The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2022, 10:18 AM

Default Grace Felix 2 anyone?

I'm considering one for acoustic guitar and also electric upright bass. Not at the same time, but I'd like it to be great for both.
The only way I can hear it is to buy it so I'm wondering if the sonics justify the price? My reference would be the DTAR Solstice and Equinox that I used to use.

With the DTAR gear I found the built quality to be only ok, the form factor not at all to my liking, but the sonics to be good.

Anyone with experience with both able to comment on how the sound quality compares?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-10-2022, 12:24 PM

In my opinion the Grace Felix 2 is worth the price. Yes, it's a lot of money, but it is money well spent. Superior to any stage preamp available and to any I owned over the past thirty years. I owned many, among them the Pendulum SPS-1 (sonical on par with the Felix), DTAR Solstice, Raven Labs ... Only other preamp you may want consider is the SunnAudio MS-2.

It's packed with features no other pre has and you can tailor it to your needs using the internal jumpers and external buttons and knobs. Switchable impedance input settings, sweepable high pass filter, full parametric mid EQ, boost, mute, incredible versatile output settings ... and I'm still only listing features the Solstice will not offer.
Did I mention the studio grade mic pre on channel 1 ?
The Solstice is a fine preamp blender, but I did not like the form factor beside some other features missing.
I use the Felix on guitar, mandolin, banjo, bouzouki, Weissenborn, baritone guitar, dobro ... sometimes acoustic upright bass. Pickups are passive soundboard transducers, active under saddle transducers, passive magnetic pickups, external small condenser microphone, internal lavalier type mics. This box does it all and better than any other preamp. Built like a tank. It's simply the "no compromise" - solution I dreamt of for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 02-10-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
In my opinion the Grace Felix 2 is worth the price. Yes, it's a lot of money, but it is money well spent. Superior to any stage preamp available and to any I owned over the past thirty years. I owned many, among them the Pendulum SPS-1 (sonical on par with the Felix), DTAR Solstice, Raven Labs ... Only other preamp you may want consider is the SunnAudio MS-2.

It's packed with features no other pre has and you can tailor it to your needs using the internal jumpers and external buttons and knobs. Switchable impedance input settings, sweepable high pass filter, full parametric mid EQ, boost, mute, incredible versatile output settings ... and I'm still only listing features the Solstice will not offer.
Did I mention the studio grade mic pre on channel 1 ?
The Solstice is a fine preamp blender, but I did not like the form factor beside some other features missing.
I use the Felix on guitar, mandolin, banjo, bouzouki, Weissenborn, baritone guitar, dobro ... sometimes acoustic upright bass. Pickups are passive soundboard transducers, active under saddle transducers, passive magnetic pickups, external small condenser microphone, internal lavalier type mics. This box does it all and better than any other preamp. Built like a tank. It's simply the "no compromise" - solution I dreamt of for a long time.
Thank you for this very helpful reply. You really got my attention when you compare the Grace sonically to the Pendulum. I really appreciate Pendulum gear, but I dont want the form factor.
I'm thinking if it's on that level it will satisfy me fine.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-11-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I love my Grace FELiX 2 for its versatility and quiet operation. My wish would be when Grace brings out a FELiX 3 that they enable a user, via a simple switch, to engage both the Channel 1 and Channel 2 parametric sections in one channel if desired. This would give the FELiX even more tonal control over an instrument.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-12-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:55 AM

I owned the solstice for about
6 mnths..it was ok..just ok..
Ive had a felix1 since it came out.
Love this pre..its pretty bulletproof
And i never got the impression that the solstice would hold up long with road use.
If i blew up my felix one id get a 2.
But i have a feeling it will outlive me.
There is a tremendous amount of options
With the felix and a bit of a learning
curve. Lots of push buttons that can accidently be pushed while handling. Causing you to wonder why your not getting any sound
Out of it...lol..eventually you learn about all that. Its a great pre..best ive owned and
Smaller than the sp1..
Old 02-13-2022, 04:30 PM

I have the Felix 1 ... definitely worth the high cost ... superb build, sound and functionality. I had Headway's before, and still use for backup ... but the Felix is brilliant for mandolin and mandolas, tenor and 5-string banjo, fiddle and acoustic guitars. Great piece of kit.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:36 PM

I have one and love it... been a great preamp. my only pickyness... I wish I could use a HPF and a notch at the same time. It would be cool to also have dual mid adjustment for each high/low mid range.

Other then that it's great.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:49 PM

I have a Felix 2 and I couldn't ask for more. Best purchase I've ever made! Use it for dual source blending and as a microphone preamp for recordings in studio. Stellar!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 02-15-2022, 09:33 PM

Grace Felix is a great product. I have an old one. But I wonder is it worth to sell the old one and buy the new version?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 02-17-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Grace Felix is a great product. I have an old one. But I wonder is it worth to sell the old one and buy the new version?
If your felix is working well you have to ask yourself if the f2 has the features you need to make it worth the exchange..
Old 02-17-2022, 12:31 PM

I had the older version and decided to go for the Felix 2 just for one reason: With the internal jumpers you can set the boost to channel 2 only, which is what I really appreciate. Boosting for leads without boosting the internal mic on channel 1 or external mic on a boom stand makes life a few dbs easier (more headroom before feedback).
A few years ago we had a thread about features the next version of the Felix (then 1) should have, and I opted exactly for that feature. When Felix 2 came out, I pulled the trigger.
Personally I can see no other reason for selling the Felix 1 and go for Felix 2.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 02-22-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I had the older version and decided to go for the Felix 2 just for one reason: With the internal jumpers you can set the boost to channel 2 only, which is what I really appreciate. Boosting for leads without boosting the internal mic on channel 1 or external mic on a boom stand makes life a few dbs easier (more headroom before feedback).
A few years ago we had a thread about features the next version of the Felix (then 1) should have, and I opted exactly for that feature. When Felix 2 came out, I pulled the trigger.
Personally I can see no other reason for selling the Felix 1 and go for Felix 2.
Yea this is a great upgrade.. i actually tried the felix 1 as a vocal mic pre and eq and ch two for
my guitar..it worked great until i hit the boost switch for a guitar solo.. and i knew better..lol.
But the mic squeeled..
So having it dedicated to one ch only makes the felix a small mini mixing board for a solo performer..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification