beads as well as gemstones beads, and I'll be looking out for those.

We'll be with a small tour group, outfit called Intrepid Travel. The Golden Temple we'll be doing on our own, after the tour, and we'll be in Delhi a day or 2 before the tour begins.

I'll not forget to turn around at the Taj and look 180 deg back. And yes...a voice that hasn't stopped in 2500 years. I know it's not the same voice, but then again...it is.

Thanks again. <3
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-26-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Ok, I just got chills! I think I knew about the voice, but had forgotten it. Thank you! Oh! I love all this info! BHU, fascinating. What did you study there? have you been back to India since?

Yes, I love gemstones but not so much the faceted, colored stone variety. I love those, of course, but I'm more a fan of gemstones made into beads or cabachons that are of irregular shapes and raw-ness. I make jewelry. India has a huge bead industry, glass and silver beads as well as gemstones beads, and I'll be looking out for those.

We'll be with a small tour group, outfit called Intrepid Travel. The Golden Temple we'll be doing on our own, after the tour, and we'll be in Delhi a day or 2 before the tour begins.

I'll not forget to turn around at the Taj and look 180 deg back. And yes...a voice that hasn't stopped in 2500 years. I know it's not the same voice, but then again...it is.

Thanks again. <3
Yes I went back for a solar eclipse in 1995.

Yes, India has a huge bead industry, both precious and semi-precious. I also make jewelry, using beads and cabs.

I studied music at BHU. They have a very different musical system from western music. I sang in that temple for 17 hours straight. It was one of the most amazing days of my life.

Re: the Taj and the entrance. Perhaps you may not be as impressed, after all the Taj is VERY impressive. The entrance is red sandstone (as opposed to white marble), but the carvings are exquisite.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Yes I went back for a solar eclipse in 1995.

Yes, India has a huge bead industry, both precious and semi-precious. I also make jewelry, using beads and cabs.

I studied music at BHU. They have a very different musical system from western music. I sang in that temple for 17 hours straight. It was one of the most amazing days of my life.

Re: the Taj and the entrance. Perhaps you may not be as impressed, after all the Taj is VERY impressive. The entrance is red sandstone (as opposed to white marble), but the carvings are exquisite.
So I'm guessing you didn't study guitar there? Perhaps sitar? Your voice is still bouncing around in that temple to this day. I'm sure I'll hear it. When you sang, were you alone or did others sing with you?

Well, it's interesting. The Taj Mahal was sort of last on my list of places to go in India. I mean, so touristy and all. I much rather wanted to see the Golden Temple. But try to get a tour of northern India that doesn't include the TM. Now that I am going though, I'm excited about it. And we are going to Amritsar too. So, win-win!

Love to see your jewelry sometime.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-27-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
So I'm guessing you didn't study guitar there? Perhaps sitar? Your voice is still bouncing around in that temple to this day. I'm sure I'll hear it. When you sang, were you alone or did others sing with you?

Well, it's interesting. The Taj Mahal was sort of last on my list of places to go in India. I mean, so touristy and all. I much rather wanted to see the Golden Temple. But try to get a tour of northern India that doesn't include the TM. Now that I am going though, I'm excited about it. And we are going to Amritsar too. So, win-win!

Love to see your jewelry sometime.
Mostly there were other people there in the temple, but I did have a few hours alone singing. It was spooky and fantastic. It was the strongest feeling I ever had of the continuum of life. You can almost physically hear the echoes of thousands upon thousands of people singing the same simple song over literally thousands of years.

Yes, I studied sitar. I had already been playing guitar for years (I took the very first guitar Marc Beneteau ever sold - $75! - with me). I really wanted to play my guitar in the temple as it had great acoustics, but the locals did not want me to. So I did not.

Please please heed the advice someone else posted about proper etiquette. You will be on their turf and it will work much better if you play by their rules. India is not as crazy as Pakistan regarding this, but still...

My girlfriend at the time and I were walking down the street in Lahore Pakistan, holding hands. We got stoned (minor injuries) by a crowd that were angry at our show of physical affection.

It is mostly safe, just normal politeness will go a long way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic