The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Silly, sorry to hear of you recent misfortunes. If you're not able to physically play the 2 hour sessions there's nothing wrong with playing at home for 10 minute intervals a few times a day.
+1. It's true that getting old is not for wimps. It's a steady stream of maladies for most of us. That said, if you give up, you just waste away. Play less. Look for possibilities of shorter performances.

I think about the disposition of my guitars from time to time. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them. They are the survivors of the 40-50 that I've bought in the years since I took up playing again. I plan to continue to enjoy them notwithstanding the likelihood that they will end up in an estate sale and sold for a few hundred dollars a piece (but someone will get a heck of a deal).

I've watched some of your videos. It would be a shame to give up and rust away. Keep on pluckin'.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:49 AM

I am really sorry to hear you are dealing with this. In plain langauge, it sucks!

I have a friend, a professional violin/fiddle player who did the surgery as she had no recourse. She can play now, but there is no additional steps to be taken.

Do not stop. I repeat, Do not stop playing unless the pain becomes so bad and so frequent that you must. Don't sell your wonderful instruments.

If reducing your playing time is necessary to keep from hurting, then do that.

You strike me as the kind of person that needs purpose. Your guitars and playing snd singing bring you purpose. Hang on as long as you can. If it gets doen to 20 minutes a day, that is still better that none.

I did not know of your involvement in photography. So, you don't lecture anymore. Understandable. But you still have knowledge. Write. You have probably have much to share. Lord knows there are many who think photography is just pushing buttons on a digital device.

You offer much to this forum and still can. No chair and slippers yet. I suspect you have much to offer about many things. Do so. Hang in there Andy.

Do what you can. Play what you can. Stay with us, continue to contribute.

Find new purposes. NO!!! Don't throw in the towel!

All the best,

Patrick
Old 04-28-2019, 08:50 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Keep playing Andy as long as you can. Then there are always Ukes to be had as well.

I've often thought about this being 64 and all and I've always thought I would keep things going by composing using GuitarPro or doing something with those music synth programs.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I'm 71, and after the my "annus horribilis" of 2017, and working hard to get my strength and voice back over last year, I'm now having Dupuytens Contracture, which as far as I know is incurable.
I find that a two hour rehearsal leads to terrible pain for the following 24 hours - I'm dropping glass ens this lap top has just fallen on the floor!

Is it time?

Right now, I can't imagine life without singing and playing, but I'm doing less performing now ... is it pipe and slippers time?
As I'm only two years in from the start of the baby boomer generation, is this when we all start dumping our treasures?
Anybody else in this position?
You have a host of challenges! From what you write to us, you seem to handle them as best you can. Don't ever decide to hang up that great brimmed hat of yours-you are much too talented to fade away stuffed in an over sized chair in a haze of pipe tobacco....
Old 04-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Right now, I can't imagine life without singing and playing, but I'm doing less performing now ... is it pipe and slippers time?
I'm at your age, Andy, and can relate, but without your style and extroverted personality. Keep doing your thing -- even if it's just a ukulele along with the pipe and slippers.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:09 AM

I'm not good at saying the right things at such news. Probably the cold-blooded engineer element in me, which looks for solutions and gets tongue-tied when I don't know one.

My arthritis issues come and go in severity, and I've definitely had to change the way I play. I never had the skill set and practice regimen to be reliably good, so in some ways I'm prepared for the clumsy days.

Wider necks, lighter strings, shorter scales, different chord forms and open tunings help a little. I keep telling myself to learn more about playing slide/bottleneck.

The keyboard player I've played with since the 70s has even worse issues and it's really limited his ability to play. There are a couple of keyboards in the studio that he plays when he can, and I mess around with in my limited way when he can't.

I'm partially in denial about the amount of guitars and music stuff I've accumulated. It's perhaps the only time in my life I've regretted my "get a bunch of different stuff at the lowest price I think I can find it" instead of "get one good one and be done." tactics. I don't regret the joy or the music, which justified it, just the endgame of needing to deal with it. It's a plus-minus for me now as I've be working steadily creating hundreds of original short pieces of music as part of project. A plus because I get sounds and inspiration from my decades pile of accumulation. A minus in that they can literally get in the way of other parts of the process. I'm once more thinking of taking a sabbatical month and at least sorting things out and getting rid of some again.

After which I plan to return to my clever plan: quickly make as much music as well as I can until I can't. Stories like my keyboard playing friend and yours only make we hurry up more.

I wish you the best in coping.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Yo Andy, I always enjoy your posts and playing. Just a thought but I read in a post awhile back that slide or lap steel was a way a couple of folks our age were able to continue playing with great enjoyment. Maybe?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear of the struggles you are experiencing. Loss of any kind is hard.

The answer, however, I do not have. The best I can offer is to trust your gut. The gut always knows...it is our head that gets in the way.

Take your time...listen to your own voice and ultimately, you will make the decision that is best for you.

KH
Old 04-28-2019, 09:19 AM

Sorry to hear things not looking good Andy - as long as you still have a passion for playing then keep on keeping on and find ways around the limitations you face. You add a lot to many people!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Ah, age creeps up on us, steals away some things we deem precious, but can also impart vision and clarity some of us lacked before.
As to playing guitar, you’ll know when it’s time, but your gifts as a communicator may well lead you on unexpected new adventures.
Best Wishes on your continuing journey !
Don (73 going on 39)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:32 AM

Silly - I’ll second (or third) the motion that you look into bottleneck slide or lap style slide playing (dobro intro starts at 2:45):

https://youtu.be/etn9_UCiU4I
Old 04-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Hi Andy,

I am really sorry to read of your hand troubles now on top of all the other things you have gone through lately.

You and I are the same age so I understand a lot of what you are going through. And I don't know the answer about getting rid of guitars.

It might be time to reduce the inventory you have. I keep thinking the same thing about myself and I have more guitars than you do. But I really don't want to let go of my connection to music and the guitar and I am guessing that you feel the same way.

I have mostly moved away from live playing. It's so much more physically demanding than just picking up a guitar at home and playing for 10 or 15 minutes. And as others have suggested, that might be one answer. Keep maybe one guitar, play it for only 10 or 15 minutes a few times a day, see what you can do to maintain your YouTube channel, and do the best you can with your garden.

That's about the approach I have been taking. I, too, enjoy gardening and it's harder than ever to get out there and do the work. But for me, I am not ready to give up yet, so I soldier on. I hope you will, too.

Take care Andy...

- Glenn
Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

So sorry to hear of your maladies, Andy. I sure enjoy your posts and your insights shared via You Tube and on this forum as well. You have charisma and a gift of storytelling that transcends physical ailments.

I hope you continue playing as much as is enjoyable for you and share when you can.

Perhaps it is time to try silk and steel strings to ease the stress on your joints? Perhaps a quality nylon strung guitar? Lowden jazz models sound wonderful..

Just don't let the pain stop your passion and turn enjoyment into dread. Work through what you are experiencing, but never give up. Music and entertaining have been an important part of your life and passion.

Thank you for sharing your gifts.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:44 AM

Sorry to hear your troubles Silly. I can’t offer any advice but as a newbie to the forum, it seems to me that your videos are highly valued, so perhaps building your library of videos can fill the gap as you reduce your live playing. Best wishes.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:50 AM

Sorry to read you are considering to stop playing guitar.
I loved your videos : the comforted to try an archtop.
Don't give up !
Orthopedic or plastic hand surgeon could probably help, but you surely would lose some more months off the guitars...
Anyway, I would at least look for an expert opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion