The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Newtone Heritage - wonderful!

After MUCH trial and error I have finally settled on Newtone Heritage 13-55 strings on my (much loved!) Yamaha LS-TA.

Current circumstances dictate that I have a low guitar budget and so I had to do the best I could within my constraints. As such, I purchased the Yamaha, a decision I have never, and will never regret.

I changed the stock saddle to bone, set the height, truss -rod/relief etc. and it's a truly wonderful instrument that meets my needs perfectly. The in-built reverb (when used tastefully) is simply wonderful and, as someone who enjoys 'lush' sounds, is great on a rosewood/spruce guitar - a combination that I can only describe as heavenly!

I just needed the right strings, and eventually discovered Newtone Heritage.

Prior to that, I'd tried their Masterclass PB and 80/20 custom sets in gauges similar to the Elixir HD Lights. I definitely prefer thicker first and 6th strings and was already using .013 and .055. It was then I discovered the Heritage, the only real difference from what I'd eventually arrived at being a .022 third string, compared to my previous preference for .025. The big concern was that the .022 would be too loose, but I'm happy to say that it's absolutely fine. To be honest, the fact that the 'inner' strings are all lighter than usual, feels great, and the fact that the 'outer' strings are 13 and 55 is kind of deceiving. I'm not usually one for a full medium set, and these are a great alternative/mixture of several gauges (especially when you consider the third string is lighter than the average custom light!).

And I've heard something in these strings that I've never noticed before, which is almost like a 'chorus'/crystalline type quality - just really clear, ringing and beautifully balanced. I also like round core because they last me and my acidic hands longer.

All told, the whole set are absolutely wonderful and the whole 'balanced tension' thing feels great under my fingers. Yes, it took me a little while to get used to the thinner third string, but there's something unusually satisfying about the feel/concept/sound (the whole package!) of these strings and I couldn't be happier with what I have (apart from wanting a sound port on the guitar, which will be the icing on the cake!)

Last edited by Martie; 01-19-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Good one Martie!

As I have said on other threads where we both post, the Heritage do not just suit light or fragile vintage guitars. They can work really well on standard and modern guitars as well. I changed from Masterclass PBs to Heritage on my Italian spruce/walnut Baranik, and have been really happy with the results.

Now you've got me wondering about upping my sizes as I am using the 12 - 51s!

Col
Old 01-19-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Good one Martie!

As I have said on other threads where we both post, the Heritage do not just suit light or fragile vintage guitars. They can work really well on standard and modern guitars as well. I changed from Masterclass PBs to Heritage on my Italian spruce/walnut Baranik, and have been really happy with the results.

Now you've got me wondering about upping my sizes as I am using the 12 - 51s!

Col
Thanks Colins! I think it was you who put me onto Heritage, and if so, thanks again!

Honestly, the 13-55 feel as light as any 'light' set I've ever tried, if not lighter! Definitely worth considering - I've just ordered another set as I'm now a Heritage evangelist (I'm telling you, I can hear choirs of angels in those strings!!)!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion