The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Gotta give em' credit $20 more for used, or should I say relic'ed ?
hmmm, glad car dealers arent like that- how bout a broken in 4 year old model for only $3K more? LOL
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
That is certainly one thing for point-to-point. Sooner or later an amp needs some work. Replacing caps, or whatever - and some like to modify amps. I have no idea if currents move any different in PCB vs. wires.
Yes, soldering/unsoldering on PCB traces is much harder than with PTP, and you make a good point, many people like modding amps.

I don't think PCB has any effect of tone as long as it's implemented right. Some would even say tone is more consistent with properly designed PCB circuits, because there's properly more differences from amp to amp with handwired circuits.

But the difference between most modern Fender amps and the vintage goes far beyond the wiring type. The transformers are different, the speakers are different, the way the jacks are wired to the circuit are different (jacks wired to PCB boards are notorious for causing problems), the cabinets are different, etc).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars