The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-28-2020, 11:39 PM

I checked with the only music teacher I knew. He felt the brand's only value was firewood.

btw...How long does it take for violin strings to stop stretching? Guitars I know. Violins... Just a guess. Can you give the strings a bit of pressing and pulling before the bridge to get them to settle?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-29-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I checked with the only music teacher I knew. He felt the brand's only value was firewood.

btw...How long does it take for violin strings to stop stretching? Guitars I know. Violins... Just a guess. Can you give the strings a bit of pressing and pulling before the bridge to get them to settle?
Yes, you can give the strings a little stretch, but be a bit more gentle than you would be with a guitar, as the components of the violin are more fragile. It's more likely that the tuning pegs are slipping, or the arched top is settling (on a violin in this price range).
Old 12-29-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
That's a terrible thing for the music teacher to say. Sounds quite demeaning. How does it sound to you? Your opinion counts too.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
If there are any violin teachers out there, let me know what you like.
Darol Anger teaches at ArtistWorks. It is an online platform.

I started with in-person instruction then migrated to ArtistWorks when my schedule for work changed. I chose ArtistWorks as I found out that Darol was teaching the courses.

Your wife may want to check out ArtistWorks. The online course is self-paced and allows for video uploads where Darol will review and give advice.

Another plus for artistworks is that their lesson videos show side and top angles where appropriate.

Last edited by source3; 12-29-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
That's a terrible thing for the music teacher to say. Sounds quite demeaning. How does it sound to you? Your opinion counts too.
Opinions count. Real experience and expertise counts a lot more.

I know we live in a post-fact and post-truth era. A scroll through social media reveals thousands of "experts" on law, epidemiology, economics, music etc.

We're lucky here on AGF to have many members who truly are experts in several areas.

A person shouldn't ask for advice and then complain (I realize you're not the OP). Very often on this and other fora we're not really asking for advice, we want confirmation of our choice/opinion.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Sometimes the truth hurts.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:

On the "firewood" comment - he may be correct. But if your wife is able to learn to play with it then it's fine. Most beginners on bowed instruments are going to make anything sound terrible at first. This is why I recommend renting.

About string stretch - most violins use tapered wood pegs in tapered holes instead of geared tuners. They're much more likely to slip than for the string to stretch. You can get "peg dope" to help them stay put. I prefer the kind that comes as a paste in a tube over the liquid drops.

I have over 20 instruments hanging on the wall in my music room. The 5 fiddles almost never need retuning, while the mandos, banjos and guitars frequently do.

There is a skill you develop for tuning up and gently pushing the peg into the tapered hole to seat it. Mechanical fine tuners on the tailpiece are helpful and not too costly. If a person is serious about violin I strongly recommend perfection pegs - geared tuners that look like standard wooden pegs.

IMPORTANT NOTE: when loosening/removing strings on a violin, NEVER remove or completely slacken all the strings at once (unless you're replacing the bridge or tailpiece). The bridge will fall over/off and getting it repostioned correctly is beyond the skill of most beginners. ALSO the sound post can fall over inside if the bridge comes off or you slacken all the strings a lot. Resetting a sound post requires special tools and skill. Change strings one at a time. If the sound post falls (you'll hear it rolling around in there) DON'T TUNE back up! There isn't enough support for the top without it.

Last edited by Mandobart; 12-30-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:36 AM

TBman, your link just sent me down the rabbit hole. I haven't played viola in years, but miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Now, I know nothing about violins, but I always wanted to try (I played viola briefly in grade school). So I asked Santa to bring this:

https://fiddlershop.com/collections/...-violin-outfit

It's electric, has a headphone jack, output jack and even comes with ear buds. My goal is to learn to play a bit and not be killed during my sleep by my wife

I see it as a stepping stone to a better instrument, but not being sure if I would stick with it, I went the "Fender starter guitar" route for now as opposed to something better.

It won't get it in time for the big day, but it'll get here.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:31 AM

Just to be clear, I asked about the string stretch because it is a thing in guitars, maybe more in nylon strings that steel. I just wanted to know what to expect. I don't know if we have any issues with pegs slipping or anything, yet. This violin has the four micro tuners on the tail piece. I like them! I don't have the peg tuning technique down yet.

I might get some of the mentioned " peg dope ", as I have a student cello that was my moms that I would like to learn to play. It wouldn't stay in tune and a local repair guy added micro tuners to it.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-31-2020, 09:55 AM

Two of my kids started out on eBay violins and violas, that cost less than $100 each.
They stayed in tune long enough for them to learn the basics and move on to better instruments...Also lasted long enough to donate.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
TBman, your link just sent me down the rabbit hole. I haven't played viola in years, but miss it!
Uh-oh,

I'll receive it tomorrow. Drum roll please

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments