The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Welcome, Earthworks! So great that you found a zombie thread with info that helped you solve your issue. That is great. Glad you'll be back, Dave.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-11-2023, 07:27 PM

Default Zombie Thread 2.0! But really a PSA for first time slot-head users

Sorry if it's bad etiquette to revive this thread yet again, but the information in the previous posts REALLY helped me narrow down what I thought was a rattling truss rod.

Just picked up a fun little Pono DS-20. Great guitar with superb playability. The tone is what I'd describe as sweet (bare-flesh picking), and it's surprisingly responsive.

Long story short(ish), after a few minutes of playing I run into a rattle/buzz that I've never heard before. Very jarring to the ears. This was not a fret buzz, as I'm very familiar with those. This was different. The entire neck seemed to rattle and vibrate when a few notes were played. My heart sank. So I grab the hex key and tighten the truss rod...no change. I then tapped on the back of the neck (as directed by a previous post)...nothing. Maybe a loose brace? Light tapping on the top and back revealed no rattle. On to the tuners, where all the screws were found to be very tight. And it was at this moment I looked down and noticed something strange about the low E string's angle coming off the nut toward the headstock. The string was pressing right into the wood of the headstock itself! The previous stringer must've not known the proper way to restring a slotted headstock, and neither did I. Haha. Turns out both the low and high E string were lying alongside the wood of the headstock. I was able to run the string wrap inward on both strings, and sure enough, this cured the guitar of rattles. A lovely moment!

I don't know how common this problem is in out little world, but this Pono did come from Guitar Center and was surely restrung by an employee there. They don't see many slotted headstocks, so I can't really fault them. So for those new to this type of guitar headstock, I thought I'd post this.

AGF to the rescue again, so thank you very much!

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion