The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Wow, Glenn! Fantastic! One of my favorite Beatles songs
Hi Larry!

Thank you! And how nice to hear from you! Knowing your music, I can imagine that this song would really appeal to you so I'm glad you like how this came out!

It's funny... my wife told me that she has been trying to get me to learn to play this song for years. I must have been deaf; I just seemed to have missed that this song was important to her. Now a YouTube friend asks for it and I respond within a couple of weeks.

But my wife is happy because I finally am playing this song for her!

I am so glad you like this Larry!

- Glenn
Old 07-31-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn - that was wonderful! I love that you confidently worked your own timing for the tune, and your take on the middle bridge (at 2:00 mark) is a delightful one. I think it improves on the original! The sunrise photo works well, though the shiny MOP on the Martin at times shines like the sun in your close-ups.

Hard to believe this is your first 'go' at this iconic song - so glad your friend requested it.

Well done!!!
Hi Carmel Cedar!

Well, you are making me smile, too! Thanks so much for your very kind and supportive comments! Believe me, they are gratefully appreciated!

You know, maybe I have worked my own kind of timing for this song and just didn't realize it. I thought I was pretty close to what George Harrison did, but really, once I figured out the song structure and the chords and those very appealing licks in the song, I just concentrated on learning this song over about 3 days of effort until my fingers just got too sore.

And I know from the experiences of learning other songs like this that after a while my own take seems to evolve and I don't even know that I am doing it. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not, depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

If I were trying to teach this song to others, this is probably not the right way to do this song. But as a performance of the song where I'm allowed to put my own spin on this, then it's okay and maybe even a good thing.

But, really, I don't think I realized that I had added my own personality to this song. Thanks for noticing Carmel Cedar!

And yes, the MOP bling on that D-45 is sure pretty. When I'm playing it, I don't even see that stuff, but it sure shows up in a video!

Thanks once again, Carmel Cedar, for all your support and kind comments!

- Glenn
Old 08-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Hi Glenn!
Well here we are with one day since you posted this and TWO response pages already!!
that alone should indicate .....job well done!! LOL!!

Really enjoyed all of this, but especially the very precise picking pattern which, to my ear, didn't leave out or mute a single note! For this song, that seems so important as it's a classic for this. You could play that intro anywhere and folks would recognize that song.

Fun to see your new "set" with background! You're operating on all cylinders these days!!!!!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Glenn!
Well here we are with one day since you posted this and TWO response pages already!!
that alone should indicate .....job well done!! LOL!!

Really enjoyed all of this, but especially the very precise picking pattern which, to my ear, didn't leave out or mute a single note! For this song, that seems so important as it's a classic for this. You could play that intro anywhere and folks would recognize that song.

Fun to see your new "set" with background! You're operating on all cylinders these days!!!!!!!
Hi Fred!

Thanks very much for taking the time to watch so thoroughly and then to comment here!

Your comment about the accuracy of the melodic guitar accompaniment is really astute. I'm sure that's why I ended up wanting to finger pick this accompaniment -- I could be more accurate and control the character of each note better. I am just not as good with a flat pick, so I decided not to fight it and try finger picking this.

I do agree with you, too, in that I think this is such an iconic and recognizable song because of the melodic accompaniment that it's really important in playing this song to bring out that melody in the guitar. But I guess not everybody recognizes this song from that melodic accompaniment. Before recording this I played the guitar accompaniment for one of my younger sisters, thinking she would react immediately. And she didn't. She wasn't sure what I was playing. So,.......

Regarding the background, I learned some stuff about green screens from KevWind from the Show & Tell section back around Christmas time, I think. So I ordered an inexpensive green screen and messed with it, but I did a lousy job of lighting and there were too many wrinkles in the green screen cloth hanging behind me for it to work well. Finally my wife helped me with some ideas on how to get the wrinkles out -- we bought a handheld steamer -- and then I bought some inexpensive lights and reflectors. So finally I got this put together enough to make it work mostly right.

I did the song "Yesterday" with just a black background, and then after that I tried some other backgrounds -- steam locomotives, etc on Lightfoot's "Steel Rail Blues." I like the black background best, but it seems there are times when a song calls for something else, so I thought I would try it.

I was hoping people wouldn't think that these background ideas looked too hokey.

I'm so glad you had time to watch and comment Fred!

Thank you!
- Glenn
Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 PM

That's beautiful, Glenn. Fine fingerpicking and vocal!

I recorded a fingerpicked version some time ago -- that I played at 80mph for some reason! (Where's the fire??)

Old 08-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB View Post
That's beautiful, Glenn. Fine fingerpicking and vocal!

I recorded a fingerpicked version some time ago -- that I played at 80mph for some reason! (Where's the fire??)

Hi John,

Whoa! That's a nice solo finger picking job on this song! It is a little faster than the tempo used for singing the vocal, but it's so different this way. Wow, really interesting! It makes its own fascinating little solo piece.

Cool!

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my version, John!

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Beautiful interpretation, wonderful playing!
Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre.g View Post
Beautiful interpretation, wonderful playing!
Thank you Andre!

I'm so glad you like how this came out!

I was just listening to your "Summer Rain" composition! Well done on that -- beautiful piece!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Andre! It's much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2019, 01:01 PM

Very good and professionnal as usual !!
Hope that that you are doing well !
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 08-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Very good and professionnal as usual !!
Hope that that you are doing well !
Thank you Johan!

I'm so glad you like this! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Also, as I mentioned on your recent Neil Young Harvest Guitar instrumental, it's great to see you back in Show & Tell on the AGF.

I am doing quite well, all things considered! I hope you are, too! You take care!

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2019, 08:30 PM

An interesting arrangement, especially the bridge. I'm usually a purist when it comes to this song, but I really like your version. Very nice.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Excellent, Glenn. I liked your take... very nicely done. I loved the fingerpicking... sounded better than the original. And what a lovely song George wrote.

You really can get some gorgeous pictures from the cockpit... pretty nice to be that far above most of the atmosphere.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Really nice version Glenn! Love the sound of that guitar!
Old 08-04-2019, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
An interesting arrangement, especially the bridge. I'm usually a purist when it comes to this song, but I really like your version. Very nice.
Thank you David!

I appreciate that you took the time to listen and comment here! I know I took a few liberties with this song, but with the change from flat pick to finger picking, I thought they made musical sense. I'm glad you felt this came out well!

Thanks for listening!

- Glenn
Old 08-04-2019, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Excellent, Glenn. I liked your take... very nicely done. I loved the fingerpicking... sounded better than the original. And what a lovely song George wrote.

You really can get some gorgeous pictures from the cockpit... pretty nice to be that far above most of the atmosphere.
Hi Kerbie,

I'm so glad you liked my version of this great old song! Thanks so much!

I'm also glad you liked the background pictures taken from way up high above the clouds! I think a pilot of a commercial jet flying up at 30,000+ feet really has some wonderful views of sunrises and sunsets from the cockpit. I'm sure you have seen a few yourself!

Thanks so much for watching and taking the time to comment Kerbie!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell