The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM

Default New Blue Yeti USB Mic- First review

Just got a new Blue Yeti USB mic. Gotta say so far I'm really digging this thing. I had no issues setting it up in Audacity, and the sound quality on acoustic instruments in pretty darn good for a USB mic. It has 4 recording modes, a headphone out with volume control, and a mute button.

When I get a decent mix together I'll follow up this post with a link to a sound sample.

Thanks.

Paid $94.04 new.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM

I have one as well and to be candid I'm having some issues with the mic. To begin with, the different capsule patterns don't seem to be very different from one another. So the Cardioid seems very similar to the Omni, which isn't right. Also, there is a lot of self-noise that then increases when one begins to play, sort of pulses in and out like a compresser. That is odd. Maybe you'll have better luck figuring out how to set this up. I bought this for work purposes (to record meetings and lectures, but have also tried it with solo guitar recording).

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
I have one as well and to be candid I'm having some issues with the mic. To begin with, the different capsule patterns don't seem to be very different from one another. So the Cardioid seems very similar to the Omni, which isn't right. Also, there is a lot of self-noise that then increases when one begins to play, sort of pulses in and out like a compresser. That is odd. Maybe you'll have better luck figuring out how to set this up. I bought this for work purposes (to record meetings and lectures, but have also tried it with solo guitar recording).
Strange. Mine is very quiet and I've had no issues at all. I'll get a sound test up here in a few days.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM

There may be something goofy with mine. I swear that there is no difference in the polar patterns, and that pumping sound doesn't seem right either.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
There may be something goofy with mine. I swear that there is no difference in the polar patterns, and that pumping sound doesn't seem right either.
Seems so. There is a noticable difference in the polar patterns on mine, and no odd pumping sound. Is yours the Yeti or Yeti Pro? I know some people have had driver related issues with the Yeti pro.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM

More insight. In order to make to most of this USB mic the desktop stand must be removed and the mic needs to be placed on a mic stand. Fortunately the bottom is threaded for such applications. In stereo mode, roughly 3-4 inches from the 12th fret I found the sweet spot for acoustic guitar. My next step is getting a sample for you guys to hear. I had forgotten about a stand I had tucked away in the garage, so it was a nice treat going out there and finding one. Now I can finally get down to some real recording. Too bad I'm stuck using headphones for mixing and editing for now.

Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD