The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2016, 02:57 PM

Default Observation.

I have a K&K pure mine with the trident upgrade internal mike, run through a K&K pre amp, into the fishman mini loud box amp, using my HD-28 Martin.

Now I don't think if this as a problem, in fact its kind of nice. There is perceivable difference in the sound when I have equal volume set on the pre amp for the mic and the pickup. It is as if there is a delay of maybe a millisecond which gives somewhat of a re-verb or a slight echo sound, it disappears if I turn down the mic, or pickup. My theory is the mic and pickup relay sound or vibration in different ways, making a little different sound from each but still in-sink. I don't know if it can be heard by other I have no one to tell me so, but I can, probably because I am right on top of it and aware it is happening.

Again I like this, wondering if others with a similar setup have noticed this?
If so do you have a problem with it?

If I used an external mic on a stand would I get similar results?

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
I have a K&K pure mine with the trident upgrade internal mike, run through a K&K pre amp, into the fishman mini loud box amp, using my HD-28 Martin.

Now I don't think if this as a problem, in fact its kind of nice. There is perceivable difference in the sound when I have equal volume set on the pre amp for the mic and the pickup. It is as if there is a delay of maybe a millisecond which gives somewhat of a re-verb or a slight echo sound, it disappears if I turn down the mic, or pickup. My theory is the mic and pickup relay sound or vibration in different ways, making a little different sound from each but still in-sink. I don't know if it can be heard by other I have no one to tell me so, but I can, probably because I am right on top of it and aware it is happening.

Again I like this, wondering if others with a similar setup have noticed this?
If so do you have a problem with it?

If I used an external mic on a stand would I get similar results?
My theories are:

1) Maybe, there is a crosstalk between the two signals within the preamp and the electronics in the preamp also cause a slight delay between the two signals?

2) Maybe, the K&K's internal mic is picking up the sound from your loudspeakers, which being a slight distance away, gives a slight delay?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

There is latency between when the K&K pickup "hears" the guitar and when the internal mic "hears" it. That latency is less than one millisecond. Depending on how far the mic is from the pickup, certain frequencies (generally around 2k HZ plus or minus) will experience a minor amount of the comb filtering effect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification