The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-23-2022, 02:28 PM

Default NGsD - Fender and Gibson

This thread would be more accurately entitled New Guitars Week. I recently missed out on buying a used Gibson Les Paul Jr. at a fair price, which was sold before I could go check it out. I was disappointed because I've been wanting a single pickup solid-body guitar with a P-90 in it. As you know, the list of guitars that meet those specs is fairly short.

Then, earlier this week, I ran across a used Fender Noventa and traded another guitar plus a little cash for it. This Noventa will never be mistaken for a Les Paul Jr., but it checked all my boxes and plays very well and sounds really good. This P-90 can be a little ice-picky at full clean high volume, but rolling off the tone knob a bit calms it down nicely without muffling it. I've been incredibly busy and haven't had much playing time, but I think this one is a keeper.

Then yesterday I had a dental appointment about 20 minutes away from my favorite guitar shop. They had a guitar that I wanted to go look at and, most likely, buy. But the traffic was horrendous and I gave up and headed home, convinced that I didn't need to buy another guitar anyway. Near home I passed a pawn shop and decided to stop in and see what they had. (I've NEVER had ANY luck at this shop.) Lo and behold, what is hanging on the wall? A 2011 Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute Goldtop.

I've been wanting one of these for a while, but I've never seen one in the wild until yesterday. At first, I wasn't sure what I was looking at, as there is no model designation on the headstock (other than "Les Paul") or the truss rod cover. I knew it was a Studio or Special because of no binding on it. And then it occurred to me what it was, which was confirmed when the guy at the shop handed it to me and I saw "2011" embossed on the back of the headstock. The best part is I was able to buy it at a really great price that made it a no-brainer purchase.

It's got a few dings and a little bit of buckle rash on the back, but nothing too bad. The worst is the ding below the tailpiece you can see in the pics. I've made a few adjustments and it plays pretty well. It's got just a touch too much relief in the neck, but I'll tackle that when I get some time.

So, here is my new Dynamic P-90 Duo hanging out together:

Last edited by GoPappy; 04-23-2022 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Fix Images
Old 04-23-2022, 07:34 PM

Nice! Never saw that model Fender before.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:32 PM

Congratulations on both guitars--that's quite the pair!
Old 04-23-2022, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! It appears we have similar thoughts. These are my two most recent purchases.Fender-Noventa-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-Fiesta-Red-17773-2_1600x1600.jpg20220406_192904.jpg
Old 04-24-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
...yesterday I had a dental appointment about 20 minutes away from my favorite guitar shop. They had a guitar that I wanted to go look at and, most likely, buy. But the traffic was horrendous and I gave up and headed home, convinced that I didn't need to buy another guitar anyway. Near home I passed a pawn shop and decided to stop in and see what they had. (I've NEVER had ANY luck at this shop.) Lo and behold, what is hanging on the wall? A 2011 Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute Goldtop.

I've been wanting one of these for a while, but I've never seen one in the wild until yesterday...The best part is I was able to buy it at a really great price that made it a no-brainer purchase...
Great guitars, and for those not in the know (like typical pawnshop owners) a real sleeper - once in a while they can still be had cheap, if you're willing to look off the beaten path and avoid the music store/Reverb/eBay circuit (FWIW I've turned down $1400 for mine). While I use mine as a straight-ahead rock guitar, it's far more versatile than that - I've never found a better surf guitar, it'll twang like a Gretsch on steroids for rockabilly, and with a set of 11- or 12-gauge flatwounds it'll do jazz credibly (keep in mind that the original Les Paul, unlike Fender's early offerings, was intended as a solidbody jazz guitar)...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 04-24-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Very nice! It appears we have similar thoughts. These are my two most recent purchases.Attachment 73112Attachment 73113
Great minds think alike! Your Pelham Blue LP is really gorgeous. I really like the contrast between the blue top and the back/sides.

How are you liking the Noventa?
Old 04-24-2022, 06:31 AM

What great guitars! I have a soft spot for your 2011 Gibson because I have the same 2013 Gold Top Tribute model (as does Steve ^). It's a fantastic rock 'n roller for me. Hold on to that one.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Great guitars, and for those not in the know (like typical pawnshop owners) a real sleeper - once in a while they can still be had cheap, if you're willing to look off the beaten path and avoid the music store/Reverb/eBay circuit (FWIW I've turned down $1400 for mine). While I use mine as a straight-ahead rock guitar, it's far more versatile than that - I've never found a better surf guitar, it'll twang like a Gretsch on steroids for rockabilly, and with a set of 11- or 12-gauge flatwounds it'll do jazz credibly (keep in mind that the original Les Paul, unlike Fender's early offerings, was intended as a solidbody jazz guitar)...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Steve, if it wasn’t for a few of your posts about the limited edition 2011 Studio Goldtop 60’s Tribute, I probably wouldn’t own this guitar. I had decided some time ago that I needed a guitar with P-90’s in it. Then I saw one of your posts about this model. I did some research on it and decided to keep my eyes open for one.

My typical response to finding something like that at a pawn shop is to go home and think about it and research it to make sure I know what it really is and what it’s worth. But there was no way I was leaving this Goldtop hanging on the wall at that shop.

So, thank you for your informative posts about this guitar.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What great guitars! I have a soft spot for your 2011 Gibson because I have the same 2013 Gold Top Tribute model (as does Steve ^). It's a fantastic rock 'n roller for me. Hold on to that one.
Dru, this one ain’t going anywhere. I’ve admired Les Paul guitars from afar for many years. Never thought I’d own one. This baby is staying with me.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Well you have a lovely pair of electric guitars there, Pappy!

Very nice! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 04-24-2022, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Great minds think alike! Your Pelham Blue LP is really gorgeous. I really like the contrast between the blue top and the back/sides.

How are you liking the Noventa?
I like it quite a lot. It really is surprising how easy it is to get great sounds from it. Since I also own the strat version, I can always switch if I need the neck pickup, but honestly, the single pickup does 95 percent of what I need.

Those are two beautiful guitars you have there and I bet you are really happy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars