The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Default More dBs Please!

Hello!

I just got a new audio interface (N.I. Komplete Audio 6) and I have a few questions. I am running my acoustic guitar (with an active pickup system) through the unit and into Logic 9. With the input gain on the interface set all the way up, the input signal is still pretty quiet. The pickup system in my guitar requires no external preamp to get sufficient volume through any other setup, why do I need to turn the gain so far up on the interface just to hear myself?

I guess while I'm here I might as well ask something else that has been on my mind. In Logic, how does one de-select a setting in the library? I was trying out the different guitar settings and now I don't know how do de-select them and get back to the clean, direct input sound. I'm stuck either selecting a different setting, or using the one I'm currently on. Hmm.

Thanks!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Last edited by wood nacho; 01-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
...Also, when using the headphone out on the interface I hear very quiet clicks/pops every 3-10 seconds. This happens no matter what buffer settings I use. When I monitor myself through the output on my Macbook, I hear no clicks or pops and it sounds great. Any ideas?
Hi Curtis...

Troubleshooting cap on...
  • Which guitar and active pickup system are you using?
  • TRS or mono 1/4'' going into the unit?
  • Have you tried a different guitar cable to the unit?
  • Different USB cable?
  • Have you tried reversing the line/instrument button in conjunction with the Input gain on the unit?
  • Have you tried recording with a mic using an XLR cable to see if that provides more volume?

My experience has been that interfaces usually provide oodles of signal to the recording software (that is a modern technical term).

I'm also guessing there are not clicks or pops showing up on your recordings…is that so? Just in the phones from the unit…

[EDIT]Have you checked Native Instrument's site for device updaters for Mac (or Windows) which may address these issues?[EDIT]

Please keep us posted...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-21-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added a note
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Curtis...

Troubleshooting cap on...
  • Which guitar and active pickup system are you using?
  • TRS or mono 1/4'' going into the unit?
  • Have you tried a different guitar cable to the unit?
  • Different USB cable?
  • Have you tried reversing the line/instrument button in conjunction with the Input gain on the unit?
  • Have you tried recording with a mic using an XLR cable to see if that provides more volume?

My experience has been that interfaces usually provide oodles of signal to the recording software (that is a modern technical term).

I'm also guessing there are not clicks or pops showing up on your recordings…is that so? Just in the phones from the unit…

[EDIT]Have you checked Native Instrument's site for device updaters for Mac (or Windows) which may address these issues?[EDIT]

Please keep us posted...

Hey Larry, I just tried downloading the latest drivers for the interface and the clicks and pops have disappeared! Thanks!

The update has also helped out with my volume troubles, I'm getting much more signal now, especially after fiddling with the gain insert in Logic.
I'm using a Magmic soundhole pickup and I'm still finding myself turning up the gain to 9-10 without signal distortion, I guess that's normal? Maybe the battery is going dead. Anyways, it's plenty loud through the headphone output on the interface now, so its all good.

Thanks Larry.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Last edited by wood nacho; 01-21-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I was trying out the different guitar settings and now I don't know how do de-select them and get back to the clean, direct input sound. I'm stuck either selecting a different setting, or using the one I'm currently on. Hmm.

Go to the individual effects that were inserted into the signal chain. (On the Logic Mixer in the individual tracks) click and hold on each effect and select "no effect" or "no insert". I'm not in front of Logic so I'm not sure of the exact phrasing but it will give you the opportunity to remove that plug-in from your signal chain at that point.

Quote:
I'm getting much more signal now, especially after fiddling with the gain insert in Logic
Yea that's not good. You should NEVER have to use a software plug-in to get input levels correct. That's not at all the intent of that plug-in and in this situation amounts to a band-aid solution. You should have more than ample gain provided by the analog component of the N.I. interface and that's definitely where you should look for it. Something is not correct here.

Obviously check your batteries first but in looking at the N.I. website this unit appears to provide for virtually any kinda input chores and certainly covers the kind of output levels the mag-mic supplies. There's absolutely never a need for software gain plug-ins to rectify weak input signals. You'd certainly be better off in the long run finding the root of the problem rather than fixing it afterwards with a plug-in

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD