The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: Which guitar next?
Epiphone '59 Les Paul 13 33.33%
Fender Player Stratocaster 26 66.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2022, 11:32 AM

Default Strat or Les Paul?

In addition to the acoustic guitars listed in my sig I also own an electric guitar, an Epiphone IBG ES-335. IMO the ES-335 is perfect for the genera of music I like to play - Classic rock & roll, blues, country, and jazz.

I'd like to add another electric guitar to my collection. But I'm really conflicted over what one to get.

My first thought is another Epiphone - The IBG Epiphone Les Paul '59. It comes with a hard shell case (something my ES-335 DIDN'T), Gibson Burstbucker pickups, vintage wiring, and a AAA figured maple top (I went with the figured maple ES-335). I'm thinking it will be a nice complement to my 335, and will be good for the same genera of music.

My other though is a Fender Player Stratocaster. I like this idea because the Stratocaster is basically the exact OPPOSITE guitar from my ES-335 - A solid body not a semi-hollow, three single coil pickups rather than two humbuckers, a tromolo bridge rather than a stop tail. I also really like the ergonomics of a Stratocaster, with the arm rest cut, belly cut, double cutaways, and all the turners on the top of the headstock. And it's not like I CAN'T play classic rock & roll, blues, country, and jazz on a Stratocaster.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 04-05-2022, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

What I am going to say should be taken as a generalization. Either guitar can do a number of different things, but here is my thoughts. If you like overdriven tones, go withe the LP (that Epi 59 is a great guitar!). If you like cleans, go with the strat. Yes, the strat overdrives, and the LP can be played clean, but the strat excels at clean and at light overdrive. The Les Paul excels at overdrive and distortion.

There are lots of other differences in these, from weight to scale length. In my opinion, since you already have a 335, which will overlap the LP more, I would get the Player strat.

BTW, I own an IBG ES335. I switched the pickups to Antiquities and it is a KILLER guitar!
Old 04-05-2022, 01:18 PM

Both are great guitars. The Strat will give you something that is more different than the Les Paul brings (when compared to your ES-335) but that doesn't mean that should be your choice. The Strat also feels different than an Epiphone based on scale length and radius.

If you need the diversity, get the Strat. If not, get the one you think you'll play the most.

What amp are you using? That's 50% of your tone right there.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What amp are you using? That's 50% of your tone right there.

I've got a Yamaha THR10II Wireless that I connect to with a Line 6 transmitter. Still kicking myself that I didn't spring for the THR30II. I miss not having an effects loop.

Strat does clean better? I'll be honest, I play my 335 using just the neck pickup, right into the clean channel with only a little reverb. OK, maybe a LOT of reverb, but whatever, a nice clean tone. I figured I'd play the Les Paul the same way. I always knew the bridge pickup was there and I could drive it a little dirty if I wanted to a la Black Betty (Wham A Jam).

One of the things I like about the 335 & the Les Paul is that they feel like my acoustic guitars - Same nut width and fretboard radius. I've played around with Telecasters and I don't hate the 9.5" radius or the 25.5" scale length.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
get the one you think you'll play the most
That's the answer, isn't it? The best possible guitar is the one you will pick up and play.

I would like the Strat. I WANT the Les Paul.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
That's the answer, isn't it? The best possible guitar is the one you will pick up and play.

I would like the Strat. I WANT the Les Paul.
If you get the Strat, even if you like it, you'll always be thinking about wanting/owning a Les Paul. Get the Les Paul now and then get the Strat down the road.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
If you get the Strat, even if you like it, you'll always be thinking about wanting/owning a Les Paul. Get the Les Paul now and then get the Strat down the road.
The IBG '59's that I'm looking at are considered Limited Edition, although it seems to only be limited to "anyone with $850." I DO like some of the retailer exclusive color schemes from Sweetwater and American Music Supply.

And a Player Strat is a Player Strat. Those hang on the wall in 5's & 10's at every mom & pop shop and Guitar Center in the country.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
In addition to the acoustic guitars listed in my sig I also own an electric guitar, an Epiphone IBG ES-335. IMO the ES-335 is perfect for the genera of music I like to play - Classic rock & roll, blues, country, and jazz...

My other though is a Fender Player Stratocaster. I like this idea because the Stratocaster is basically the exact OPPOSITE guitar from my ES-335 - A solid body not a semi-hollow, three single coil pickups rather than two humbuckers, a tremolo bridge rather than a stop tail. I also really like the ergonomics of a Stratocaster, with the arm rest cut, belly cut, double cutaways, and all the turners on the top of the headstock. And it's not like I CAN'T play classic rock & roll, blues, country, and jazz on a Stratocaster.
I own (among others) a P-90 LP, Gretsch 5622 3-pickup semi-hollow, Epiphone Ultra 339 w/full-size humbuckers, and Godin CW II full-hollow jazzbox...

You just listed all the reasons I still own a Strat, not the least of which is that it's a totally different animal than any of the others, and while the LP would be a nice complement to the 335 the Strat adds tonal diversity to your stable - great in a stage setting if you want to use dedicated instruments for specific songs/sets...

I'll buck the conventional wisdom here and suggest that you go with a Strat, save your bucks in the meantime, and when you're ready look for a P-90 LP: IME you won't find a better straight-ahead classic-rock (or surf... ) guitar, you can dial it back for some sweet Bop-era jazz tones (bear in mind that the LP - unlike its erstwhile Fender competitors - was originally conceived as a solidbody jazz guitar), it'll even get some cool Gretsch-on-steroids country sounds if you run through your amp's low-gain input - and when you find yourself getting stale it's nice to have a variety of distinctively different tones at your fingertips to help jumpstart your creativity...
Old 04-05-2022, 04:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There's one in every crowd: I'm going to suggest another idea: Have you considered a Telecaster? I mainly played Les Pauls for twenty years before venturing out before adding a Gibson ES-335. The ES-335 became the center of my recording session kit. Everyone said I should get a Strat so I did, and it offers many things. The last Fender I got was a Tele, and oddly, I felt far more at home with the Tele than the Strat. Why? Because most Strats have trem tailpieces. Every time you bend, the tailpiece flexes and fights the bend, so you have to bend further to get to pitch. Now, mind you, I've still got a Strat and nothing except a trem of one kind or another will do if you want to gently wobble chords.

But in my work on recording sessions I've found that I can cover the majority of basic electric guitar territory with an ES-335 and a Tele. I wish I had reversed the order and made my first branch into Fender world a Tele. Surprise! More HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-05-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Hi Phydaux,

My first electric guitar was a Gibson ES-335 back in about 1978. I did not feel the need for another electric guitar until about 1992 when I bought a Fender Strat. I played the Strat as much as I played the ES-335. To me, these are both super flexible electric guitars.

I do think Bob Womack has a point about the Telecaster, as well. If I had purchased a good Tele in '92 instead of the Strat, I probably would have adapted to that, as well. However, the Tele is not quite as good a guitar as the Strat when you are going for that Mark Knopfler sound, which I really, really love. So, for me, the Strat was the right move, though not that long ago I acquired a used MIM Tele with USA noiseless pickups and electronics. I play the Strats more, but that is just me.

In 2002 I bought a really nice Gibson Les Paul Standard with a lovely flamed top and heritage cherry finish. However, I have never adapted to that guitar. To me, it does not sound as good as my '78 ES-335. And I am really not a hard rock player, which is what my Les Paul is more suited to.

So,.... It all depends on your tastes and preferences. The electric guitars I use the most are my Gibson ES-335 and my Fender Strat. I actually have two Strats now, a Strat Plus from 1992 and a Fender Strat Pro II from 2019. I like the Strat Pro II the best of the two Strats.

- Glenn
Old 04-05-2022, 07:09 PM

I'm biased but a Stratocaster every day of the week!
Old 04-05-2022, 07:48 PM

You need both, and then there's that Tele too. And Steve gets a big "Amen!" from me on P90s. See how helpful we are!

Picking up on your outright desires for the LP, then that may be the one to get first. Everyone is right though that the Strat is more different, more "something else."

But the heart knows.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-05-2022, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

You could in fact split the difference and get a Noventa Strat with two P90s, or, get a Jazzmaster!
Old 04-05-2022, 10:45 PM

I voted strat, just because it is more different from the 335.
But... As Bob Womack suggests, see if you like a Telecaster.

My only tele(ish) guitar is a partscaster with tele style hardware and strat shapes, though.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-05-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I've got a Yamaha THR10II Wireless that I connect to with a Line 6 transmitter. Still kicking myself that I didn't spring for the THR30II. I miss not having an effects loop.

Strat does clean better? I'll be honest, I play my 335 using just the neck pickup, right into the clean channel with only a little reverb. OK, maybe a LOT of reverb, but whatever, a nice clean tone. I figured I'd play the Les Paul the same way. I always knew the bridge pickup was there and I could drive it a little dirty if I wanted to a la Black Betty (Wham A Jam).

One of the things I like about the 335 & the Les Paul is that they feel like my acoustic guitars - Same nut width and fretboard radius. I've played around with Telecasters and I don't hate the 9.5" radius or the 25.5" scale length.

Yup I agree. Both the Strat and LP does clean very well, they're just voiced differently and it really depends on your mood.

Personally, I'd go for the strat. It's comfortable and ergonomic. I like the way the neck automatically points up towards you when you sit down and play, whereas my LP is parallel. I can get away without having to use a footstool for my strat, and playing standing up feels so much better.

At the end of the day, try both and take the guitar that inspires you the most. It's not always about tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars