The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-18-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedbaby View Post
I picked up a Fender Squire that was signed by John Cougar Mellencamp in 1989 and since then never touched. It was a price from a radio station here in Houston. The friend of mine that won it way back then sold it to me for $200. I thought it was cool.

I had the local guitar shoep put some new strings on it, I took the tags off it, peeled the plastic and plugged it in. It works but there is a buzz in the guitar unless you hold your hand on the strings.

Anyone know what might cause this? Is this something I can fix or remedy myself?

Freedbaby
If it goes away when you touch the strings it's the bridge ground if it's just a slight hum that goes away when played the it's 60 cycle hum that comes with single coil pickups, but 60 cycle shouldn't be loud just in the background.
Go here, lots of friendly Squier knowledgeable folks. They'll get you sorted out
http://www.squier-talk.com

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6

Last edited by Paully; 01-18-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: at war with spell check
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 AM

Thanks for all the help, many of you were dead on. I had my first guitar lesson yesterday at a local music shop, Evans Music in Houston, Texas. They have a repair shop there and they were able to look at my guitar and determine that the buzz is just the nature of the beast with a single coil Fender...especially the cheap Squire guitars with low end pickups

So, since I don't like the buzz and I really only bought the guitar because it was signed by John Mellencamp, I think I will shop for something better.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Hi there! I see you've already got your answer but don't give up on the guitar. Have a look at this article:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

I bought a nice Mexican Classic 60s Tele last year and although it plays and sounds really well it did have a lot of noise that went away to a large extent when I touched the strings, controls, tuners etc. I followed the advice in this article and shielded the pickup cavities, the control cavity and lined the underside of the pickguard. I didn't disconnect and reconnect any wires in order to maintain continuity through the wire channels as the article suggested, but connected every section with a small strip of the insulating sheeting instead. The difference was night and day - MUCH less interference noise. Although such a modification takes a bit of time it doesn't cost much in terms of money and will make a big difference to the sound.

One piece of advice though - be careful when using the copper shielding sheet, especially when smoothing it down when it's in place, those darn edges are sharp...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Smile

What's the problem?
I love having a buzz.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars