The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-25-2022, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Tube News!

Just saw this today on Guitar.com
https://guitar.com/features/intervie...actory-crisis/
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-25-2022, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Well, this is heartening news for an old guy with an old Fender Deluxe Reverb from 1976! I don't run through tubes much, but it will be good to be able to get quality tubes from an American manufacturer again...

When I need them!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-25-2022, 12:44 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I like this news from two angles: I want U.S.-based production to happen and I used to live near the Western Electric plant in Rossville. In fact, my favorite guitar store was near there.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-25-2022, 02:24 PM

Just last night a bass player was cracking wise that all us “tube amp guys” were going to be in big trouble, with Russia not supplying vacuum tubes to us any longer. Funny how things work out sometimes, isn’t it? God Bless America🇺🇸
Old 03-25-2022, 02:42 PM

I read that earlier today. Great news. Thinking that the guitar amp tubes will be at least twice the price of non-US tubes but if Western Electric can live up to the quality aspect that is discussed (which they should be able to do) they should sell well.

I just checked Western Electric's website ... their audiophile 300-B tube listed as $699 each. Wow.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I read that earlier today. Great news. Thinking that the guitar amp tubes will be at least twice the price of non-US tubes but if Western Electric can live up to the quality aspect that is discussed (which they should be able to do) they should sell well.

I just checked Western Electric's website ... their audiophile 300-B tube listed as $699 each. Wow.
Yeah, everyone talks a good game but when push comes to shove I wonder how many people will be willing to pay a serious premium for US tubes. Look at how many people here have Chinese knock-off pedals and amps.

Still, an interesting story.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
...I wonder how many people will be willing to pay a serious premium for US tubes...
If they make them to the same standard as the new-old-stock JAN tubes many "American-amp" players consider the criterion for construction and tone, I'd happily pay a similar price for a brand-new American-made product - especially since the price of the Russian mil-spec tubes I've been using in my Bugera V-Series amps has taken a whopping price hike (an extra $100 for a full set for the V22 alone ); unfortunately these are fickle times we live in, IMO it'll take two years or so to get enough product into the retail pipeline to make a real difference, and a lot can go wrong on many fronts in the interim - great news in the abstract, but let's not count our chickens before they're hatched...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 03-26-2022 at 07:11 PM. Reason: gramer/speling
Old 03-26-2022, 08:54 AM

It's good news, but too late for me: I and the other guitarist in our band already did our tube panic buying a couple of weeks ago. We both have multiple tube amps and wanted to be able to use them if a tube goes bad. It was actually not as bad as I thought it'd be: the prices weren't really inflated like I expected, and I got everything I wanted within a week. My main reasoning is that I thought when I inevitably sell my tube amps, they'd be a much more attractive purchase for someone if they came with a spare set of tubes.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:08 PM

I have JJs in my Bugera V22 Infinium. I have a spare JJ 12AX7 and EL84 and I also still have the original Chinese-built tubes, so I'm not panicked about replacements at the moment.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-26-2022, 03:34 PM

I have 4 used EL34s and 4 12AX7 tubes from when I re-tubed my Marshal JCM2000 about 10 years ago so I wasn't concerned on that front. But my Marshall Vintage Modern has KT-66 tubes, it's my #1 amp and I have no spares... and it's not a popular tube either. I didn't buy spares but it did raise my concerns. I love that amp.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Get some spares. They seem to be available for about $50 each. Or switch to 6L6 and cut the cost in half.

I will look at the tube stock I have and see if any would fit guitar amps. I need to sell some, but probably aren’t the right ones. Power tubes I have used for stereos are 300b and KT 55 I think.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:12 AM

This is great news for many reasons...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:10 AM

https://www.lavintagegear.com/tubes/
Old 04-01-2022, 06:09 PM

The prospect of homegrown tubes is exciting. But judging from the article and the links within, looks like we’ll be waiting for quite some time before the first ones become available.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
The prospect of homegrown tubes is exciting. But judging from the article and the links within, looks like we’ll be waiting for quite some time before the first ones become available.
Also, based on the price of their 300B, I don't expect the other tubes they build to be the low-price leaders.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars