The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Guidance needed

I am not a musician and don’t know music theory. I just learn fingerstyle arrangements of the internet. I play at home, alone, hours a day for personal enjoyment. I can’t envision ever performing out.

Is there any reason to go beyond just learning songs? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 12-11-2019, 09:45 AM

No - That is the Zen of guitar playing.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:02 AM

Agree with endpin I mean, what else does one do with a guitar other than play songs???

I've been playing for 50+ years, so if I'm missing something, I'd love to know what it is.

only advice I can give is keep challenging yourself by taking on more advanced pieces. as for performing, never say never...
Old 12-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Well, first of all, if you make music you're a musician.

It's really a matter of where do you see yourself in the future...

Would you like to eventually be able to arrange songs for fingerstyle yourself? Or are you content to play other people's arrangements?

That's what it really all comes down to. Personally, I find leaning more about the instrument to be a heck of a lot of fun. Others might not. There's room for both of us in the musical world.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
I am not a musician and don’t know music theory. I just learn fingerstyle arrangements of the internet. I play at home, alone, hours a day for personal enjoyment. I can’t envision ever performing out.

Thanks,

Russ
Theory is for:

1) playing with others and being able to talk to them about things using that vocabulary,
2) your own enjoyment and curiosity,
3) learning to play something which requires a certain amount of prerequisite knowledge or reading ability.

So, no. Not unless you have a specific reason. It's for YOU.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

are you asking others (strangers) to tell you what's important to you and what gives your life meaning?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Russ
I agree with Jeff, if you can play your guitar - you are a musician. don't do yourself down!

How good you are is an elephant ...sorry, irrelevant!"

If you can pick out the melodies of songs then you have some ability.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I am not a musician
Yes you are.
Quote:
I just learn fingerstyle arrangements of the internet. I play at home, alone, hours a day for personal enjoyment.
There you go.

I guess what you mean is you're not a professional musician. You're an amateur musician. You're still a musician.
In fact, if you play for hours a day, you're probably quite a good musician (if that matters). ("Amateur" comes from the word "love", it doesn't mean "not very good".)
Quote:
I can’t envision ever performing out.

Do you feel like you are? What else would you do with a musical instrument other than play music?

Maybe it's playing with others you're missing? It doesn't have to be for strangers in public, it could just be jamming with someone similar to you. It's a whole other dimension to music making.
Music is a language, a system of communication. Like all art, it's social - and music is arguably the most social of the arts, because it brings people together to have a good time.
It's fine to do it alone, for your own enjoyment. Same as talking to yourself. But it's better to have a conversation.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 PM

If you play a guitar then you're already a musician. Theory is just a systematic way to describe/understand/communicate what you or others are doing. Understanding theory is not required to play. Theory MAY help you to understand things such as why certain chords are used in a particular song, why do certain songs/chords/melodies sound the way they do (i.e., happy, sad, tense, mysterious, etc.), or what notes for a melody or harmony would sound good over certain chords. The good part is you don't have to understand it to play or even write it, but if you want a deeper understanding of why some of these things are as they are then you can dig into the theory as much or as little as you want. It certainly won't hurt your playing. How much it would help depends entirely on what you choose to do with it.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:57 PM

For me, the answer comes when I see or hear someone play something and I think "wow..."

Now I have something else that I want to go learn!
Old 12-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Hi Russ,

There are some comments in this thread that you might consider, especially near the end. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=566191

I see theory as a way of understanding what is going on when I play. I play finger-style mostly with tabs, and sometimes it feels like I'm doing a paint by number painting. But I'm also an hobbyist, and not ashamed of being "tab dependent" for the limited time I have available to play.

If you want to vary from the tab, memorize pieces more easily or bail yourself out when your memory fails then knowing some theory and understanding the fretboard is very helpful. It is indispensable if you want to arrange or improvise, unless you have a very good ear. It is also hard work, and not as much fun in the short run as playing songs. At some point you may want to dig into all of this, but I see no need to rush it until you are feeling stifled in your growth. I do it in fits and starts, and some of it sinks in. A good teacher can help. Reading the AGF can help!

Either way is good, and you can have a lot of fun without knowing much theory
Old 12-11-2019, 07:07 PM

Just remember, you asked us!

Yes, IMO you're missing a lot if:

1. You never play music with other people.
2. You never experience live performance in front of others.
3. You don't experiment with other styles a genres.
4. You impose limits on yourself without testing them.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Just remember, you asked us!

Yes, IMO you're missing a lot if:

1. You never play music with other people.
2. You never experience live performance in front of others.
3. You don't experiment with other styles a genres.
4. You impose limits on yourself without testing them.
I joined a senior citizen jam group a few weeks ago and played in front of people for the first time. I was very nervous, my fingers felt like lead, and several times while playing I forgot where I was. It was horrible but they were very nice and encouraging. They mostly play simple stuff with a pick and everyone strums along. Someone will say “this is in the key of G” and off they go.

It would be much easier to just stay at home and play on the couch but I am going to give this a try. I’m using a pick and will eventually try playing while standing up.

Playing in front of people is very, very difficult.

Russ
Old 12-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:

Thanks,

Russ
Are you happy? If so, carry on. If not, take some time and think hard about what YOU want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write