The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Default The Otterhound goes to Afghanistan

Today , I sent 2 lefty Otterhound T style guitars to Afghanistan .
I was put in contact with a CPT that is beginning his second deployment about some leftys in his forward unit that expressed a desire to use their spare time learning to play but lacked any guitars .
I know of one acoustic that has made the journey already .
I included strings , straps , picks , tuner and a capo .
They could use a battery powered amp or two , possibly a few cords and , of course , more acoustic and electric strings .
If you are interested in sending something over to this forward area , PM me and I will forward the name and address to you .
It cost me $20.00 to send a guitar so I don't want to hear any complaining about cost to do this .
The rest is up to you .
I have no doubt that they would not complain about any righty/backwards guitars .
Old 07-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Received these yesterday .

Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Those are some big smiles. Glad to hear that some guitars and music can make a difference.

When you mentioned "Otterhound T style" guitars, did you make them? I'm not familiar with them. They look great!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 AM

Yes , I built them .
Harvest my own wood . Necks by USACG using my neck wood . 1 piece cherry bodies ( 1 ringbark and 1 black cherry ) . One with a cherry/madagascar rosewood neck and the other is 1/4 sawn walnut with an ebony board .
These pics made my day .
I hope to stay in touch and have as many from this team as possible at my home when they return for a jam .
Since I am left handed , I tend towards leftys , but I have built 2 backwards ones . Can you imagine being a lefty stationed in Afghanistan and having a proper guitar there to help escape some of the stress and boredom ?
Considering the climatic conditions over there , a solid body electric has better odds of enduring the conditions .
As I posted before , if you care to send anything over to these incredible men and women , I will be happy to PM you with an address and a name .
These soldiers are stationed at FOB Bullard .
Thanks Dru .
Old 07-29-2012, 05:48 AM

Very impressive Otterhound. I like the fact that you harvested your own wood. I'm not looking to send any care packages but I am glad to hear about what you're doing to help.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Default on the way

Otterhound, thanks for the address was able to get the package out to them today. micro cube, a couple of cords and capo's.

Thanks for letting me know about the opportunity to help out the guy's

Rick

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM
.tom the übergeek

That's awesome you guys. I sent an Ibanez acoustic and a box of strings to a friend that was deployed in Baghdad and told him to leave it behind. I can't imagine any better way to de-stress at the end of the day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars