The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-19-2022, 11:18 AM

Default Heel strap button

I want to install a heel strap button on a couple of acoustic guitars I own.

A search for buttons online have raised questions for me. First, is there a difference between a button for acoustic and other types of guitars?

Also, what size drill would be used for this endeavor, or, would one use a drill according to the inside diameter of the threads? I am aware that drill depth should be monitored by using tape for a visual.

If it matters, the guitars in question are a Gibson L-00 Standard and a Recording King RP-M9M parlor.

Would like opinions on quality pins, and where to purchase if possible.

Thanks for any opinions.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:04 PM

I like the strap buttons that are more mushroom shaped than the ones that are funnel shaped. I think they hold better. I will not use plastic ones as I have seen them break.
Different brands will come with different size screws, metric, imperial. I like to put a drill bit in front of screw and should be able to just see threads on either side of the bit. Test your screw for a few threads, if it is too hard to turn go up 1/64" in size or lubricate it with a bit of wax or bar soap. You do not want it to break off in your heel, ask me how I know.
Before drilling, check the placement. You do not want the strap end wedged too tight against the guitar. It will be hard to put on and may fall off easier. I also like my strap to wrap comfortably around the heel, not to close to the curve. I also make my straps narrow, like an inch wide, the few inches where they wrap around.

I had good luck with these or similar but you may have to shorten the screws

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F...b_b_asin_title

Good luck
Old 05-19-2022, 04:16 PM

Best buttons I have found are available on Taylor's website. You want to use these rather than buttons designed for electric guitars because the size of the screw is more appropriate for drilling into the heel of your guitar.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:50 PM

Default a thought

Drill size is dependent on the screw size. Use a drill that is about the same diameter as the unthreaded shaft of the screw. Test first on scrap wood. Buy test screws the same size as the 'real' screw and feel confident before drilling on the guitar. Screws are cheap. Use a center punch to locate the hole before drilling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair