The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 11:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Scott, please post a photo when you get that pickguard from Taylor. I’m a sucker for a natural finish slope with the batwing. He sent me a photo last summer of s really nice looking one he makes for my LG2 model. I’m still thinking about going that direction.
Russ, thanks, good to hear from you. Will do. If you don't hear from me in a few weeks, rattle my chain. Because I know what it's like to run a small shop, I've told Taylor to tend to his more urgent customers or needs and put me on the back burner, no rush. Again, been there, done that.

I think he's a bit younger than me, and I've been offering -- free of charge -- some pointers on getting his website up, marketing, etc. I hope I don't sound like I'm full of myself. I just like helping people, especially someone who makes such gorgeous products. Eventually I'm going to have a small section up on our site where we recommend vendors we love -- again, no charge -- just because I think it's good for the industry. So he'd be part of that for sure. And not just anyone. It will be a select group -- Eastman, Martin, Larivee. The first one we'll put up? Dunlop. No kidding. Dunlop. They've revolutionized the pick industry and will always be the leader. The only way I wouldn't put them up is if I asked them first (which I will do with everyone) and they declined. But otherwise, they're the first ones to go up.

BTW, Russ, as you probably surmised from my post, the "tan line" of that Epi MB pickguard is enormous, so if we do end up doing a batwing, it has to be a full inch larger on the bottom (closest to the edge of the top). I told him not to do it if it's too much trouble, but he insisted.

Thanks, Russ, always good to hear from you.

scott
Old 02-19-2019, 06:03 AM

I bought my Epi DR500mce in 2014, traded a Takamine as the Tak wasn’t giving me the tone I wanted and I experienced a sore shoulder at times after playing it. The Epi gave me the tone I was after and a side benefit was no more sore shoulder. Checked the dimensions of both guitars and discovered the Epi body is 1/4” less deep than the Tak. Interestingly the Epi has more bottom end sound. The plek’d setup was excellent out of the box, too.

Now that I’ve owned it for approaching 5 years I’ve experienced no issues. I do trim the opening (to make the hole larger) of guitar straps that attach to the oversized end pin. I find the electronics very versatile and have used separate cords from both pickup connections to stereo in when recording for a very big sound. I’ve also used the mag pickup only, located near sound hole at end of the fretboard, with the tone control set to no treble and can get a near nylon stringed guitar sound.

Just wanted to report my excellent experience with this Epi Masterbilt
Epiphone DR500mce
Epiphone Texan (old)
Plus an assortment of bass and electric guitars
Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 AM

Love my DR500 as well. Only issue is that darn endpin strap button.
Hard to fit anything on there securely.

I would love to utilize the stereo dual outputs, but unless you have a right and left speaker, it's kind of pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor Bill View Post
I bought my Epi DR500mce in 2014, traded a Takamine as the Tak wasn’t giving me the tone I wanted and I experienced a sore shoulder at times after playing it. The Epi gave me the tone I was after and a side benefit was no more sore shoulder. Checked the dimensions of both guitars and discovered the Epi body is 1/4” less deep than the Tak. Interestingly the Epi has more bottom end sound. The plek’d setup was excellent out of the box, too.

Now that I’ve owned it for approaching 5 years I’ve experienced no issues. I do trim the opening (to make the hole larger) of guitar straps that attach to the oversized end pin. I find the electronics very versatile and have used separate cords from both pickup connections to stereo in when recording for a very big sound. I’ve also used the mag pickup only, located near sound hole at end of the fretboard, with the tone control set to no treble and can get a near nylon stringed guitar sound.

Just wanted to report my excellent experience with this Epi Masterbilt
Old 02-27-2019, 02:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Love my DR500 as well. Only issue is that darn endpin strap button.
Hard to fit anything on there securely.

I would love to utilize the stereo dual outputs, but unless you have a right and left speaker, it's kind of pointless.
Huh, haven't had any problems with my AJs in that regard. Wonder if for some reason it's just specific to the other dreads.

scott memmer
Old 02-28-2019, 09:16 AM

These are awesome sounding live stage guitars

Last edited by JackB1; 03-04-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Great deal here for a mint DR500!!!

These are awesome sounding live stage guitars

https://reverb.com/item/18937849-epi...ntage-sunburst

Can't go wrong with these. Jump on it!

sm
Old 03-02-2019, 09:35 PM

Default Gary Clark Jr. playing an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500

Gary Clark Jr., “12 Bar Blues-Jam” (playing an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWl2Zxs2es

Last edited by welshr; 03-02-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:05 AM
In between waves

I have a Masterbilt AJ-500 with rosewood back and sides and nice sunburst finish. I got that guitar at a steal of a price and took her overseas with me a few times. On my last trip to the Middle East she ended up with a big crack in the back that happened when I shipped her home. I didn't bat an eyelash at having her repaired. I wish I could say she is good as new but the you can see and feel the repair, however its stable, sounds good, and plays well. That guitar survived a war zone and has the scars to prove it!
G&L S-500
Old 03-06-2019, 02:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Folks, a model that doesn't get enough praise in the older EPI MB models is the little EF-500 OM models. I recently got extremely lucky to snag one of these locally for only $250 from someone on CL moving out of the area (very nice guy; guitar was not hot).

The one I got is the EF-500mns, with the letters standing for "mahogany," and "natural satin," I believe. I like the satin models because when playing out with pictures being taken it doesn't reflect fingerprints, etc. And it's a fine little player.

They also made a few blinged-out version of the same guitar, I believe with genuine mother-of-pearl and not imitation. They are hard to track down and tend to run close to $1000 for a good, clean used one. But just gorgeous. And I'm not certain, but I believe they may have also made a few rosewood b&s of this same model. All solid wood, and a fine fingerstyle instrument.

I don't think these get as much buzz because most of us, including me, play mostly dreads. But if you're needing a good little all-solid OM, these are sweet.

scott memmer
Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Folks, a model that doesn't get enough praise in the older EPI MB models is the little EF-500 OM models. I recently got extremely lucky to snag one of these locally for only $250 from someone on CL moving out of the area (very nice guy; guitar was not hot).
Congratulations, Scott. I'll bet it's a beauty! I have an Epiphones EF-500R and it is one of my favorite guitars. Post some pics. or we'll think you are just making up a story. Enjoy your new guitar!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Congratulations. I'll bet it's a beauty! I have an Epiphones EF-500R and it is one of my favorite guitars. Post some pics. or we'll think you are just making up a story. Enjoy your new guitar!
Hah! Mine is extremely clean -- even stranger, because he brought it with no case whatsoever. I was leery over the phone with the guy figured it was hot, but I met him I could tell he was a very honest and respectable young man. I would NEVER buy a guitar if it had even a hint of theft about it.

Interestingly, he had it on CL for a while, and by the time I got to it, it had been sold. Then, low and behold, a week later it was back up for sale. Typical story: the first guy was a CL flake and he had pulled it down then reposted.

I said, "I'll be right there and I have cash." I met him in an Office Depot on Long Beach. Sweet sweet sweet.

I suppose it's an empty hope, but I'd love to see the new management at Gibson, once they get settled, re-intro some of these models. There are so fine.

George, do you think they got rid of them because they were stealing too many sales from Gibson Bozeman, where they make the flat top models?

sm
Old 03-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
George, do you think they got rid of them because they were stealing too many sales from Gibson Bozeman, where they make the flat top models?
Whenever you make and sell something that is less expensive and is quite similar to a more expensive item it will definitely reduce sales of the more expensive item. Epiphone makes or has made various models of Hummingbirds and Doves that closely resemble the Gibson Hummingbirds and Doves. The Epiphones cost 1/5 or less of the cost of the Gibsons. Gibson owns Epiphone, so, it looks like they are kinda "shooting themselves in the foot".
Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Whenever you make and sell something that is less expensive and is quite similar to a more expensive item it will definitely reduce sales of the more expensive item. Epiphone makes or has made various models of Hummingbirds and Doves that closely resemble the Gibson Hummingbirds and Doves. The Epiphones cost 1/5 or less of the cost of the Gibsons. Gibson owns Epiphone, so, it looks like they are kinda "shooting themselves in the foot".
That was my sense too, George. I just wonder if they made the MB models a little TOO good and they really butted up against the Bozeman folks. And I'd be surprised if there isn't a lot of "sibling rivalry" between those groups too.

I've had techs tell me that the inside of an Epi Les Paul is pretty dang impressive.

Thanks, George,
Scott
Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
I have a Masterbilt AJ-500 with rosewood back and sides and nice sunburst finish. I got that guitar at a steal of a price and took her overseas with me a few times. On my last trip to the Middle East she ended up with a big crack in the back that happened when I shipped her home. I didn't bat an eyelash at having her repaired. I wish I could say she is good as new but the you can see and feel the repair, however its stable, sounds good, and plays well. That guitar survived a war zone and has the scars to prove it!
Sterling, I haven't played the rosewood versions, but I'm certain they are equally fine. These are just great little guitars.

sm
Old 05-03-2019, 04:54 AM

I have had my Masterbuilt DR500MCE for at least 5 years or so. It is a great sounding guitar. I like the ability to adjust and mix the sound of the two different pickups. I put medium strings on it at one point, and it just roars with the mediums on it. I was concerned about the extra string tension so I went with the mix of mediums on the E,B, and E strings, and lights on the rest.
Martin GPRS1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion