The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2005, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the diagram. That is exactly what the baggs tech told me to do. I pulled it apart and started fiddling last night and quickly decided to let a friend with a lot of experience finish the job. I will let you know as soon as it is up and running and maybe get sound file recorded. Thanks again
Old 10-05-2005, 08:26 PM

Just got the guitar all back together and it works!!!! Man I was worrying about this one, I thought I was going to have to put another hole in the guitar just to get all the pickups to work. Oh, and it sounds great by the way, it still needs some tweaking but when I am done I think it will be exactly what I am looking for.

Here is basically what I did, I am using that fishman link you posted guitaniac as a reference. When the dual source preamp is in mono mode the signal is sent only down the red wire, the white wire is not used. I disconnected the white wire and bent it back and connect the M1 signal to that ring tab. Then it was just a matter of clipping the ground to the sleave and it was done. Now I have the dual source (ibeam and internal mic) connected to the tip and the M1 signal with the ring.

Thank you guys both for your help!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:44 AM

jstancil,

Its great to hear that you've got your triple source system wired up and working.

You'll probably find it useful now to return to the Dual Source User's Guide and review section "C" (using the mic phase switch) and section "D" (using the mic's tuneable low cut filter). Both of those controls can effect your iBeam/mic blend sound considerably, and the optimum settings can vary with different performing and/or recording situations.

Regarding phase relationships between signal sources, you'll also want to be aware that the phase relationship between the iBeam/mic blend and the M1 signal will also make a difference in your sound. You'll want to experiment with the PADI's phase inversion switch and listen for which phase (of the M1 signal) gives you the best sounding iBeam/mic/M1 blend.

I also took a look at section "B" in the User Guide (regarding the high gain/low gain switch) and noticed that the Baggs folks discourage substituting the iBeam for the ribbon transducer (too late now! ). I presume that they feel the ribbon transducer/mic combo works better than the iBeam/mic combo. (Something to consider if you should get the urge to tinker again.) In any event, I suspect that the iBeam will likely work best with the same high gain setting which works best with the ribbon transducer. You can experiment with that switch to see what happens, but I suspect that its already in the best position for the iBeam.

Reading the Dual Source User Guide has been quite enlighting for me. Its a much more versital piece of gear than I would have first imagined (with a gain switch to accomodate different UST or mag sources, a phase inverion switch for the mic and a tuneable {from 2000Hz to 100Hz} low cut filter for the mic). I can't help but wonder if the original owner had explored all of his/her available sound shaping tools before swapping out the ribbon transducer for the iBeam.

One thing which might be interesting to experiment with, jstancil, is blending a pure mic signal with the M1 signal. You could set things up so that you're getting a solid,feedback resistant low end from the M1 and an airy, natural sounding high end from the mic. It could also prove enlightening to try an M1/pure iBeam blend along the same general approach - low end from the M1 and high end from the iBeam.

At any rate, you now have plenty of interesting blending options to explore. I hope that you'll keep us updated on the blends which you find most pleasing.

Have fun.
Gary
Old 02-22-2022, 09:35 AM

Default Using TTRS Jack for active dual source pickup?

Hey guys I just posted a similar question in another thread. So far I haven't come across multi-pickup concepts that include a TRRS jack, though not sure if this actually works..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummabuay View Post
Hey guys
I am planning on doing something very similar to @alexcinca. My aim is to combine the Anthem (for the natural sound part) with an M80Mag (to run through effect chain).
Here is the wiring diagram I came up with. It includes a TRRS Switching Jack from Fishman which should allow me to output 2 channels plus power switching for the Anthem.

My thoughts behind this are:
- Using a TRS cable I can run both together with a 2-Ch amp.
- If playing on a very noisy stage, I can use the M80 in active mode without the Anthem.
- I can just plug in a TS cable if I only wanna use the Anthem or if I'm running a minimalistic setup.
- If I happen to completely run out of battery, I'd still have M80 passive avaliable.
- I know one of either pickups alone would yield a perfectly fine sound. I wanna do this primarily for the purpose of creating something cool and learning new skills!

Open questions from my side:
- I guess If I plug in a TS cable, the M80 Hot and Ground would kinda short-circuit and drain the little battery in minutes or even burn the device..? I'd have to remove the battery or quickly unplug the 3.5mm cable from the M80 before plugging in a TS Cable to avoid this, right?
- I regards to potential cross talk issues: Definitely not a master of impedance, but the two output impedances seem to be quite similar (Anthem 650 Ohm, M80 (active mode) 1.5kOhm). In combination with twisted quality cables, what are the odds of still running into issues?

Thinking even further..
- My ultimate goal would be to have one battery pack that supplies the needed voltage/current to both pickups and is chargeable through a USB port or so. Wondering if that's technically even possible and how much of a hustle that would be to build such a circuitry .

Thanks heaps in advance for thinking through this with me!

Img 1 Wiring diagram:

Img 2 Optional battery pack idea:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification