The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Default How do I run 2 guitars together

Hope this is the right forum to post this in.
I have a show coming up where I will be using an acoustic and a resonator together. I want to run just a bit of delay on my sound on both guitars to add some thickness and depth to the tone, i was going to use my carbon copy delay pedal with the cables running like I would hook up any other guitar but instead of an amp into a DI box to the sound system. Would this be the correct way or should I use delay straight from the FX on the sound system? Also how do I hook up both acoustic and resonator so when I'm done with the acoustic I can just set it down and pick up the resonator and start playing that. I'm sure it's possible to run them both to the board with delay and the sound guy can just turn over to the resonator when its ready to be played? I'm not very tech savvy on running cables etc
Old 02-15-2022, 12:21 PM

You should look into an A/B switch like:

https://saturnworkspedals.com/product/ab-pedals/

To keep both guitars plugged in and just switch from one to another.

or if you need the option of using them both simultaneously, look for an A/B/Y switch.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:49 PM

If both guitars are active, meaning they have some sort of onboard preamp, you could even get away with just using a summing box or y-cable that would leave both guitars live the whole time. But I think an A/B switch like burkeinggraffia suggested would be the safest bet. There are a bunch of these on the market.

If you have passive pick ups you could run into impedance issues having two guitars plugged in together without a switch.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
Hope this is the right forum to post this in.
I have a show coming up where I will be using an acoustic and a resonator together. I want to run just a bit of delay on my sound on both guitars to add some thickness and depth to the tone, i was going to use my carbon copy delay pedal with the cables running like I would hook up any other guitar but instead of an amp into a DI box to the sound system. Would this be the correct way or should I use delay straight from the FX on the sound system? Also how do I hook up both acoustic and resonator so when I'm done with the acoustic I can just set it down and pick up the resonator and start playing that. I'm sure it's possible to run them both to the board with delay and the sound guy can just turn over to the resonator when its ready to be played? I'm not very tech savvy on running cables etc
Yes delay to DI sound board is the usual method.
So the only issue is that the resonator and the acoustic are likely to need/want to be at different levels and maybe different EQ settings on the house board.
So if the DI does not have 2 outputs to go into 2 different inputs on the board or you don't have a stage mixer to set the levels and EQ separately, then the sound guy may have keep adjusting when you switch.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-15-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
(editd for focus) I'm sure it's possible to run them both to the board with delay and the sound guy can just turn over to the resonator when its ready to be played? I'm not very tech savvy on running cables etc
Since you want to have both guitars running through an effects loop (carbon copy delay pedal) the sound board operator will not be able to select (at his point of operation) which guitar. He will only be taking the output from the effects loop. Choosing which guitar will have to take place upstream of the effects.

It would probably be helpful if you draw a picture of your layout. (for your benefit more than for ours)

Start with the two guitars at the top of the paper and the sound board at the bottom. Laying out where the selection between the guitars is made and the effects applied should become obvious.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:58 PM

I use a Radial A/B switch. It has a drag control which reduces the level on the channel with the hottest guitar so that levels match. The output can then be fed to the reverb unit before going on to mixer, DI or amp.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-16-2022, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
Since you want to have both guitars running through an effects loop (carbon copy delay pedal) the sound board operator will not be able to select (at his point of operation) which guitar. He will only be taking the output from the effects loop. Choosing which guitar will have to take place upstream of the effects.

It would probably be helpful if you draw a picture of your layout. (for your benefit more than for ours)

Start with the two guitars at the top of the paper and the sound board at the bottom. Laying out where the selection between the guitars is made and the effects applied should become obvious.
I agree a diagram/drawing would be useful. Because from his description to me it does not sound like he is running the CC Delay into an amp FX "loop" at all.... But is thinking going direct. Guitar/s > CC > DI > sound board ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-16-2022, 01:48 PM

A slightly different take on this:

- Single jack lead shared between instruments
- Boss tuner with mute facility
- FX chain (jack out at the end of the chain)
- A/B box taking a single jack (usually the output, now the input) and splitting it between A/B (usually inputs, now outputs)
- Jack patch leads out of A/B into a 2 channel DI box
- 2x XLR outputs to separate channels on the desk.

Both instruments get to use FX, no "on the fly" adjustment, no problem with un-muted instruments on stage.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

My pedalboard currently has two inputs, two tuners, two Morley Li'l Aligator's Volume, Radial Duplex JDI to mixer.

Get EQ, Reverb, and a bit of Chorus directly from mixer.

Just the way I do.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:50 PM

Radial PZ Pre Toneport.
2 switchable inputs with volume controls for each.
A switchable FX loop that can also be used as a boost.
Amp (1/4") and DI (XLR outputs (post and pre-EQ).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-18-2022, 02:59 AM

The Boss LS-2 should do this well - see the 2nd example application discussed in this blog post:-

DISCOVERING THE BOSS LS-2 LINE SELECTOR - https://stinkfoot.se/archives/4080

Quote:
  • Main input buffer with level matching and input selector
Basically the same as above, but this time we will also use separate cables for the different instruments. Normally, I’d advise against using multiple guitar cables, since it very quickly becomes a tangled mess. But if you have a synthesizer, theremin or some other sound source you want to be able to run through the pedalboard, or for that matter a lap or pedal steel, it is very handy. Set the LS-2 to A->Bypass mode, and use the main input for the regular guitar cable. The steel guitar/synth/theremin/whatever plugs into return A, and its signal level can then easily be matched using the level control. Using A->B->Bypass mode will allow you to use two additional sources, or you can use the extra loop to level match different guitars plugged into the main input. Tip: in that case, I’d leave loop A empty, to cycle between normal guitar -> level adjusted guitar -> synth/theremin/steel guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification