The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2016, 02:07 PM

As I recall, on some of his early YouTube videos, Leon played a tuba. Very intriguing guy.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:26 PM

Always have been a big fan of his. My buddy and I saw him live at The Box Theatre in Chicago back in the 80"s.

I also remember him doing those All laundry detergent ads. Love that type of music.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
As I recall, on some of his early YouTube videos, Leon played a tuba. Very intriguing guy.
I don't believe Leon played tuba. He's played with tuba greats like Jonathan Dorn. Leon also did a mean mouth tuba effect that was quite entertaining. He was also a fabulous whistler.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 11-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Fred Kaiser, who used to book the Philadelphia Folk Festival, once told me this story:

Leon was scheduled to play the festival and by chance was hanging out with Fred at his home before heading over the the festival grounds. While the world knows next to nothing about Leon, this can be certain. According to Fred, Leon is an EXCEPTIONAL pool shark, who beat the pants off of him.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Default very rare "interview"

Old 11-24-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Fred Kaiser, who used to book the Philadelphia Folk Festival, once told me this story:

Leon was scheduled to play the festival and by chance was hanging out with Fred at his home before heading over the the festival grounds. While the world knows next to nothing about Leon, this can be certain. According to Fred, Leon is an EXCEPTIONAL pool shark, who beat the pants off of him.
Something he has in common with Eddie Lang then, besides both being great guitar players - what a shame they weren't both around at the same time to make records together, would've been spectacular!
Old 11-24-2016, 08:06 AM

Saw Mr. Redbone play a number of times in Toronto in the 70s, usually at the Riverboat. Still have his first two recordings (LPs!!)...bought the first one, On the Tracks, just because I love the WB/Bugs Bunny frog on the cover. You have to admit that that frog and Leon were a good match. Of course, the camel was no slouch either.

My mother heard it and said, "It's about time you started listening to real music!" So, I took her to see him and she had a ball...ended up taking her to see Gord, Neil, Cat Stevens and a whole lot of other acoustic acts over the next few years. But Leon started it off.

Ah, the memories...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:29 AM

I think it was the mid or later seventies my brother said, 'check this out'. It was a Leon Redbone album...one of those big black round things you would put on a turning apparatus. I loved it. Very much different from the music I was listening to at the time. So every chance we got, my brother and I would introduce it to our friends when they stopped around. It was interesting to see the response. "What is this?". And they all loved it too. Leon opened up musical avenues that high-schoolers never knew at that time. My father would just grin. We look for timelessness. Good stuff sticks. I still hum 'Lazy Bones' even after all these years.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Leon Redbone is one of my musical heroes. I love his eccentricity, his presentation and delivery, and his repertoire which I would define as Hokum and vaudeville.

I've had two duos doing lots of his material, with me playing archtop guitar, dobro, mandolin, Hawaiian, etc. I miss those gigs.

I once saw him sitting with friends in a local village pub. A fellow muso confirmed that it was definitely him and that he had a house in the village (a very quiet, arty and affluent part of the country) He said "we have a tacit agreement in this village - we don't approach celebrities. I left him in peace ....kinda wish I hadn't.

Very saddened to hear that he has retired from performing and recording. I have all his albums.
c
Old 11-24-2016, 09:16 AM

We always wondered if Redbone and Frank Zappa had ever been seen at the same time....

We still have several CDs around, and I seem to recall one of the older Austin City LImits segments featuring Redbone.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Saw Mr. Redbone play a number of times in Toronto in the 70s, usually at the Riverboat. Still have his first two recordings (LPs!!)...bought the first one, On the Tracks, just because I love the WB/Bugs Bunny frog on the cover. You have to admit that that frog and Leon were a good match. Of course, the camel was no slouch either.

My mother heard it and said, "It's about time you started listening to real music!" So, I took her to see him and she had a ball...ended up taking her to see Gord, Neil, Cat Stevens and a whole lot of other acoustic acts over the next few years. But Leon started it off.

Ah, the memories...

Phil
Had a similar experience with my mother when we saw Martin, Bogen and Armstrong open for Steve Goodman in Minneapolis back in the 70s. She talked about that show the rest of her life.

I remember Leon Redbone used to appear on Johnny Carson's show quite often for a while. Evidently, Carson had interesting and unexpected musical tastes and helped several people like Redbone reach a much bigger audience.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Leon Redbone is one of my musical heroes. I love his eccentricity, his presentation and delivery, and his repertoire which I would define as Hokum and vaudeville.

I've had two duos doing lots of his material, with me playing archtop guitar, dobro, mandolin, Hawaiian, etc. I miss those gigs.

I once saw him sitting with friends in a local village pub. A fellow muso confirmed that it was definitely him and that he had a house in the village (a very quiet, arty and affluent part of the country) He said "we have a tacit agreement in this village - we don't approach celebrities. I left him in peace ....kinda wish I hadn't.

Very saddened to hear that he has retired from performing and recording. I have all his albums.
c
Thanks for sharing! He's really unique! I can't stop listening to his music and i will study some of his songs for sure!
Old 11-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
great stuff, thanks for sharing
Old 06-04-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrpck View Post
Leon, now retired, is/was a national treasure. One of the best performers/song interpreters of blues, jazz to grace a stage.
Until today I had heard the name but knew nothing about him, today all that changed, I'm now a big fan. RSP Leon.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 AM

Well of the tunes presented today, those were standards out of the american songbook. I dont see them as blues at all. Would you call Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong blues? I dont really think of them as jazz either though at the time that is what they called it. My dad had tones of those albums from the 40's so I guess it could be called 40's jazz but thats not the term that is usually used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion