The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Default Yearly Search for One Piece Video Camera

this is my yearly (ok it's only been about 9 months this time) search for a video camera with great audio, video and relative ease of use.
Most of the cameras i've seen so far have this ugly (to my eye) fisheye effect.
does anyone have experience and recommendation.
i would like to improve somewhat significantly on the quality of my youtube below.
thanks
Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM

I believe I gave the same answer in open mic recently. Late model top tier smartphone.

Even the pros I work with now use phones more than the GoPros and at times or pro SLR gear. If you don't want the fish eye know some have two rear facing cameras for true "telephoto".

The audio has also jumped in quality. At work we have a Rode mic we've used with small cameras, at times SLR and smart phones. Everyone with the iPhone XS or XS Max is noticing the audio recording has improved too (me too).

Some associates have bought the Pixel known for quality cameras but 2/3 went back to iPhones before the return/exchange period ended because of the two rear facing cameras.

Built in apps are good but a number of us like Filimc that's available for an Apple or Android phone. It makes selecting your focus and exposure independently easy and has other features that might be important.

If you do buy a dedicated camera, I'm partial to the flat front to back GoPro format because of mounting but there are many good choices. I don't know a whole lot about mics but the two Rode I work with seem fine and didn't break the bank.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 AM

Same answer I gave a year ago, too: Sony pocket digital camera. Shoots HD video, the latest models only have a single (mono) mic, but quite honestly with 2 mics less than an inch apart, there really isn't 'stereo' sound anyway. Like any of these devices, loud music/sound will overwhelm the little mic (distortion).
All the videos shot in the last 5+ years on my 'other stuff' youtube channel were shot with the 16MP version. https://www.youtube.com/fflbrgst

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSCW830-...digital+camera

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I believe I gave the same answer in open mic recently. Late model top tier smartphone.

Even the pros I work with now use phones more than the GoPros and at times or pro SLR gear. If you don't want the fish eye know some have two rear facing cameras for true "telephoto".

The audio has also jumped in quality. At work we have a Rode mic we've used with small cameras, at times SLR and smart phones. Everyone with the iPhone XS or XS Max is noticing the audio recording has improved too (me too).

Some associates have bought the Pixel known for quality cameras but 2/3 went back to iPhones before the return/exchange period ended because of the two rear facing cameras.

Built in apps are good but a number of us like Filimc that's available for an Apple or Android phone. It makes selecting your focus and exposure independently easy and has other features that might be important.

If you do buy a dedicated camera, I'm partial to the flat front to back GoPro format because of mounting but there are many good choices. I don't know a whole lot about mics but the two Rode I work with seem fine and didn't break the bank.
Do you know which Rode mics you used? Were they using the 1/8" mini jack to plug into the camera? I am assuming you didnt use a Rode mic with a Smart phone?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM

First of all, it isn't the camera that makes a good video, it is the concept and planning. Depending upon how much money you want to put into it, the ideal situation is multiple cameras (at least two) so you can vary the shot. The longer the focal length of the lens (more telephoto) the more separation from the background there will be (ideally it will be out of focus). This also assumes a fairly capable editing software. Second, sound is critical. Even iphones can be adapted with external microphones as they can also be fitted with better lenses (like the "Moment" series). Finally, there needs to be enough pleasing light to make the shot properly exposed. This is all pretty basic, but I continue to be amazed at the dreadful videos on Youtube made by people with fantastically expensive guitars. Go figure...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post

but I continue to be amazed at the dreadful videos on Youtube made by people with fantastically expensive guitars. Go figure...

Thats's probbly because most of us are guitar players, not videographers. :-)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Do you know which Rode mics you used? Were they using the 1/8" mini jack to plug into the camera? I am assuming you didnt use a Rode mic with a Smart phone?
I've used the shotgun mic intended for my SLR or camcorder with a USB to lightening connection. I can find out the model of the one our marketing department uses. The latter is used almost exclusively with smart phones. I think they have the "mobile interview kit" that has individual mics and a dongle that will have them do stereo in the phone.

Again, I'm not saying no need for dedicated equipment but the associates I mention do content for polished retailers, brands and music events. Starting with one getting the X phone last year and now more having XS, they often just clamp the phones in tripod and plug that mic in.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM

thanks for all the answers so far.
Mike B the band shoot looks good. i noticed a lot of high end sizzle on my computer speakers. do you experience that?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
thanks for all the answers so far.
Mike B the band shoot looks good. i noticed a lot of high end sizzle on my computer speakers. do you experience that?
You'd have to be specific on which 'band' you mean, which videos.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-13-2019, 12:22 PM

MikeB
it was the one that came up first on your youtube, What About Everything
robert
Old 02-15-2019, 10:58 AM

any more ideas or experiences?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification