The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but I'll say it anyway for the sake of the discussion. That is easily remedied with a small powered speaker hooked up to the 1/4" output jack on the TD, or any other decent preamp/DI.
That has been an option for sure. I think my only concern is that the other band members might not appreciate a powered speaker/ or amp on stage just for me.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Let's not start that up.. I was simply using the generic term that everyone uses. I wasn't trying to be sexist. I personally have never had a woman do sound for me but if I did, I probably still would say "sound man". It's just part of the vocabulary.
I wasn't addressing you in particular. I wouldn't take it personally. I was addressing the vocabulary. I said it was outdated, and I stand by that.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
I wasn't addressing you in particular. I wouldn't take it personally. I was addressing the vocabulary. I said it was outdated, and I stand by that.

Sorry, I think it's a bit of fatigue around the issue. I totally agree with you about sound tech sounding better in today's society, it's just a hard habit to break.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Newbie question here. I have just the ToneDexter and a Boss RC-20XL looper and I output to either a LoudBox Mini or to Garageband via a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface. Do I put the looper before or after the TD? Does it make a difference?

Guitar > TD > Looper > LoudBox/Scarlett
or
Guitar > Looper > TD > LoudBox/Scarlett

Last edited by raduray; 02-15-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Sorry, I think it's a bit of fatigue around the issue. I totally agree with you about sound tech sounding better in today's society, it's just a hard habit to break.
@Petty1818 👍🏽
Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduray View Post
Do I put the looper before or after the TD? Does it make a difference?

Guitar > TD > Looper > LoudBox/Scarlett
or
Guitar > Looper > TD > LoudBox/Scarlett
It may not make a difference in your situation, but I would find the looper AFTER the TD to be more flexible.

For instance, if I laid down a chordal loop, and then wanted to solo over it using the Boost switch, I would be able to do that without affecting the looped signal.
With the looper in front of the TD, any use of the Boost switch would change the level of the loop.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
It may not make a difference in your situation, but I would find the looper AFTER the TD to be more flexible.

For instance, if I laid down a chordal loop, and then wanted to solo over it using the Boost switch, I would be able to do that without affecting the looped signal.
With the looper in front of the TD, any use of the Boost switch would change the level of the loop.
Thank you! You make a very good point. In addition to the boost scenario you describe, Looper after TD would also allow different TD tone control settings between the loop and the solo.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:01 AM

So, I got to take my new ToneDexter out for its first show last night. It was at a local (loud) pub that I've played MANY times before, with a so-so PA (at best) and a novice sound man. I had the TD's blend set to 70, and I followed it up with my Session DI, which went to the board. This is mobile phone video of one song, so take it for what it is (headphones help), but I can say that I was quite pleased with the sound. I can't wait to get this thing out for some shows coming up where I know it will be more of a 'listening crowd'.

http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 02-16-2019, 05:02 AM

@pmarino.

Sounds great that, thanks for posting.

Has your fiddle player tried the TD yet? I've only listened on the phone speaker but that sounds like a Barcus Berry or similar on the fiddle, which is very TD friendly coupled with a small diaphragm condenser.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
@pmarino.

Sounds great that, thanks for posting.

Has your fiddle player tried the TD yet? I've only listened on the phone speaker but that sounds like a Barcus Berry or similar on the fiddle, which is very TD friendly coupled with a small diaphragm condenser.
That's interesting... I think she likes to keep her setup pretty low-maintenance, but I will certainly run it by her!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
So, I got to take my new ToneDexter out for its first show last night. It was at a local (loud) pub that I've played MANY times before, with a so-so PA (at best) and a novice sound man. I had the TD's blend set to 70, and I followed it up with my Session DI, which went to the board. This is mobile phone video of one song, so take it for what it is (headphones help), but I can say that I was quite pleased with the sound. I can't wait to get this thing out for some shows coming up where I know it will be more of a 'listening crowd'.
This sounds very good but I remember I liked you tone with just the new Fishman Matrix blend pickup as much. Which one do you prefer at gigs?
Old 02-16-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
This sounds very good but I remember I liked you tone with just the new Fishman Matrix blend pickup as much. Which one do you prefer at gigs?
Well, it was only the one show so far with the ToneDexter, but there are two things that jumped out at me that made me prefer it to the Mic Blend on its own (with the Session DI, too). The first was feedback. The last two times I played with the Mic Blend we really struggled with feedback. This time there was no hint of it, post-soundcheck. The second thing was tone. I often found the Mic Blend to be a bit too bright for my taste, and the TD just had a really nice depth and warmth to its tone. The Mic Blend is still in there, I just dialed-out the microphone when making the TD ToneMap and when playing.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
Well, it was only the one show so far with the ToneDexter, but there are two things that jumped out at me that made me prefer it to the Mic Blend on its own (with the Session DI, too). The first was feedback. The last two times I played with the Mic Blend we really struggled with feedback. This time there was no hint of it, post-soundcheck. The second thing was tone. I often found the Mic Blend to be a bit too bright for my taste, and the TD just had a really nice depth and warmth to its tone. The Mic Blend is still in there, I just dialed-out the microphone when making the TD ToneMap and when playing.
I get the feedback part.
But it terms on the tone, what I found is, the more natural and warm sound I get from the Tonedexter the less defined and clear it comes out of a PA. Just listened to your other clip with the mic blend and I think that would be my preference, especially in a live setting where the room acoustics and overall noise muddies up the sound.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I get the feedback part.
But it terms on the tone, what I found is, the more natural and warm sound I get from the Tonedexter the less defined and clear it comes out of a PA. Just listened to your other clip with the mic blend and I think that would be my preference, especially in a live setting where the room acoustics and overall noise muddies up the sound.
It's a very good pickup, no doubt. I think last night felt really solid to me and never once having to worry about feedback was really comforting.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I get the feedback part.
I'll admit to having had my on-stage "adventures" with ToneDexter. There have been times when the amplified guitar sound was overly ambient (for my taste, at least) and a little disorienting. I kept experimenting with it, however, and three things have been quite helpful in getting the somewhat more focused sound which I'm seeking.

1) updating my firmware to GEN150 so that I can blend the WaveMap with some dry signal.

2) getting a better training mic (Slate ML-2)

3) experimenting more with training mic positions

Recently, I've been using about an 80% WaveMap/dry blend on stage, but last week I came up with a WaveMap which sounds great to me at 100% full character. Ironically, I trained it with a cheap (laminated back & sides) ebay guitar. I'm reminded that luthier and pickup designer Dave Wendler used to recommend over-built and laminated guitars for amplification because they're not as responsive to speaker sound and the subsequent problems with feedback and muddiness.

In any event, I tried the new WaveMap out in a very "live" setting on Thursday and was quite pleased with what I was hearing on stage at 100% full character. I was also pleased with what I heard in a video recorded from the house side.

https://youtu.be/h285fLE9yls
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification