The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-15-2019, 03:34 AM

Default Squeaky tuners on Ortega

I'm looking to replace the tuning machines on my Ortega R138SN if anyone can recommend a tuner that will be accurate and smooth but won't cost more than the guitar is worth. But until I do, something to get rid of the squeak would be nice. The string slots in the bone nut are not too tight, and I keep them lubricated with pencil lead. I'm thinking of removing the tuning machines and putting a little beeswax on the sides of the hole. Has anyone tried this?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 AM

Check out www.allstringsnylon.com

#1. Chuck is always willing to discuss things with folks. He can give you some great professional advice on eliminating the squeak.

#2 If you decide to change the tuners, Chuck has some nice Rubner tuner sets for around $100. Which is considerably less than what I saw for a listed price for your Ortega R138SN.

Lastly, check out eBay. The Der Jung tuners that are typically sold there are nice and would run you about $50 depending on your style selection.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 AM

Put a couple of tiny drops of oil on the gear, and that should do the trick. I also use a touch of wax on the nut slots instead of pencil lead, I find it works much better.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 AM

Thanks! I'd put 50 euro into it but would move on to a better flamenco guitar if it got too expensive. The "slim neck" is okay, but I need to make a new nut to space the strings a bit further apart.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 AM

Grazie! I'll try it>

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical