The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 10:24 AM

All that bottom end you like ends up lost in a high pass filter in live use or recording, doesn’t it? Fine for home use.....correct me if I am wrong.

I have been enjoying experimenting a bit with the ES2 on the 717e. It is a very nice sound, and while I would use it direct to a PA in an emergency, I couldn’t help but try it through my Tonedexter preamp! My first discovery is that I like it to the TD with just the Bypass....hooking the ES2 to a nice additional preamp gives a bit ‘more’. But then....ha ha (crazy scientist laugh)...made some wavefiles that are superb (to me). Very, very nice file from my Neumann KM184 and the ES2 only needs a few percent blended in to de-quackerize the sound. Next I made a file using a basic Shure SM57 and a small blend with that file is an interesting sound.

I also liked my sound with the ES2 direct to my Boss VE8, nothing but a bit of reverb. Ready to go! The Boss preamp must be a nice match....and you never know these things until you plug in. All that stuff does your head (and ears) in after a while, so this weekend I have so far played just acoustically (at home) to enjoy the real guitar sound. This morning, I spent a bit of time with a capo on 3 or 4.....V Class is made for capoing! Tomorrow morning, I may do some DADGAD....or I may force myself to leave the 717e in its case and grab the real DADGAD’er...my Lowden 022. Tomorrow will tell...

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 05-04-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:24 PM

Just got back from trying a 517 and 717. I was pleasantly surprised. I preferred the 717, and it had more body and low end. Both were comfy and looked pretty cool, but were both sunburst and I would prefer natural. PERFECT DADGAD guitar in my opinion.

I’m in love with my D-18, and considering a 717 after my trip. Low end was plentiful and I liked that it sounded big and authoritative without sounding like a bluegrass guitar if that makes sense.

The only thing that has me concerned is that I didn’t really feel resonance on the body when playing. It was also on the heavy side for a guitar.

I’d like to try a few more and may consider one down the road.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:16 PM

I’ve owned a 517 BE for two months now and really appreciate the sound of this guitar. It is clear and pleasing in the upper registers, and has a thumpy bass which fully supports the trebles. The mahogany body of my guitar is pretty light, and I can definitely feel the bass notes in my chest. Today I compared the 517 with a 1991 Taylor 515 Ltd. which I own. The 515 is a jumbo body, with a mahogany/spruce combo. Despite the larger body, the 515 was not noticeably louder or bassier than the much newer 517. With the 515 I perceived a more metallic sound from the strings, and a cleaner “woodier” sound from the 517. That could be due though to the monels on the 515 and phosphor bronze strings on the 517. Today my ears preferred the 517.

On the issue of the loudness of the guitar, another 517 owner here had commented in another thread that comparing the 517 to a D-18 resulted in the player perceiving that the D-18 was louder, but the listeners out front picking the 517 as the loudest. That tends to support my own perception. In the marketing packet, Andy Powers talked about how the “woofiness” of traditionally braced guitars is tamed a bit by the V-class bracing. In other words, how V bracing slightly alters the air waves being pumped out by the top, to focus the bass into a slightly narrower boundry. Now to be clear, I love woofiness and none of my traditionally braced guitars have anything to worry about. But I wonder if the normal “woofiness” makes the guitar sound louder to the player without noticeably increasing volume for the out-front listeners? Sometimes when I’m playing the 517 it doesn’t sound as loud as I think it should, but when I then tilt the body up so that the sound hole is pointing more upward, I am surprised by how loud it is. More so than the same test on my D-15 and the 515 Ltd. Although I would never do it, I wonder what cutting a small sound port in the upper bout would do to the player’s perception of loudness.

Putting comparisons aside for a moment, the 517 is a wonderful instrument. If I owned no other acoustics, I would still be a very happy owner of the 517. The Taylor pedigree is apparent in the sound, but there is a clean vibrant woody tone that I haven’t noticed in any other Taylor. I enjoy listening to this guitar. I think the tone is definitely unique, which might turn some listeners away. But to my ear, it sounds like a great acoustic guitar which has definitely earned a place in my rotation. It is adept at finger and flat picking, while digging in makes it growl a bit. Sometimes I think that the 517 is more sensitive to player input than my other guitars, perhaps due to the V-class bracing? I love how balanced individual notes sound pretty much anywhere on the fretboard. I have changed string types several times, and the 517 definitely responds to different strings.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Grand Pacific 717 owner here. I have not tried the 317 or 517 but I have other Taylor and a few Martin guitars. I really like the woodiness sound of this Taylor and the playability is great. I’ve experimented with several different string options (after exchanging email with Andy Powers himself). #2 are Martin retro strings but I’ve currently settled on John Pearse New Mediums as my favorites. I have some JP Mediums on order so I’ll move to those next which should give me more volume. The only thing I do miss sometimes is having a bit more volume but overall I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarchi View Post
Grand Pacific 717 owner here. I have not tried the 317 or 517 but I have other Taylor and a few Martin guitars. I really like the woodiness sound of this Taylor and the playability is great. I’ve experimented with several different string options (after exchanging email with Andy Powers himself). #2 are Martin retro strings but I’ve currently settled on John Pearse New Mediums as my favorites. I have some JP Mediums on order so I’ll move to those next which should give me more volume. The only thing I do miss sometimes is having a bit more volume but overall I am very happy with my purchase.

Good post thanks!

I’m thinking about selling the J-45 for the 717. The more I think about it, the more I appreciate the comfort and the variety of sound compared to the D-18 and 000-18. Just need to reflect a bit more and think on it.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:32 PM

In the throes of the honeymoon, I am liking the Builder’s Edition V Class stuff so much that I thinking of ditching a couple/few of my other guitars to add the 517 to my 717. Greed? Yeah. I will play on sensibly for a while longer though.....I keep thinking what the NEXT Builder’s Edition could be? From a 917 to a new 1017 or in Marshall amp terms, a 11-17....or...gulp, a 777.....

Either way, the extras on the 717e are priceless. My Lowdens feel.....sharp! (Not really, they invented rounded and smooth). But they don’t come with their own name nice pickup system if you want it....

BluesKing777.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
In the throes of the honeymoon, I am liking the Builder’s Edition V Class stuff so much that I thinking of ditching a couple/few of my other guitars to add the 517 to my 717. Greed? Yeah. I will play on sensibly for a while longer though.....I keep thinking what the NEXT Builder’s Edition could be? From a 917 to a new 1017 or in Marshall amp terms, a 11-17....or...gulp, a 777.....

Either way, the extras on the 717e are priceless. My Lowdens feel.....sharp! (Not really, they invented rounded and smooth). But they don’t come with their own name nice pickup system if you want it....

BluesKing777.

I’ve been a v class skeptic since the beginning, but I’m coming around. The 717 was so comfortable that I have been thinking about how to add one all day. I’m just wondering what the 817 will look like lol.

I think I see one in my future, just have to figure out what goes...
Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 PM

Well, we don’t know the future and while there is currently a lot of anti - V Brace stuff going on....you have to think if that is reasonable or people not wanting guitars to improve and move forward, but if you don’t play up past the 3rd fret you probably wouldn’t notice much difference in intonation.

But imagine this: all of a sudden, every guitarist ONLY wants V Bracing. What happens to all the old X’s? Worthless? The music in the musical chairs game stops? Well, I have my 717e and trying to devise a calm exit strategy for some rattly old Fords I have!

My opinion is the new 717e can replace the J, the D and 000.... perhaps not a vintage piece or 2....but....

And did I say I love the detailing of the guitar? Just the little things you don't notice immediately - ebony headplate and the ebony truss rod cover with a nice tactile feel to it, and to top it off, ebony bridge pins, not forgetting the ebony bridge, ebony fingerboard and ebony binding on the neck. Nicely done by a robot fed by a clever human?

This video has some explanations of the uses of V bracing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTd6...M&index=8&t=0s

and the 'puff of air':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX3w...q&index=4&t=0s

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 05-04-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

As soon as they do a 817 I am all over it.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I’m just wondering what the 817 will look like lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
As soon as they do a 817 I am all over it.
What would be different about an 817? Both would have the same woods (Sitka/EIR), body shape and bracing. Just bling? And maybe it would be a standard with no BE features? The only real difference between a 714 and 814 is bling and the 714’s Lutz top...

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-05-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
What would be different about an 817? Both would have the same woods (Sitka/EIR), body shape and bracing. Just bling? And maybe it would be a standard with no BE features? The only real difference between a 714 and 814 is bling and the 714’s Lutz top...

I guess for me, I’d just prefer to see one with a full gloss. But the 717 I played was the sunburst and I didn’t like it in person. I want natural.

I think the J-45 is going up for sale soon.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I guess for me, I’d just prefer to see one with a full gloss. But the 717 I played was the sunburst and I didn’t like it in person. I want natural.

I think the J-45 is going up for sale soon.
That poor J-45 has been hanging by a thread for months now. Every time I’ve sold one I regretted it. You might remember I recently sold one for a V-class Taylor. Didn’t end well.

Have you played Martin’s new slope...DSS 17? Fun guitar. Might want to give it a try. Shockingly light and loud. I wouldn’t say it was on par with a D-18 or J-45... but if you like it as much as I like mine you’ll save a boat load of money.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-05-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
That poor J-45 has been hanging by a thread for months now. Every time I’ve sold one I regretted it. You might remember I recently sold one for a V-class Taylor. Didn’t end well.

Have you played Martin’s new slope...DSS 17? Fun guitar. Might want to give it a try. Shockingly light and loud. I wouldn’t say it was on par with a D-18 or J-45... but if you like it as much as I like mine you’ll save a boat load of money.

I have a lot of tonal overlap between the D-18 and J-45, and I’m still looking for a DADGAD guitar. I play DADGAD 75% of the time or more. The D-18 works well, but I love it for standard tuning as well. I want a dedicated guitar for DADGAD.

The 000-18 is fun in DADGAD but I just feel that it serves me better in standard as well.

I doubt I can really bring myself to sell the J-45, but I really did enjoy the 717. Maybe I should just hang tight and find a used 317 down the road.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

BluesKing777.
Don't feel too bad. Great minds must think alike. I still have a ways to go before having my 517 paid off, but I too am thinking about adding the 717 BE to my stable at some point in the future. Not because of anything wrong or deficient with the 517, but because of all the things Taylor got right with these Grand Pacific offerings.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Default Don't do it!!

Shades of Blue, take a moment to come to your senses.

"I'm thinking about selling the J-45 for the 717."
"I think the J-45 is going up for sale soon."

This may be regrettable sacrilege on the highest order!!

"I doubt I can really bring myself to sell the J-45, but I really did enjoy the 717."

Breathe, just breathe.
This insanity will pass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion