The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 AM

I’ll just add that, despite whatever you’ve read to the contrary, I think the cedar-topped Seagull mini-jumbos sound great. Again, in several side by side comparisons, I’ve always preferred the cedar top over the spruce. So don’t rule them out because someone somewhere waxed eloquent about how superior the spruce-topped Seagull MJs are to the cedar-topped examples. That definitely hasn’t been the case the half dozen or so times I’ve been able to make direct comparisons.

I should add that most of the time I’m not a hardcore cedar top fan. But there are two brands of guitars where I think that cedar brings out the best that those designs are capable of: Seagull/Simon & Patrick, and Takamine.

whm
Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Far from me to suggest that the one would be the better than the other, or even that they cannot both sound very nice.

What's said is based on what I think is a rather honest comparison between the 2 options from the Dowina range. The cedar-topped one sounds warm and full and attractive, the spruce topped one maybe less immediately pleasing but ultimately I think I prefer the sound. Or maybe ended up recognising that it's probably the more versatile of the two.
That may be something brand-specific that has something to do with the respective builds, but I don't think that's likely here.

Not unlike wine, actually; there's the everyone's friend kind that you quickly get bored with, and then there's the kind that grows on you and keeps showing new faces. Although, scrap that, that *would* be a case where the one is clearly better than the other.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion