The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 PM
macmanmatty macmanmatty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 854
Default round neck metal body resonator

assuming you were to take a single cone metal body round neck resonator put in national hot rod cone change the cheap tuners they often come with and have a good set up done to it using it for slide and some fretting would there be any tonal difference between a a rouge, aria, gretsch, or a republic? Would it be worth it to buy a republic or would el cheapos like the rouge be about the same as far as tone once upgraded?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
assuming you were to take a single cone metal body round neck resonator put in national hot rod cone change the cheap tuners they often come with and have a good set up done to it using it for slide and some fretting would there be any tonal difference between a a rouge, aria, gretsch, or a republic? Would it be worth it to buy a republic or would el cheapos like the rouge be about the same as far as tone once upgraded?
"Rogue", Musician's Friend house brand used to make a bell brass body resophonic for around $300 that got a lot of good comments. (It's no longer offered.)

I put a soundwell and a Quarterman cone in a wood-bodied Washburn and it turned out to be a great sounding lap-style.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 PM
Guest 728
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
assuming you were to take a single cone metal body round neck resonator put in national hot rod cone change the cheap tuners they often come with and have a good set up done to it using it for slide and some fretting would there be any tonal difference between a a rouge, aria, gretsch, or a republic? Would it be worth it to buy a republic or would el cheapos like the rouge be about the same as far as tone once upgraded?
You can definitely improve a resonator by replacing the cone and getting a setup, but there will still be tonal differences between guitars. I'm not convinced that Republics are any better than anyone else's inexpensive reso. I've bought two, and they both suffered from some pretty questionable construction methods. Of the ones you mentioned, I'd probably opt for a Gretsch.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 PM
macmanmatty macmanmatty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 854
Default

what were the "questionable" construction methods of the republic? any other brands to look at?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Silly Moustache Silly Moustache is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK/EU
Posts: 15,290
Default

I's all about the cone.
__________________
Silly Moustache,
Elderly singer, guitarist, dobrolist and mandolinist.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Guest 728
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
what were the "questionable" construction methods of the republic? any other brands to look at?
On the Republic tri-cone I bought, one of the dot markers that cover the screws was missing. The screw under it had been installed at an angle, making the fretboard lift away from the body.



On the Republic biscuit guitar, the "stick" that runs from the neck block to the tail was comprised of several glued-together pieces of what looked like scrap wood. The screw that attached this assembly to the cone well was also installed at an angle, making the contact between the cone lip and the well dodgy.

As far as brands go, I think the inexpensive ones have a lot more similarities than differences. If I wanted to spend less than $1000, I'd probably look for a Michael Messer Blues.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM
LemonCats LemonCats is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Catsville
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 728 View Post
On the Republic tri-cone I bought, one of the dot markers that cover the screws was missing. The screw under it had been installed at an angle, making the fretboard lift away from the body.



On the Republic biscuit guitar, the "stick" that runs from the neck block to the tail was comprised of several glued-together pieces of what looked like scrap wood. The screw that attached this assembly to the cone well was also installed at an angle, making the contact between the cone lip and the well dodgy.

As far as brands go, I think the inexpensive ones have a lot more similarities than differences. If I wanted to spend less than $1000, I'd probably look for a Michael Messer Blues.
wow the republics actually have bolt on necks? I didnt think they did. Also Michael Messer uses the same factories so Im not sure why itd be any different besides perhaps a better setup
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2019, 04:13 PM
H165 H165 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woods; OC, CA
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
It's all about the cone.
This is #1.

Then the setup.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2019, 03:06 PM
GroovyException GroovyException is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
Also Michael Messer uses the same factories so Im not sure why itd be any different besides perhaps a better setup
IIRC, the bodies come from the same factory but they are built to different specifications. Having communicated with Michael Messer and spent some time perusing the MM forums, it's clear that he is meticulous when it comes to quality control, set up and customer care. I would not hesitate to purchase one of his instruments, but I've read enough negative comments about Republics here and elsewhere to steer clear.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=