The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2016, 10:07 PM

Default Problem with Lyric Endpin Jack

I installed a Lyric in my son's guitar a couple months ago and we've been really happy with it, but I've noticed that the endpin "cap" thing tends to loosen itself up and needs to be periodically tightened. Before a gig last night, we noticed it was really loose and when we tried to tighten it, the whole thing was kind of sliding back and forth. I guess the adjustment screws on the inside of the guitar got moved. Unfortunately I can't reach my arm that far inside the guitar to adjust them by hand.

Obviously I did something wrong on the install because I haven't heard about anyone else having this problem. So what did I screw up, and how do I fix it?

The Lyric still worked, by the way...
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 02-02-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Problem with Lyric Endpin Jack

There are adjustment nuts on either side of the barrel. If the fit is not tight on the inside and outside nuts, the jack can twist and loosen. You'll need to take the strings off, remove and re seat the jack properly. There should be a drawing available on the website. Some of the guitar technicians might have a better solution. There is also a tool available to make the job easier at Stewmac.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ck_Wrench.html

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-02-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:10 AM

I always dry fit it together to be sure I have the endpin sleeve set to proper depth, then on final assembly add just a touch of lock-tite to the inner and outer nut threads with a toothpick. Just a touch now as guitars are delicate critters and it may need to be removed someday. But I have never had one gradually work loose after doing this.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:13 AM

You may just need to tighten it down again. You need a very thin wrench to tighten that outside nut while you hold the jack shaft steady with a thin nail or a thin allen wrench placed through the hole in the shaft.

Ideally, you want the strap button to fit flush with the jack shaft once that outside nut is tightened and the strap button is screwed into place. If too much of the jack shaft extends through, that will keep you from being able to properly tighten the outside nut. Then you'll need to readjust the inside nut so a proper amount of jack shaft shows through. You'll want the thick part of the shaft to be just short of being flush with the surface of the guitar.

Having too little of the jack extending through can also be a problem as the strap button may extend too far past the jack to allow the cable plug to fit into the jack properly.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 AM

Not completely related, but I use these Stewmac "secure strap" things so that I'm not constantly twisting the stock endpin endpin caps.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:26 PM

Ok, thanks everyone. Kind of what I thought but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some trick I was missing. The lock-tite tip is a good one.

When I first installed it, I thought we got it right on the first try. Should have known that was too good to be true...
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 PM

I can't read...

I posted the same thing about a touch of loctite blue... (not red!)

Side note: anyone notice that loctite red comes in a blue tube, and loctite red comes in a blue tube? Dumbest crap I've ever seen.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 PM

Quick update: I reinstalled the jack, and took a little more care this time to make sure it was nice and snug. I also used some blue lock-tite on the outside part. Didn't quite trust myself and my big clumsy fingers to put it on the inside! I'm hoping it holds this time, but if not I know how to fix it...might even have to pony up and get that tool from Stewmac.

Thanks again for all the tips!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification