The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Sigmas can be as nice as anything else. However they run the gamut from fantastic solid-wood topped guitars to all laminate paper weights. I would only buy a solid-topped one but if you find a good Sigma (I prefer older ones) and you can get it for a decent price (hard to do at times for a quality one) and you like it, just like any guitar, you can't go wrong. Listen to your ears and fingers and forget what anyone else thinks.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 AM

The best value IMO in lower priced guitars are in some of the modern day imports. Blueridge makes some excellent solid top models that can be picked up for a few $$$.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the great advice. I spent a couple of hours yesterday playing a few sigma and my dream Martin. I can't find any of the other brands my local gc don't carry them. But I can tell a big difference In the martin. I'm half way of having the money for it so I think I just wait and get what I really want. I got a pretty good washburn d11 an to hold me over. Thanks for all the help
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Default Sigmas, Tacomas, Guilds...

All of these guitar companies got bought out, or changed direction, and the guitars suffered. The old Sigmas were good, as were the old Tacomas, the old - and now new, Guilds. There was a time there - not sure when, the 70's? - when the Guilds were lousy. They are OK again now. (I am sure there are Guild experts who can provide the details).

What happens is that companies, who do not know much about guitars, but know brand strength and position, take over an instrument company and pretty much ruin it. They cut corners to make profits and then bingo, sales are off.

Even my beloved Silver Creek guitars are now coming through without pickguards and have aging toner on the tops. I hope the sound quality remains good, but this is a brand that might get scooped up and then ruined.

So far the Hello Kitty guitars have remained consistent!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 AM

Default Erm

I bought the limited edition Sg45 sigma (one of 45 or something). It's a very nice guitar and is breaking in nicely.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

At one time Sigma was owned by Martin, but that was a long time ago. These days the Sigma name is owned by AMI corp from Germany and the guitar are made in China. The one I had was a really good guitar.

That's my Sigma OMR-21 alongside my Martin CS OM-18. I'd probably still have it if it wasn't for the OM-18 being the best sounding guitar I've ever touched.

The guy who bought it played it for a couple of minutes and took it for the same price I paid.

I don't know about the other sigma's, but that one was really nice.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:17 AM

i've been playing since the 70's. I play and don't collect. I don't discuss picks.

The new sigmas I played has been very good. The 28 something herringbone when they first returned, and the new j200 is insanely good...
Old 06-11-2019, 03:18 PM

I've owned a couple of the newer Sigmas - a SDR-28MLE and whatever their copy of the Martin 00015M is called. Both were nice instruments. I sold them because I was discovering my preference for 0/00 12-fret guitars, but they were good value for the money I paid.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM

I have a Sigma DM3Y, Korean made, from the early 80's, which I purchased as new. This is an all laminate guitar. It has aged beautifully. As an all-laminate, the volume and depth of tone suffer when it is fingerpicked with bare fingers. But when played with a pick it comes alive and sounds quite good. The neck is easy to play, and with its good setup it has been a keeper for all these years.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:55 AM

What about a different line of thought. Consider one of the Martin “X” models, with HPL back and sides and a solid top. My daughter has had one for years and it is still good. The ones I have played sounded and played good.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo2121 View Post
I am thinking about getting a sigma I played one today for ever and really liked it.
That's all you need to know, so why let all the negativity put you off? Lots of totally misguided Sigma prejudice around here - maybe more so in the USA than Europe. It's a myth that Sigma were better back in the day - they are infinitely better instruments now than back in the 70s. Buy one and be grateful that a company can build guitars this good for a quarter of the price of 'you know who'.

I played a few Sigma's last week, when I was looking at Gibson and Martin acoustics. I was more impressed by the cheapest one they had - Sigma OMM-ST+ - than any of the X Series Martin's... and it's made of wood, not HPL. If Sigma can make guitars as good as this at this price, then why do Martin fob us off at twice the price with HPL? Oh yeah, sustainability and saving the planet! End of rant!

Last edited by Arthur Slowhand; 11-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:40 PM

The original title from this 2010 thread was re: Martin Sigma's. I'm a fan and owner of an '82 Sigma MIJ for CF Martin DR-41. It's a really cool guitar. I've liked most Sigma's I've played, no matter where made. The made for Martin ones, I would imagine there are quite a few good ones out there.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo2121 View Post
I am thinking about getting a sigma I played one today for ever and really liked it. I'm a newbie and can't afford the d15 I want. But the neck seems to have that Martin feel. So what do y'all think? Should I wait and get the real deal or get the sigma
Why not -their not pricy and if you like the sound- its a good place to start .
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Default answer: get an Eastman or keep saving.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:50 AM

There's nothing at all wrong with Sigma guitars, and I suggest some of the more negative comments are from those who haven't played any of the new models, which do include some all solid guitars. In the US they may be marketed under the 'Kindred' brand.
Here are two all-solid '18' models, a OOO and a D; less than £500 each:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ddFZYNN0w

And a couple of 'G-style' guitars for comparison. These are solid topped with laminate back and sides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yztiJchxlcY&t=342s

I would be happy with any of them.

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-12-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion