The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-21-2022, 01:40 PM

Default Linda Manzer on how to talk to a luthier about your build

Ran across this today. Not a lot of new information for a lot of us, but I thought it could be helpful to some:

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-ad...gning-a-guitar
Old 05-21-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Ran across this today. Not a lot of new information for a lot of us, but I thought it could be helpful to some:

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-ad...gning-a-guitar
Thanks for the link. I think anything that you can glean off of a luthier is helpful down the road.

Tommy
Old 05-21-2022, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this.

In my dozen or so commissioned instruments, what I've spent the most time on is coming to a common understanding with the builder of the terms we're going to use.

Describing sound is so idiosyncratic, subjective and tricky. 'Bright', 'dark', 'woody', 'dry', 'sparkly', 'fat', 'clear', 'muddy' can all mean different things depending on the player, like Linda's two clients' differing use of the word 'syrupy'.

So the builder and I keep asking each other questions until we both feel comfortable that we know what the other is talking about, and only then we can move forward.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Thanks for this.

In my dozen or so commissioned instruments, what I've spent the most time on is coming to a common understanding with the builder of the terms we're going to use.

Describing sound is so idiosyncratic, subjective and tricky. 'Bright', 'dark', 'woody', 'dry', 'sparkly', 'fat', 'clear', 'muddy' can all mean different things depending on the player, like Linda's two clients' differing use of the word 'syrupy'.

So the builder and I keep asking each other questions until we both feel comfortable that we know what the other is talking about, and only then we can move forward.
Why not just give links to the builder recordings of what you like, what you're wanting to hear in a guitar? There are thousands of recordings now of many types of tones and timbres from fine guitars that can easily be found.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:26 PM

Ms. Manzer is a terrific builder, lots of good info there.
Jean Larivee planted some superior seeds I think !
Old 05-22-2022, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Why not just give links to the builder recordings of what you like, what you're wanting to hear in a guitar? There are thousands of recordings now of many types of tones and timbres from fine guitars that can easily be found.
Because even the best recordings ever made, with microphones from in front of the instrument, are still never going to sound like what I hear when I play the guitar with my ears behind and above it and it's vibrating against my body. It's a real and important difference.

Besides, I usually want something a little different than what other guitars sound like, even those by the same builder. If I wanted what one of their other guitars sounded like, I'd just buy that.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
True, but the client may have specific ergonomic needs that may have priority. For me, the neck/fretboard has always taken the longest to iron out.

Tommy
Old 05-22-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
True, but the client may have specific ergonomic needs that may have priority. For me, the neck/fretboard has always taken the longest to iron out.

Tommy

Yeah, I was just referring to sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop