The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2018, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

The Exeter, NH farmer’s market is packed every Thursday. The Durham one also has a good following on Mondays. You’d be surprised at how many people are out during the day.

We haven’t gotten paid by any of these markets but you can do a lot of networking at these events, especially if you are self-employed. So, payment comes is a variety of forms at these things.

As for the level of expertise, it’s a learning experience. I’ve heard some great music and some so-so stuff. Everyone is at a different point with their music. Hopefully someone will pull the young man in the OP’s first post aside and give him some guidance.

Last edited by Maryc-k; 07-22-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:11 AM

Default Everyone gets a trophy

I would bet the young man in the first post is a product of the "everyone gets a trophy" mind set.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I think it's more likely someone asked him to fill in (lots of farmers markets are short of performers in this area) and he used what equipment he had or could scrounge up. Not everyone is willing to play for no or little pay.

I give him a lot of credit just getting out there in front of people and even noodling. It's not as easy as it looks, and it could be he was just having some stage fright. Some folks just need a bit more encouragement.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Farmer's Market player - YIKES!

They may have asked him to play, then at the last minute told him not to play any copywrited material. That would explain the noodling! Lol!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Ah yes there are always those that would like you to play for the exposure.
I read somewhere where you can ask the business owner to cater your private party.
They can bring their food and a keg of beer.You can’t pay them but just think of the exposure....ha
That actually works very well - you just have to be careful about how you do it.. You don't treat low paying (or free) stuff as a regular gig - you treat it as a sales marketing tool... Sell your business for others....

You just have to think about it correctly... EVERY gig is a PAID gig.... There is no such thing as "Free".... Either they pay or YOU pay - but it's not free.... And if they pay - you represent them in an effort to further their intereste.... If you pay - you represent you and you work to further your interests....

As such - answer is that you ALWAYS bring your A game - no matter what... Because you just never know what will come out of it.... And since YOU are paying to be out there - make it worth what YOU paid!!!

For example - a couple who goes to church with us owns a cake/cookies bakery. They started bringing unsold left overs to church..... But they were dumping the stale stuff or the horrible combinations that wouldn't sell at the store (spinach cup cakes with salty frosting? Disgusting....)... And then trying to use that as a write off on their business.... Well guess what.... ABSOLUTELY NOBODY in the whole church will use them for any cakes or catering because 100.00% of everything we have tasted from them is either stale or disgusting.. Literally - worst idea ever!!!!!

And so if you do decide to do this...
Think seriously about the clientele....
Think seriously about the sort of folks who are there - what sort of music do they like (probably 70's rock or country).
Make sure you have plenty of sales and marketing stuff with you - cards and flyers... And talk yourself up....

Last edited by Truckjohn; 07-22-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Interestingly, I know a guy who played the same Farmers Market (as my original post) 2 Saturdays ago, and I know he won't work for less than $100.

Not sure how FMs get past the PRO (BMI/ASCAP) issues, maybe they haven't been on the lawyers hit lists (yet).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-31-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
...Not sure how FMs get past the PRO (BMI/ASCAP) issues, maybe they haven't been on the lawyers hit lists (yet).
As I said earlier, in an attempt to dodge ASCAP/BMI/SESAC they have started requiring all acts to sign that all songs they perform are their original work or public domain. I've seen this attempted a few times before, never successfully. The PRO's just keep after them, threatening legal action if the venue can't prove that no one has ever performed a song from their catalog.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
As I said earlier, in an attempt to dodge ASCAP/BMI/SESAC they have started requiring all acts to sign that all songs they perform are their original work or public domain. I've seen this attempted a few times before, never successfully. The PRO's just keep after them, threatening legal action if the venue can't prove that no one has ever performed a song from their catalog.
Haven't seen that requirement (originals/public domain only) at any of the FMs around here - and I hear pretty much nothing but covers at them.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
That actually works very well - you just have to be careful about how you do it.. You don't treat low paying (or free) stuff as a regular gig - you treat it as a sales marketing tool... Sell your business for others....

You just have to think about it correctly... EVERY gig is a PAID gig.... There is no such thing as "Free".... Either they pay or YOU pay - but it's not free.... And if they pay - you represent them in an effort to further their intereste.... If you pay - you represent you and you work to further your interests....

As such - answer is that you ALWAYS bring your A game - no matter what... Because you just never know what will come out of it.... And since YOU are paying to be out there - make it worth what YOU paid!!!

For example - a couple who goes to church with us owns a cake/cookies bakery. They started bringing unsold left overs to church..... But they were dumping the stale stuff or the horrible combinations that wouldn't sell at the store (spinach cup cakes with salty frosting? Disgusting....)... And then trying to use that as a write off on their business.... Well guess what.... ABSOLUTELY NOBODY in the whole church will use them for any cakes or catering because 100.00% of everything we have tasted from them is either stale or disgusting.. Literally - worst idea ever!!!!!

And so if you do decide to do this...
Think seriously about the clientele....
Think seriously about the sort of folks who are there - what sort of music do they like (probably 70's rock or country).
Make sure you have plenty of sales and marketing stuff with you - cards and flyers... And talk yourself up....
Best answer yet. Exactly.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 AM

Davis Webb wrote:
Quote:
And the best rendition of new country they will find anywhere.
I’m curious; what songs/artists do you cover? I was into country in the late 80s-early 90s, but I have a hard time listening to country radio for very long these days. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:06 PM

I looked into the local farmer's market music program and they pay you $30 in farmers' market merch, and provide what I believe to be a decent PA, for their 90-minute slots. The tip jar is of course welcome too. The $30 never expires, but it's only good for FM merch. They were kind enough to offer me any of their remaining open slots, and I'd be fine with doing it once, I suppose, but I know I have other things to do on a Saturday that I and my wife would rather not have this override... Maybe next year...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-01-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I looked into the local farmer's market music program and they pay you $30 in farmers' market merch, and provide what I believe to be a decent PA, for their 90-minute slots. The tip jar is of course welcome too. The $30 never expires, but it's only good for FM merch. They were kind enough to offer me any of their remaining open slots, and I'd be fine with doing it once, I suppose, but I know I have other things to do on a Saturday that I and my wife would rather not have this override... Maybe next year...
Really??? Musicians in your area are willing to play for "table scraps". No wonder there are very few paying gigs.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

Old 08-02-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Since they provide the PA - assume with a mic, too (plug in and play), $50 CASH should be the minimum pay but if people will take $30 of vegetables instead, then they will never pay more. My wife and I have never spent that much at a FM before - would have to by some of the outrageous-priced frozen meat to get close, or the 'crafts'/jewelry we have no interest in.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Back a few years ago when I was in a trio we were playing a outdoor gig. After it was over and we were packing up a person came up to me and asked if we would play their outdoor gig. I said sure but then she said they had no budget for music.

I got a little testy, looked her straight in the eye and said, You are offering no money that means you think we have no value, if we have no value then why are you asking us to play. She said Oh and turned and walked away.

The following year I got a call from the same lady about the same annual gig. We took it and played for our full asking price.

I guess she found out you get what you pay for.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:48 AM

My wife and I have played a few times at a fairly large FM in our area - never again.

Pay is $25. Tips are next to nothing. Once, they told us we would be playing inside in a quiet area and needed no amplification. When we got there, they put us in a circle with 5-6 food trucks with loud generators in 90+ degree heat. We couldn't be heard and it was miserable.

I told my wife that we are as much to blame as they were. If we place such a low value on what we do, people will treat you accordingly.

If you look like a doormat be prepared for people to wipe their feet on you.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification