The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Bought An Eastman AR805

Well...after 2 years of waffling on an archtop purchase, I pulled the trigger on a new Eastman AR805 pure acoustic (Maple/Spruce w/classic finish) from Django Books.

I spent the last few days in Bay Area shops trying to find something decent in the $500-$800 range. Uhhh...no. I was also eyeballing several Godin 5th Avenues and Gretsch New Yorkers on Reverb, but I haven't had much luck with used guitars on Reverb. In the end I decided the extra $$$ for the Eastman would be money well spent.

Michael at Django Books was very helpful, he answered the many questions I had. He certainly has a good reputation and instilled some confidence in me as a buyer in a "real" way (with info rather than pure sales pitch). I'm not a fan of buying sight unseen, but I'm confident it'll be be OK even if she's not a keeper.

Anyway...we'll see what the guitar has to say when she's in my hands. Hoping for the best.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 03-19-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Michael Horowitz is great. I went to his place in Seattle to test out several guitars before choosing my Altamira several years ago. He is highly regarded in the gypsy-jazz community as a player, teacher and scholar.

I have an Eastman MDC805 mandocello that I converted to guitar a couple years ago. I really like the sound with Martin retro monel 013's.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 PM

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing a photo and hearing more about your guitar, once it arrives.

On a side note, I purchased an Eastman AR603CE-15 from Django Books. Was very happy with their service and especially pleased that the guitar was as described.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Eastman makes very high quality instruments, I think you'll be pleased.

If you were mainly a flattop guy before, you might find the "stringy," X braced modern voice of the Eastman very pleasing compared to a parallel braced vintage-voiced instrument, which can come across as a bit "in your face" to some folks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Eastman makes very high quality instruments, I think you'll be pleased.

If you were mainly a flattop guy before, you might find the "stringy," X braced modern voice of the Eastman very pleasing compared to a parallel braced vintage-voiced instrument, which can come across as a bit "in your face" to some folks.

You hit the nail on the head here...I am a flattop guy. There was a vintage Gibson archie available locally at a very reasonable price...loved the feel, but not the voice. I like an archtop with a warmer, fuller voice rather than pure midrange "poke", if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing a photo and hearing more about your guitar, once it arrives.

Will post.

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 03-19-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Hi Oddmanout, I think that you have bought wisely

You might be interested in my comparison of my three archtops - a '60s Harmony Monterey, a '34 Gibson, and my 2007 Eastman AR805.

The archtop came to me last summer and it has a beautiful, rewarding tone.

The Eastman comes in at 9.40ish.

Here is my first one - also an AR805, but the "e" model - which wasn't really my style.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 PM

Actually...I did watch both of these videos when I was seeking info on Eastman archies. Thanks for making them available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Oddmanout, I think that you have bought wisely

You might be interested in my comparison of my three archtops - a '60s Harmony Monterey, a '34 Gibson, and my 2007 Eastman AR805.

The archtop came to me last summer and it has a beautiful, rewarding tone.

The Eastman comes in at 9.40ish.

Here is my first one - also an AR805, but the "e" model - which wasn't really my style.

You're longing to be
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops