The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Default @ Joseph

Joseph, thanks for your input.
I bought the MXL mic for personal use at a radio station. My BR-8 is an "older" one that uses zip disks, obviously it's digital. It has 1/4 inputs for mic's and guitars and RCA "line in" inputs. I have a mic cable that goes from "3 pin" to 1/4" and the mic doesn't work straight into the BR-8 that way (no phantom power). I realized I needed phantom power, so I ran to GC and bought that mixer so I could use the mic. Sounds like my whole setup is off kilter : /
Perhaps there's a better mic I could be using straight into the BR-8 . . . The only other mic I have is a Shure SM57 and I know that's not the answer. I am more than willing to buy the right mic that would skip the mixer/aggravation and give me that deep rich "stand out" presence.

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
I'll try again at levels well under what I have been doing and see how that goes, and see if it "jumps out" enough during the final mix.
Thanks again, Steve H
It would seem that tracking levels and playback volume should be simple, but there are a few reasons why they are not.

First, changes in volume translate through our hearing system as changes in tone, presence, weight, dynamics, intensity, etc. etc. So listening to the same track at different levels gives different impressions.

Second, our reference tracks are almost certainly commercially mastered, which today means they've been heavily post-processed to raise the average output level. Squashed, in other words. Even non-squashed stuff will have a significant bump beyond normal tracking level.

So when listening to a reference track, we need to turn our material up or the reference down so they're playing at the same level. Missing this issue can lead to a lot of headaches. One important idea to get from this - if you want to hear a track louder, turn up the playback volume rather than trying to capture a hotter track.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticlofts View Post
I found this good little website on home studio building.. lots of good information and tips ..

http://www.basic-home-recording-studio.com/
Thanks also from me - great tips for a beginner! Ed.

2016 Maton 808C 70th Anniversary Edition (Australian Blackwood and Sitka Spruce)

1969 Maton FG100 (Mahogany & Sitka Spruce)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticlofts View Post
Hey guys i need a little advice here. Basically all i'm looking to do is record some acoustic stuff to my laptop and then add some lead or whatever on top. I'm guessing I need an interface between the guitar and the laptop and what software would you recommend i use to edit it? I'm not looking for anything of professional quality per se, but something that just does the job. Thanks.

I have a zoom H4N. I'm just a home hacker. This little machine is awesome. More than youll need. The onboard mics are pretty impressive for the price. plus its comes bundled with software
good luckd

Last edited by flier; 01-30-2013 at 09:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD