The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2022, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Electro voice Evolve 30M/50M Settings

I know there are several related posts, but I thought it might be helpful to have a thread specific to settings. I have a new 50M, and as I get closer to my first gig (an important one) with it, I’m starting to second guess my settings. It seems that I tweak things to my liking, and then the next time (in the same room) start tweaking again, making it hard to trust my aging ears. Plus this is the first column array system I’ve had, so it’s very different from the old speakers on sticks/mixer that I’m used to. My setup is pretty simple—just a dynamic mic (EV or Sennheiser) in channel one, and my Cole Clark with built in preamp in channel two.
I’m taking the easy way out (haha) and using the Vocal Mic preset, and Acoustic Guitar preset respectively. Settings on the channels are close to flat, with maybe some mids and bass backed off a little. On the master I have the subwoofer dialed back to between -2 and -4. I also have the mids backed off a little. I’m using the effects very sparingly, perhaps just slight delay or reverb.

I’d be curious to know what settings others with more experience are using, and if I’m on the right track. FWIW, I’m not interested in adding extra pedals/gear at this time.
Thanks a million!
Old 02-11-2022, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Settings on the channels are close to flat, with maybe some mids and bass backed off a little. On the master I have the subwoofer dialed back to between -2 and -4. I also have the mids backed off a little. I’m using the effects very sparingly, perhaps just slight delay or reverb.
I've not used the excellent Evolve sticks, but your settings are very much like my own, the first time I rolled out my comparable Bose L1 M2 for a Farmer's Market gig last summer. I got complimented on the sound by a local bass player/vocalist I know. Folks go for different sounds but guitar-wise, I want string definition but not harsh, and some weight to the mid and especially bottom end but not muddy. Just right lol.

The only thing I'd add since this is your first trip with a stick, believe what people say about not needing as much stage volume to reach as much of the crowd as you're used to. Having someone you trust in the audience to gauge that is helpful. But you'll get a feel for it regardless.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I know there are several related posts, but I thought it might be helpful to have a thread specific to settings. I have a new 50M, and as I get closer to my first gig (an important one) with it, I’m starting to second guess my settings. It seems that I tweak things to my liking, and then the next time (in the same room) start tweaking again, making it hard to trust my aging ears. Plus this is the first column array system I’ve had, so it’s very different from the old speakers on sticks/mixer that I’m used to. My setup is pretty simple—just a dynamic mic (EV or Sennheiser) in channel one, and my Cole Clark with built in preamp in channel two.
I’m taking the easy way out (haha) and using the Vocal Mic preset, and Acoustic Guitar preset respectively. Settings on the channels are close to flat, with maybe some mids and bass backed off a little. On the master I have the subwoofer dialed back to between -2 and -4. I also have the mids backed off a little. I’m using the effects very sparingly, perhaps just slight delay or reverb.

I’d be curious to know what settings others with more experience are using, and if I’m on the right track. FWIW, I’m not interested in adding extra pedals/gear at this time.
Thanks a million!
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. (For others, I started one today and didn't realize this one was already recently started.) As far as editing settings, I did similar to you last night and set the guitar and vox levels, set presets for acoustic guitar and vocal mic, adjusted 3 band eq slightly, added a touch of compression and a touch of room reverb, and then enabled graphic eq and adjusted a bit. I thought it was a great sound considering it only took me a few minutes. I stored that setting as "First Try" so i can easily recall it. I do plan to try some other stuff out, but at least if i start going too deep down the rabbit hole I can just recall it back to where I knew it sounded good.

I think the compression and the reverbs/fx are OK, but not quite as good as my TCHPA pedal. With that being said, I would definitely be confident gigging with the 50m as is and without using my TCHPA (TC Helicon Play Acoustic) pedal.

Tonight I plan to start fresh setting it up to use along with the TCHPA and storing that as a 2nd recall. I'm anxious to hear how they sound together. With my traditional point source system, I would sometimes not use the TCHPA if I was in a room that was kind of bouncy (lots of brick, etc) and wanted to go light on the fx/processing. It was easier to just use the fx that are on my external mixer than go into the menus of the TCHPA to adjust.

Anyone using more than one phone/tablet with their evolves? For example: can i use my iphone, and then later if i decide to can i switch and use my ipad with it? or do you have to unpair and repair each phone/tablet?

Also, somewhat related question. Anyone have suggestions of a boost/eq/adjustable gain switching pedal? I have two guitars that I sometimes use live (Gibson Songwriter Deluxe with LR Baggs Anthem SL and a Martin DC1E with the factory Fishman pickup). The Gibson has a pretty low output, while the Martin is coming out pretty hot. I can and have ran these into two separate channels to adjust gain individually, but would love to minimize the number of cables i have lying around. I'm interested in some time of footswitch that allows me to remedy this. Basically one input for guitar and one output to Radial JDI or TCHPA that allows me to switch gain settings (adjustable gain preferable) depending which guitar I am using. I'm guessing a boost pedal, or eq pedal with boost would work, but it would definitely need to have adjustable gain knob on it. Any recommendations?
Old 02-17-2022, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

^^
Good stuff! I’m not sure about pairing two devices at once, but that’s easy to try.
I think I’m preferring the “Flat” preset with my guitar now over the “Acoustic Guitar” preset, but my Cole Clark has a lot going on with the built in electronics. I also tried the “Flat” and 80hz and 120hz presets for the vocal mic, but think I prefer the “Vocal Mic” preset best for that. But then it’s splitting hairs, as there is a lot of adjustment within the mixer—I do find the app intuitive.
BTW, if you haven’t discovered it yet, if you use the app to dial in you’re settings, you can then store it on the unit. Later you can recall a stored setting on the unit, and the app will revert to that setting when paired. I’m string to see if there’s a way to store multiple settings on the app, but I don’t think so.
So..after my upcoming gig, if I find the settings I like after tweaking, I believe I have to store it on the unit itself vs on the app.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Couple of new discoveries—it doesn’t appear that you can link more than one device to the app simultaneously. But, the app can run in the background on a device if you for example you want to use OnSong or similar. I also found that running the speaker preset on “Music” vs “Live” seems to take a little of the “punch” out, and smooths the sound a bit (with all other settings the same), which might be handy in some situations.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. (For others, I started one today and didn't realize this one was already recently started.) As far as editing settings, I did similar to you last night and set the guitar and vox levels, set presets for acoustic guitar and vocal mic, adjusted 3 band eq slightly, added a touch of compression and a touch of room reverb, and then enabled graphic eq and adjusted a bit. I thought it was a great sound considering it only took me a few minutes. I stored that setting as "First Try" so i can easily recall it. I do plan to try some other stuff out, but at least if i start going too deep down the rabbit hole I can just recall it back to where I knew it sounded good.

I think the compression and the reverbs/fx are OK, but not quite as good as my TCHPA pedal. With that being said, I would definitely be confident gigging with the 50m as is and without using my TCHPA (TC Helicon Play Acoustic) pedal.

Tonight I plan to start fresh setting it up to use along with the TCHPA and storing that as a 2nd recall. I'm anxious to hear how they sound together. With my traditional point source system, I would sometimes not use the TCHPA if I was in a room that was kind of bouncy (lots of brick, etc) and wanted to go light on the fx/processing. It was easier to just use the fx that are on my external mixer than go into the menus of the TCHPA to adjust.

Anyone using more than one phone/tablet with their evolves? For example: can i use my iphone, and then later if i decide to can i switch and use my ipad with it? or do you have to unpair and repair each phone/tablet?

Also, somewhat related question. Anyone have suggestions of a boost/eq/adjustable gain switching pedal? I have two guitars that I sometimes use live (Gibson Songwriter Deluxe with LR Baggs Anthem SL and a Martin DC1E with the factory Fishman pickup). The Gibson has a pretty low output, while the Martin is coming out pretty hot. I can and have ran these into two separate channels to adjust gain individually, but would love to minimize the number of cables i have lying around. I'm interested in some time of footswitch that allows me to remedy this. Basically one input for guitar and one output to Radial JDI or TCHPA that allows me to switch gain settings (adjustable gain preferable) depending which guitar I am using. I'm guessing a boost pedal, or eq pedal with boost would work, but it would definitely need to have adjustable gain knob on it. Any recommendations?
Interested in learning more about your experiences with your equipment as I’m in the process of obtaining a Ev 50m and use a TCPA with a Gibson Hummingbird LR Baggs. I’ve always found the TCPA to sound quite bright with my current PA set up and recently Roll purchased a Maui LD 28G2 but sent this back due to the limitations with the mixer. What are the fx like on the 50m and how loud does it go before it begins to feedback. Much appreciated man.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification