The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I am looking for a sound closer to what Doug gets.
Most people on this site are, I'm pretty sure. But if I didn't post something at least a bit exaggerated, there'd be no point. The principle's the thing.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 12-20-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Can you tell me what settings you're using there, Joseph?
I can get you close... I’m sure, way back when, it was conceived using some type of EchoBoy preset and modified from there but I don’t recall which.

For bigger space I use the “dual echo” engine setting inside EchoBoy. I usually use one engine as a 1/4 note triplet and the other engine as an 1/8 note triplet. There’s a world of subtle changes however if you want to start experimenting with straight-vs-triplet setting etc. If I’ve used a click I set the clock to follow the song tempo.

The feedback is usually pretty high, much more so than if I just wanted a more traditional reacting delay. I dunno if it’s just in my head but the dry/wet settings inside of the plug-in itself seem to affect tone much more than other traditional dry/wet controls. Even though I use a standard aux send and return scenario I still back the dry/wet off to 50/50 inside the plug-in in conjunction with also using the sends and returns.

I usually tune the echo with an eq. I just try to find the fundamental of the instrument and bump a wide q around that fundamental. 1 or 2 dB is usually enough. I’ve also found that a very small amount of distortion (in Pro Tools I use the Lo-Fi plug-in, I can’t off the top of my head recall what I use in Studio One) helps sit, not only echo’s but also the Lexicon stuff in a really warm place, again without going into invasive FX territory. Even in ultra clean sessions I find tiny amounts of distortion to be my friend.

Finally I love the “saturation’’ feature in EchoBoy. There’s a smear going on there that somehow lets you get away with a bit more effect before it get invasive not unlike a distortion plug-in.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/echo-boy

This is a two track, track. No reverb and obviously a pretty "pushed" EchoBoy-plug in. I did this quickly so there are some obvious warts

I have about 5 or 6 "go to" EchoBoy sounds that I really love for space. This one however is a bit heavier just for demo reference.
Nice job. Sounds good "EchoBoy" adds a lot over using a simple delay.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-20-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I can get you close... I’m sure, way back when, it was conceived using some type of EchoBoy preset and modified from there but I don’t recall which.

For bigger space I use the “dual echo” engine setting inside EchoBoy. I usually use one engine as a 1/4 note triplet and the other engine as an 1/8 note triplet. There’s a world of subtle changes however if you want to start experimenting with straight-vs-triplet setting etc. If I’ve used a click I set the clock to follow the song tempo.

The feedback is usually pretty high, much more so than if I just wanted a more traditional reacting delay. I dunno if it’s just in my head but the dry/wet settings inside of the plug-in itself seem to affect tone much more than other traditional dry/wet controls. Even though I use a standard aux send and return scenario I still back the dry/wet off to 50/50 inside the plug-in in conjunction with also using the sends and returns.

I usually tune the echo with an eq. I just try to find the fundamental of the instrument and bump a wide q around that fundamental. 1 or 2 dB is usually enough. I’ve also found that a very small amount of distortion (in Pro Tools I use the Lo-Fi plug-in, I can’t off the top of my head recall what I use in Studio One) helps sit, not only echo’s but also the Lexicon stuff in a really warm place, again without going into invasive FX territory. Even in ultra clean sessions I find tiny amounts of distortion to be my friend.

Finally I love the “saturation’’ feature in EchoBoy. There’s a smear going on there that somehow lets you get away with a bit more effect before it get invasive not unlike a distortion plug-in.
Thanks for that, Joseph.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/echo-boy

This is a two track, track. No reverb and obviously a pretty "pushed" EchoBoy-plug in. I did this quickly so there are some obvious warts

I have about 5 or 6 "go to" EchoBoy sounds that I really love for space. This one however is a bit heavier just for demo reference.
Thanks, Joseph, that's very nice.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

EchoBoy is certainly interesting, they seem to have the entire echo space pretty well covered!
Old 12-20-2018, 04:47 PM

+1 on Echoboy, I tend to use a good convolution verb. I also use H reverb,and the more I use the Abbey Road plates and chambers the more I like them.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

In case anyone is curious what I ended up with I got the reverb from Fab Filter. It was on sale along with their EQ plugin, which I wanted anyway, and their compressor as a bundle for $300.

I demo'd the VSS3 Reverb and liked it alot as well. It did have more presets and traditional parameters, compared to the Fab Filter Pro R. But I also liked the musical parameters on the Pro R, especially for a reverb newbie like myself, and being able to quickly dial in a sound. The price was also appealing, since I was going to buy their EQ plugin anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am sure this is not my last reverb plugin purchase.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
In case anyone is curious what I ended up with I got the reverb from Fab Filter. It was on sale along with their EQ plugin, which I wanted anyway, and their compressor as a bundle for $300.

I demo'd the VSS3 Reverb and liked it alot as well. It did have more presets and traditional parameters, compared to the Fab Filter Pro R. But I also liked the musical parameters on the Pro R, especially for a reverb newbie like myself, and being able to quickly dial in a sound. The price was also appealing, since I was going to buy their EQ plugin anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am sure this is not my last reverb plugin purchase.
Demoed FabFilter Pro R last month. Found it clean sounding and versatile in what you can do. Bought it today. Tried it out on my tune "Ormine" that I just posted on Show and Tell. Used Pure Plate preset at 12.25%.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Kev, have you compared these directly? Rick and I did a side-by-side compare back when this came out, and what recall was that the 7th Heaven sounded good, but there was simply no correlation between the sound of same patch on the 2 reverbs. I left with the impression that they mostly are re-using the names :-) and maybe a few coarse aspects, like rough length of the decay, but the algorithm was clearly radically different, different envelops to the same input, and so on. But it's been a while, might be worth revisiting.
Sorry to have taken so long to respond (busy holiday season this year)
No I have not done a side by side and have not tried it either.... Having the actual M7, I really haven't done any current research on plug in reverbs.

I was simply offering another suggestion based on what Liquidsonics claims on their website . ( Every preset has been meticulously sampled to provide unparalleled flexibility true to the original hardware to produce rich, organic reverbs of up to thirty seconds with full control over the early, late and very low frequency components.)

But your observation is very interesting and good to know .
I do suspect however that for someone who does not have the actual Bricasti it the distinction may not matter much as long as the various presets , sound good, and are reasonably believable as to being an ambient space, or plate, or chamber.
My suspicion is that in the relentless march into the future, plug-ins will only continue to get better (whether or not they will be the same as the hardware they are modeled on , which IMO still offer a perhaps indefinable something ? who knows ? ) But quality sonics does seem to get less expensive as we progress

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-03-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
My suspicion is that in the relentless march into the future, plug-ins will only continue to get better (whether or not they will be the same as the hardware they are modeled on , which IMO still offer a perhaps indefinable something ? who knows ? ) But quality sonics does seem to get less expensive as we progress

Bricasti could, and probably would if it was good for their financial bottom line, bring out an in the box plug-in that would sound
exactly the same as their current out of the box M7. It's all digital algorisms. Up to date computers can handle the math involved
(for example on my computer, which is a few years old now, the most Seventh Heaven uses is about 9% CPU time). Maybe their
cooperation with LiquidSonics regarding Seventh Heaven is in part to lessen customer pressure to release M7 as a plug-in, or the
opposite being as a way to drum up more interest for buying the M7.

Right now I am playing around with my FabFilter Pro-R which is pretty neat.

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-03-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Bricasti could, and probably would if it was good for their financial bottom line, bring out an in the box plug-in that would sound
exactly the same as their current out of the box M7. It's all digital algorisms. Up to date computers can handle the math involved.
Maybe their cooperation with LiquidSonics regarding Seventh Heaven is in part to lessen customer pressure to release M7 as a
plug-in, or the opposite being as a way to drum up more interest for buying the M7.

Right now I am playing around with my FabFilter Pro-R which is pretty neat.
Yes I suppose one could say they have been under a fairly steady onslaught of pressure to bring out a plugin, although Casey, ( the "cas" in Bricasti) has repeatedly stated they ( Bricasti themselves ) will not bring one out , so who knows ?
Currently they seem to be entirely focused on two hardware projects. Which also seem to be taking an inordinately long time to bring to market going 2 years now since announcement.
One is an all analog reverb unit the M200 at a lower price than the M7 and the other is the Version 3 upgrade to the M7 ???????????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
... an all analog reverb unit ...
All analog as in bucket brigade, or mechanical (plate/spring/chamber) or... is there another category?

Couch Standards
Old 01-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
All analog as in bucket brigade, or mechanical (plate/spring/chamber) or... is there another category?
Good question. I did some quick research and may have misspoke, from simply recalling this verbiage from a couple of years ago (" The M200 will be a rock and roll all out analog only never heard before effects reverb, (But after more searching , I think that means it will have only analog I/O....)
The M200 uses a unique pitch algorithm for dozens of voices of delay slash reverb
.)

Casey also made this statement " The analog processing is an important part of the M200 sound. It likely won't work for everyone if analog just isn't part of your setup.
The M200 hardware design has all the wood behind a very new arrow. It is entirely different than an M7 and is not designed to ever run M7 algorithms."

So does that mean it will involve some kind of digital/analog hybrid processing ???
The curious thing was it was talked and mentioned by Casey on several different forums GS and some others , couple years back but has seemed to fallen into the ether

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-04-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Hard to say what the heck all that means, but it doesn't seem to mean "all-analog guts."

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD