The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 10:45 PM

Default Med strings on hummingbird vintage

Recently picked up a 2017 Hummingbird Vintage - torrified top and very lightly braced. They came with 12’s and I just can’t get use to such light strings. Has anyone tried medium strings on thier Hummingbird?
Old 10-19-2019, 11:29 PM

I can't speak for Gibson but I wouldn't hesitate to put mediums on any dread with a truss rod. I would ask Martin before putting them on my D-28A but I don't feel it would bother anything there either.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 AM

Bigsby, it should be fine using mediums on that guitar. I use mediums on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo, which also has light scalloped braces. In the nine years I’ve owned the guitar, there’s never been a problem with them. Right after I put them on it took the neck awhile to get used to them, and I had to tweak the truss rod a few times, but then the guitar settled down and I’ve never had to adjust it since.

Just watch what the bridge and top do. If those react by coming up, back off the tension.

But since the J-45 is a short scale instrument, it should be okay. Just try a set of mediums and see how the guitar does.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-20-2019, 06:16 AM

I put mediums on a J-45 after asking a luthier about it (he said it can take it). The sound of the guitar changed a lot in my opinion. I do not think light gauge strings drive the top very well on a dreadnought.

jerry
Old 10-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Yes, it will be fine.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Several string manufacturers make light mediums too. Try going halfway?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Several string manufacturers make light mediums too. Try going halfway?
Good suggestion, often referred to as bluegrass gauge. I personally find the treble strings on a medium set too stiff for bending which is why I love the bluegrass gauge. If it was strumming only I would be fine with mediums. Either way, as others pointed out, the dread should handle mediums no problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion