The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Closing in on a Seagull, Laminate vs. solid?

I think I am almost ready for my "next" level guitar. I went to Guitar Center yesterday to try out some Martins, Taylors & Godin brands. I really really liked the room that the Seagull gives me at the nut and the feel of it. I am considering the Performer Cutaway Folk, Flame Maple w/ QI electrics, which I understand is uses laminated wood or the Artist Mosaic Cutaway Folk w/QII electrics which I understand is solid wood. Looking for opinions on those two, as I wasn't able to play an Artist model yet. Also, does anyone know which sponsors of this forum can order A seagull for me, I'd like to give them the biz as this forum is great!

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash

Last edited by freedomfarm; 12-07-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Seagulls are designed with the laminate in mind. While it is true that this is a cost savings measure that's not the only reason for it. Their laminates are of a very high quality and I kind of dig the fact that they are made from a sustainable source, cherry.

Play them all and pick what pleases you. If it's a laminate then don't be surprised.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM

I love Seagull. I have a Coastline Grand Parlor and it's a sweet little guitar. Solid cedar top with cherry back and sides. It sounds really nice. Very easy to play and surprisingly loud for what it is. It stays in tune very well.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Check out Seagulls SWS series. They are Solid wood for around $600.00.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

It's funny, I've heard real good lam cherry back and side seagulls and real good solid series (SWS - Maritime) - I wouldn't pick solely for materials used, but by which one speaks to you the best (best sound).
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM

That's funny I would buy soild wood over plywood from the same company.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Regarding Godin family of acoustics, my experience has been that:
  • The quality and tone are very consistent within the same model, from one unit to another.
  • Godin's bread-and-butter is in the laminate cherry B/S. I don't think anyone in the world makes better guitars in the sub-$400 range.
  • For all-solid models, I think it depends on the wood. To my ears, the Mahogany models are good but not spectacular. I have a Rosewood one that sounds absolutely fantastic.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbazil View Post
Check out Seagulls SWS series. They are Solid wood for around $600.00.
I played one, it really wanted to follow me home. My wife darned near went back for it... Ah but she likes spending my money. I found a great used solid wood Seagull for less than half the price of new. The laminates sound good but not as good as solid. I love playing this one. In fact it's calling me right now...

Jerry
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
I think I am almost ready for my "next" level guitar. I went to Guitar Center yesterday to try out some Martins, Taylors & Godin brands. I really really liked the room that the Seagull gives me at the nut and the feel of it. I am considering the Performer Cutaway Folk, Flame Maple w/ QI electrics, which I understand is uses laminated wood or the Artist Mosaic Cutaway Folk w/QII electrics which I understand is solid wood. Looking for opinions on those two, as I wasn't able to play an Artist model yet. Also, does anyone know which sponsors of this forum can order A seagull for me, I'd like to give them the biz as this forum is great!
You say you are ready to go to the next level.....if it were me, I would try to go as high as I can at this given time.

The QI electronics didn't really impress me a whole lot and was the reason I moved on to a Breedlove.....

Some of Seagulls guitars have larger 1.8 nut-width.......there guitars do vary in playability due to neck configuration and nut-width differences.....if you don't like larger nut-width/neck configuration Seagulls are probably not your ticket, unless you want the S6 Slim...

To me "playability" has GOT to be there from the get-go and extremely high on my list of "must-haves".....Sure you can set it up later, but that is taking for granted it can be set-up to meet my needs...

You need to actually play the Artist model to make sure the QII electronics is superior...And that the feel, size, sound, and playability suit your style & needs........
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the input everyone (and feel free to keep it coming). SteveA, I love the 1.8" nut width, I agree on going as high as can for my "next level" but that is contigent upon how big my bonus is this Friday.

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 12-07-2011, 01:40 PM

I've got a Seagull S12 (cherry laminate with cedar top) that sounds great; not as great as my old Taylor 855, but I can take it places where I would never take the Tayor (camping, beach, etc.). I went out and found an old, Original 6 because I too like the extra room on the fingerboard and wanted something to take places to which I don't want to expose my higher end guitars, but it doesn't have the tonal quality of the 12. Perhaps I'll try a Colosi bone saddle and see if that helps.

Each guitar is an instrument unto itself and there is variation from unit to unit within each model line.
RainSong WS3000 (2007)
MLJ Acoustics OM-12 - bubinga/carpathian (2012)
Composite Acoustics GX HG (2013)
Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
I agree on going as high as can for my "next level" but that is contigent upon how big my bonus is this Friday.
I've seen some great deals on Seagulls. Discounts from 850 to 699 for instance. Could be one of the best deals in guitars right now.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 PM

I have a Seagull Entourage dread with the 1.72 nut. Wish I had went with one of the other models with the 1.8.
Also have a Recording King 000 with 1.75 nut. More comfortable to play but the Gull sounds way better to me.
Seagull S6 mini jumbo is on my wish list.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Laminate woods make great concrete forms. For guitars, go solid.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

i don't think one can properly go to the next level without hearing the guitar in question. even if it's technically better according to specs, it may not be better for you tonally or in feel. perhaps you could order the guitar you're interested in from your local gc - that way, if you don't like it, you can return it to that gc, saving yourself return shipping if it doesn't turn out to be the guitar for you, and allowing you to instantly buy another guitar if you wish. say, the s6

for what it's worth, most of the seagull s6's that i've played sounded wonderful. i cried when i sold mine, but just couldn't play a dread any longer. you can always get one without electronics and have them added down the line.

there are martins and taylors with wider nuts, and there are also other brands like eastman - not that much more than one of the all solid seagulls - recording king and the blueridge A series that have somewhat wider nuts than the run of the mill guitar center guitar. btw, i won't buy a guitar with a 1 11/16" nut any more. i love that seagull 1.8" nut, and won't go smaller than 1 3/4" again, although i try to keep it between 1 13/16" and 1 7/8".

blueridge all solid, adirondack spruce over mahogany, 1 3/4" nut
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdeta...0a/52957/80426

recording king all solid, sitka spruce over redwood, 1 3/4" nut
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...ght--RD227.htm

on the other hand, if you're on a budget and like your necks as wide as i do, seagull is your best bet. but try some guitars with the 1 3/4" nut and they might be fine for you.

Last edited by patticake; 12-07-2011 at 05:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion