The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM
archerscreek archerscreek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Default

After this thread popped up I thought I'd pay attention to the weight of the resonator and acoustic when I played both sitting down. Most of the pressure I felt on my leg came from my arm draped on top of the guitars.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,653
Default

One problem that I've had with metal-bodied resos is that they tend to be heavy in the butt. That is, the metal lower bouts tend to make the guitar a bit unbalanced sitting on my right leg, and the bottom of the guitar tends to dive, pulling the neck up. A corresponding problem is that many do not have a very tight waist, and so when playing classical position (guitar on the left leg, body between the legs) the guitar wants to slip between the legs. Which is not a problem that I seem to have with my Rayco, which is a wood-bodied 00 size.

OMMV
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
After this thread popped up I thought I'd pay attention to the weight of the resonator and acoustic when I played both sitting down. Most of the pressure I felt on my leg came from my arm draped on top of the guitars.
Oh right, I forgot about that, but that's always going to be there. I wonder if anyone has ever put an arm rest on a metal resonator... although I guess the amount of pressure transferred through the guitar body onto the thigh would be the same any way, with only the player's arm and shoulder benefiting from the armrest.
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:51 PM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
One problem that I've had with metal-bodied resos is that they tend to be heavy in the butt. That is, the metal lower bouts tend to make the guitar a bit unbalanced sitting on my right leg, and the bottom of the guitar tends to dive, pulling the neck up. A corresponding problem is that many do not have a very tight waist, and so when playing classical position (guitar on the left leg, body between the legs) the guitar wants to slip between the legs. Which is not a problem that I seem to have with my Rayco, which is a wood-bodied 00 size.

OMMV
Yeah, that's what roylor4 was saying. I guess if the left leg is elevated on a stool, then the right thigh / knee can get underneath the guitar a bit, so that the butt is pushed up?

They should make a metal reso with a helium chamber in it. Or hydrogen!
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-26-2019, 11:03 PM
tdq tdq is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,221
Default

While I prefer to play sitting down, I can and do play standing, with the strap attached to the headstock. I have a NRP 12, steel. Its heavy, not as heavy as a german steel or brass (I think)
__________________
National Resophonic NRP 12 Fret
Loar LH-700-VS Archtop
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Stella Tenor
ESP 400 series telecaster
My Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM
FrankHudson FrankHudson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Yeah, that's what roylor4 was saying. I guess if the left leg is elevated on a stool, then the right thigh / knee can get underneath the guitar a bit, so that the butt is pushed up?

They should make a metal reso with a helium chamber in it. Or hydrogen!
And you'd get all those chipmunk-y high notes too!
__________________
Parlando - Where Music and Words Meet
-----------------------------------
20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=