The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-09-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Fishman loudbox performer 180w

Anyone using this for gigging? I'd like a high quality acoustic amp that I can plug a mic into.

Thoughts?

I'd be plugging into it my various Collings acoustics with the lrbaggs anthem installed.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:38 AM

Have it and love it. I also have an AER 60/3 which is incredible for acoustic and vocals. I can tell you that the LB Performer at 2/3 the price and ostensibly three times the wattage, is really an excellent choice. I use my LB Performer in a lot of duo settings where I need a little more bottom end. The Loudbox series are excellent choices.
davidc
Old 01-10-2016, 11:29 AM

I've had one a couple years now. I love the tones and power this unit has.

It's more than I need, but it's better to have more and not need it, than not enough.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Been giggin' with 'em as well close to 200 shows a year...love 'em.
I sometimes use two Performers in tandem for bigger stages, one for smaller. I also have the Artist for even smaller café style, as well as a Mini for rehearsal, pickup testing, and recording. (also works great as monitor or for a very intimate venue).

Rugged build with the exception of thin tolex cover. I have Tuki Custom covers for mine since I play outside a lot. Great customer service from Frank at Fishman...blew out a woofer at a bigger show; he had me a replacement at n/c within 3 days, I installed it myself & back on same stage the following weekend!

I plug straight in, with either an M80 on my Goodall & D18 or the CT4BII on my Takamine. 30lbs, great layout on panel, I use ch1 for vox #2 for gtr & aux for MP3 that plays while I'm on break...sounds great imo!

There some good choices out there & the Loudbox are among the better ones imho...best wishes in your search!

Old 01-10-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I've had one a couple years now. I love the tones and power this unit has.

It's more than I need, but it's better to have more and not need it, than not enough.
Thanks everyone!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Yes! I gig with the Fishman Loudbox Performer ALL the time! Incredibly versatile and has more volume and headroom than I need for most of my shows. If I need more coverage, I use the Post EQ DI Mix output to drive a powered QSC K10. But that is not usually needed. Just nice to have sound on both sides of me.

Here is a photo of my set up.

and a live sound clip/dark video of the Fishman LB Performer *Solo.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

and a live sound clip/dark video of the Fishman LB Performer
Very cool performance!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Here is a quick little demo I made at home today. I was testing out my new Collings OM1A that just has a Baggs Anthem installed.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Here is a photo of my set up.

Nice set up.

Now for an off topic question...apologies in advance - where are you playing there? I know I've been there, but can't place it. Ventana Canyon area? And do you do your own booking or have management? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandA View Post
Nice set up.

Now for an off topic question...apologies in advance - where are you playing there? I know I've been there, but can't place it. Ventana Canyon area? And do you do your own booking or have management? Thanks.
That was in the Core restaurant at Ritz Carlton-Dove Mountain. I do both my own booking and also work for an agent who manages most of the live music for the local Ritz Carlton.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-17-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That was in the Core restaurant at Ritz Carlton-Dove Mountain. I do both my own booking and also work for an agent who manages most of the live music for the local Ritz Carlton.
Thanks, Gary. Nice venue.

I've seen your posts on TGP. Very helpful when I got my Swart AST.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:05 PM

I just picked up an original (pre-Fender) SWR California Blonde, for about half of what a new Loudbox Performer cost after tax. I've owned a Loudbox Performer, Loudbox Artist, and a Marshall ASD50 and of all three, and all three ended up getting returned. The Marshall sounded the most 'natural' out of the three, and I've always felt like the Fishman amps always color the sound in a very artificial, processed way that I didn't like. I also tried some Roland amps, but not very inspiring either, and I didn't want to spend over a grand on am amp. That's why I ended up with the SWR California Blonde. It's not as 'flexible' or loaded with effects like the Fishman's, but I'd never use that stuff anyway because they don't sound very good IMO. The California Blond is a beast, super loud, lots of low end and punch if you want it, (which was what all the previously mentioned amps lacked) and so far I'm happy with the vocals I've put through it just messing around at home. Only drawback is it's a HEAVY amp, but I guess that's the price you pay for a nice sound. I figure if it's good enough for Jackson Browne and Linsdey Buckingham, I can make it work for what I plan on using it for!

With all that I just said, I have to say that the previous poster's Collings sounds really nice through that Fishman!
Old 01-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I just picked up an original (pre-Fender) SWR California Blonde, for about half of what a new Loudbox Performer cost after tax. I've owned a Loudbox Performer, Loudbox Artist, and a Marshall ASD50 and of all three, and all three ended up getting returned. The Marshall sounded the most 'natural' out of the three, and I've always felt like the Fishman amps always color the sound in a very artificial, processed way that I didn't like. I also tried some Roland amps, but not very inspiring either, and I didn't want to spend over a grand on am amp. That's why I ended up with the SWR California Blonde. It's not as 'flexible' or loaded with effects like the Fishman's, but I'd never use that stuff anyway because they don't sound very good IMO. The California Blond is a beast, super loud, lots of low end and punch if you want it, (which was what all the previously mentioned amps lacked) and so far I'm happy with the vocals I've put through it just messing around at home. Only drawback is it's a HEAVY amp, but I guess that's the price you pay for a nice sound. I figure if it's good enough for Jackson Browne and Linsdey Buckingham, I can make it work for what I plan on using it for!

With all that I just said, I have to say that the previous poster's Collings sounds really nice through that Fishman!
Congrats! Those California Blonde's are very nice indeed. As for the Fishman Loudbox Performer sounding unnatural, I have to strongly disagree. Why? I compared by plugging in my guitar direct to an Allen & Heath Mixer with VERY high end/neutral mic Preamps, direct to a QSC K10 powered speaker. Again, very natural, clean and natural sounding. Then I compared by connecting the Fishman LB Performer preamp / DI Out to the QSC Mixer (*bypassing the Fishman Speakers and cabinet.)

The Fishman Performer Preamp section was SO VERY close to the sound of the Allen & Heath mic preamp (ZED10FX mixer) If it was a blind test, I heard 5-10% difference if that. I would not have been able to identify which was which in a blind test. Best guess.

Then I played through the Fishman Loudbox Performer alone ...and the main difference was perhaps attributed to the speaker size. But it was VERY close, very credible and not unnatural (to my ears). But ultimately, I do prefer the richer sound coming from the QSC K10. So I concluded the mic preamp section of the Fishman LB Performer is really VERY good. I attribute the main differences to speaker and cabinet. Just thought that might be a constructive point of reference.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-17-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Congrats! Those California Blonde's are very nice indeed. As for the Fishman Loudbox Performer sounding unnatural, I have to strongly disagree. Why? I compared by plugging in my guitar direct to an Allen & Heath Mixer with VERY high end/neutral mic Preamps, direct to a QSC K10 powered speaker. Again, very natural, clean and natural sounding. Then I compared by connecting the Fishman LB Performer preamp / DI Out to the QSC Mixer (*bypassing the Fishman Speakers and cabinet.)

The Fishman Performer Preamp section was SO VERY close to the sound of the Allen & Heath mic preamp (ZED10FX mixer) If it was a blind test, I heard 5-10% difference if that. I would not have been able to identify which was which in a blind test. Best guess.

Then I played through the Fishman Loudbox Performer alone ...and the main difference was perhaps attributed to the speaker size. But it was VERY close, very credible and not unnatural (to my ears). But ultimately, I do prefer the richer sound coming from the QSC K10. So I concluded the mic preamp section of the Fishman LB Performer is really VERY good. I attribute the main differences to speaker and cabinet. Just thought that might be a constructive point of reference.
Absolutely agree it's totally constructive! I mean, if everyone thought they sounded artificial like I experienced, nobody would buy them, right? And you pretty much dis-proved my own personal experience because I really like how your Taylor sounds through the Loudbox Performer, and in addition to not liking the Fishman stuff generally, I also don't like Taylors, but for whatever reason your combo sounds wonderful. Not the typical guy in a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts playing Jimmy Buffet covers, which is what I usually imagine when I think Taylor guitar through a Fishman amp!

EDIT: watched the video again, and forgot it's a Collings, not a Taylor. Maybe thats why is sounded so good!
Old 01-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Absolutely agree it's totally constructive! I mean, if everyone thought they sounded artificial like I experienced, nobody would buy them, right? And you pretty much dis-proved my own personal experience because I really like how your Taylor sounds through the Loudbox Performer, and in addition to not liking the Fishman stuff generally, I also don't like Taylors, but for whatever reason your combo sounds wonderful. Not the typical guy in a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts playing Jimmy Buffet covers, which is what I usually imagine when I think Taylor guitar through a Fishman amp!

EDIT: watched the video again, and forgot it's a Collings, not a Taylor. Maybe thats why is sounded so good!
Ha! Yes the recording a few posts above into the Fishman LB Performer was my new Collings OM1A.

Here is a live performance recording of my Taylor through the Fishman LB Performer at a live gig I did.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification