The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 AM

I have worked in the mental health field for the last 15 years. With the caveat that I only have a bachelors in social work, I can't help but believe it has a lot to do with social isolation.

We (as a culture) spend more and more time with TV's, computers, cell phones or other electronic media and have less contact with neighbors. This eliminates or lessens the feeling of belonging there.

We live increasingly in cities instead of small rural communities. This curtails this area of belonging.

Our families are smaller. More and more children are only children.

The elderly try to live independently (read alone) as long as possible instead of living with extended family or going to an assisted living community. My mother brightened up considerably after I convinced her to go into an assisted living center.

Etc, etc.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-11-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Default Unimportant?

May be dismissed as insignificant, but I wonder how many depressed individuals are eating devitalized foods, instead of fresh energy filled natural items.

Wonder if you eat only things that are cooked beyond recognition, or laden with chemical soup -- that sort of thing, for years and years...

About 30 yrs. ago, had a discussion about why today's kids are taller, and the idea was offered that they're eating a lot of growth hormones in the food they consume.

A lot of so called food isn't very filled with life, compared to natural foods that are high in energy, fruit, vegetables vs. packaged stuff.

I do think depression can be felt as a chemical imbalance, and I also believe one's outlook can definitely contribute to putting things into a harmonious or discordant frame of mind.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I have worked in the mental health field for the last 15 years. With the caveat that I only have a bachelors in social work, I can't help but believe it has a lot to do with social isolation.

We (as a culture) spend more and more time with TV's, computers, cell phones or other electronic media and have less contact with neighbors. This eliminates or lessens the feeling of belonging there.

We live increasingly in cities instead of small rural communities. This curtails this area of belonging.

The elderly try to live independently (read alone) as long as possible instead of living with extended family or going to an assisted living community. My mother brightened up considerably after I convinced her to go into an assisted living center.

Etc, etc.
Awesome response!

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-11-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Etc, etc.
I think you're on the right track of inquiry, for sure. Not sure the community examples explain the rapid increase in depression, but the social isolation with screen time almost has to be something of a factor.

Professor Jonathan Haidt has some interesting ideas along these lines:

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-11-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 02-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Come on, guys. Second warning... leave out the prohibited topics. Here are the rules.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I am a depressive, or have been for much of my life.

Depression , for me, follows anxiety.

Anxiety come when one has an issue or problem that you cannot resolve.

Depression is what happens when the anxiety exhausts you and you feel beaten by ... well everything/anything.

For many years I was given various medications , none of which really helped, but some simply deadens one emotions, which is zombifying normally active and creative people.

What really helped me was a series of counselling sessions - called Cognitive Behaviour Training or therapy - I regard training as a better term, because it doesn't solve your issues but train you to read and analyse your reactions and patterns.

It has helped me to manage or avoid quite a lot of situations, by observing my thought patterns.

I heard someone discussing anxiety and depression on the radio today, suggesting that they aren't illnesses, but instinctive self preserving reactions to various dangerous stimuli.

When I find myself confused or frustrated by someone else's actions, I often analyse them as if they were a simple hunter-gatherer - which I believe is our level of evolution.

He suggested that anxiety was a positive reaction to danger/threat .. fight/flight etc, and depression follows in instances when neither fight nor flight will resolve the situation .. effectively, going inwards and admitting defeat. In "the wild" as it were, you either get so hungry that you regain determination or strategies to take action, or ... die. Maybe that's why the Neanderthals died out ... bad neighbours!

We still need to respect depression as a condition and the best treatment, in my mind, is to help the person suffering, understand it.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:

The elderly try to live independently (read alone) as long as possible instead of living with extended family or going to an assisted living community.
There's no question in my mind that one of the major breakdowns in our society (and possibly leading to depression) is family members moving far away from each other chasing after the almighty dollar.

As hard as my last few years have been taking care of my parents, I can't imagine it any other way, and would have some serious guilt/regret if I weren't here for them.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:26 PM

We as humans are not that far removed from our 'caveman' ancestors. Membership in a tribe/family was the difference between life and death. Despite any modern 'John Wayne' rugged individualism, man is a communal animal.

Being alone, feeling isolated leads to significant increases in anxiety and depression.

Whereas this is not exclusively the reason, it is a contributing factor.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-11-2019, 05:22 PM

I believe hopelessness leads to depression. Hopelessness comes as result of the absence of purpose. The presence of purpose is the connecting of each of us one to another in a way whereby we see the value and seek the benefit of putting others and their needs ahead of ours. As we have become more self-serving , we are in constant pursuit of gratification that is never fulfilled except fleetingly. That creates hopelessness, despair, confusion and ultimately, depression. I said in my earlier post, look around, it's pretty obvious.
I may be completely out in left field on this but if we could get people to stop being so self-absorbed, they would be less depression.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I believe hopelessness leads to depression...
Hopelessness and depression are comorbid. I really don't think one causes the other...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Hopelessness and depression are comorbid. I really don't think one causes the other...
You're saying having no hope is the same as depression.
I guess I disagree.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You're saying having no hope is the same as depression.
I guess I disagree.
I'm saying they go hand in hand. They occur together like sniffles and sneezes...

Depression, otherwise known as major depressive disorder or clinical depression, is a common and serious mood disorder. Those who suffer from depression experience persistent feelings of sadness and hopelessness and lose interest in activities they once enjoyed. Aside from the emotional problems caused by depression, individuals can also present with a physical symptom such as chronic pain or digestive issues. To be diagnosed with depression, symptoms must be present for at least two weeks.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Davis,

The world has always been a mad place. Plenty of folks in the past suffered from depression but we just didn't have a name for it.

I do think that the interconnected world tends to feed on itself and over exaggerate the world's problems. Not that there aren't plenty of problems. But the Great Depression and World War II were pretty big events for my parents' generation to deal with. Some people are fighters, some conclude, What's the use? Some people can go through a Nazi death camp, lose their entire families, and still fight to survive.

I have provided music for a fair number of funerals for suicides. They are incredibly sad events. I always end up deeply affected over these services and the damage done to their families. It may be that a higher percentage of people today are more prone to depression compared to those of previous generations, but I am hardly an expert.

- Glenn
I find this full of wisdom and common sense. Your post on ‘the guitarist not the guitar’ I appreciate for the same reasons. Thanks Glenn!
Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Just as a matter of timing, there was a recent article in the Wall Street Journal reporting a higher rate of depression amongst pre-teens and teens which is attributed to isolation due to addiction to social media and screen time. Facebook friends are an illusion and only add to the problem plus Facebook can often be the vehicle of cyber-bullying which is fuel on the fire.

Cherish and hold on to your friends and family for sure.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We as humans are not that far removed from our 'caveman' ancestors. Membership in a tribe/family was the difference between life and death. Despite any modern 'John Wayne' rugged individualism, man is a communal animal.

Being alone, feeling isolated leads to significant increases in anxiety and depression.

Whereas this is not exclusively the reason, it is a contributing factor.
Nyghthawk, I'm sure that you are right, and I totally agree that we haven't evolved significantly since our hunter-gather group/clan/tribe ancestry.

The major factor in recent years is our reliance on the internet for communication.

People communicate with each other far more on online and far less face to face. We are evolved to learn to read non vocal (facial/physical) communications from our parents and close associates, but I am seriously concerned at the isolation of the children of the phone-zombie generation that I see everywhere - with young Mums and Dads focusing more on their devices than their children.

Yes children have been neglected or isolated from parents before, and many such instances have produced some very strange individuals: Insert (leaders/criminals/anti-socials) of choice.

As you say, we need to have parents/parental figure/mentor) and peer group to imprint on. Perhaps this is where the gang culture originates.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic