The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM

Default Electric Nubie: String help

Guys... Just became the proud owner of my first electric guitar today (see sig). I likely would have been years longer getting to this point as I'm an acoustic junkie but this is a modeling guitar giving me lots of voicing choices play with instant tuning selection and the ability to build custom instruments with software so it was irresistible.

Okay, I'm wanting to upgrade the stock strings and wondering if the electric world likes coated strings like the acoustic world does or if this is a different enough bread of cat that it changes that. Just what provides the best comfort and best rich tone? (though tone isn't the biggest issue because of the modeling that is going one a lot goes into the processing)

I'm getting an occasional sting buzz on the 6th string so likely going to need to have my luthier do a setup on it but other than that like the way it plays. Just would like some nicer feeling strings on it right now.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 04-16-2015, 08:21 PM

As in acoustics, D'Addario XL is probably the standard in reasonably priced strings that get the job done.
I never got past using light 9-42 or 9-46 sets on strats, 10-46 or 9.5-44 on Gibsons, and 9.5-44 on PRSi. I have a very light touch, and don't usually have tuning issues with lighter strings.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 PM

Personally I use DR Lite N Heavy strings. 10 - 46

Tried just about everything out there (taught lessons at a store and could get strings for cost + 10%, so a new set of strings was $2-3, and I tried everything we carried). Settled on DR after reading an interview in Guitar Player magazine about Trey Anastasio of Phish (not ever a fan, I was a Dead fan), and he said that after he changed to DR's he never broke a string again.

Now, he's not known for aggressive bends or heavy playing but I thought I'd give them a try. At that time (early 90's) they were only available at certain stores. I was living in Springfield Ohio and the closest place was in Dayton or Columbus. When I would make the drive (about an hour each way) I'd usually get several sets.

Now they're carried in more stores, but I have to look for them. Or I order them online, and with shipping I usually get sets for about $4-5 each.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:35 AM

Hi Kip, congrats on the new guitar. I've never used coated electric strings (although I use them frequently on my acoustics). I don't know anyone who does use them but they're available.

My gut feeling tells me that coated strings have a greater tonal impact on acoustics than electrics but I can't back that up from experience or fact. Hoping someone will chime in because I'm interested in as well.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM

I may just slap on a set of elixirs just for giggles.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 04-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Everyone I know plays Ernie Balls. 9s for bending and 10s for more body. If you go 10, tune down a half step to prevent destroying your finger joints. This is important. I know guitarists that nearly had to quit due to arthritis from using a heavy electric gauge. Electrics use a lot more bending and bending a 10 gauge set is bending a 10 gauge set.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FWIW you might want to move this to the Electric Forum - I think you'll get lots more meaningful feedback there...
Knew you'd show up here sooner or later - welcome to the dark side...
Old 04-17-2015, 04:01 PM

Steve you're just evil... love ya man.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 04-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Everyone I know plays Ernie Balls. 9s for bending and 10s for more body. If you go 10, tune down a half step to prevent destroying your finger joints.......
Good advice here. I go a bit further and tune down a full step. It makes it easier to transpose on the fly. I use tens and would recommend that you do likewise. Being a longtime acoustic player, the tens should feel plenty light to you.

Ernie Balls are good strings, inexpensive, and are as available as bread and milk. I've never found a need for anything but a good, basic electric guitar string. No coatings or exotic alloys are needed to extend the life of the strings as with acoustics. I don't carry things this far myself, but I know several players who don't change strings until one breaks, or they no longer intonate properly. I change mine about every three months.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 PM

If in the mood to experiment, try some GHS Nickel Rockers 9-46 or 10-46. They're roller wound, so they are smoother and yield a great sound. The high nickel content makes them very warm.

They were the preferred string of Eric Johnson and Stevie Vaughn.

If you don't like them, you can always try something else.

Rock On!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Everyone I know plays Ernie Balls. 9s for bending and 10s for more body. If you go 10, tune down a half step to prevent destroying your finger joints. This is important. I know guitarists that nearly had to quit due to arthritis from using a heavy electric gauge. Electrics use a lot more bending and bending a 10 gauge set is bending a 10 gauge set.
That's what I do. I do a lot of soloing so I like to use 9s. I keep a couple of guitars with 10s as well but my fingers get sore bending on those ones and I can't play as fast.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Not to many people use coated strings on electrics. Ernie Balls, GHS are popular. I use 10's on my LP.

It's a fun world.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I play GHS Boomers 10-46 and highly recommend them. The GHS Nickel Rockers mentioned above are great for Blues or anything requiring a saturated tone, but for a modeling guitar I'd go with the Boomers.
GHS...Trust me on this.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Lots of good electric guitar strings out there... and I have taken to using Elixirs on both my Gibson ES-345 and my Taylor T-5, both strung with 11's...

I don't play my electrics all the time, and it's really nice to pick one out of the case, after months have gone by, and have the strings still sound crisp and clear...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars