The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-11-2001, 10:11 PM

Post Left Thumb Fretting....HOW THE HELL...

...Do you do it???? I am trying to learn a piece out of Mark Hanson's fingerstyle book and he recommend fretting the E string with the thumb on all F chords. Not me, Jack. I have tried and tried...these pudgy little hands won't do it. I barre the chord and all is well in China. But do you guys use the thumb for fretting? And is anyone else genetically incapable (as I am) of using it for anything other getting rides from scary truckers....
Old 11-11-2001, 11:08 PM

Cool

I normally play F as a full barre chord, using my index finger across all six strings.

But...

I took a class in Delta-style blues picking, ala Robert Johnson, Mississppi John Hurt, etc. and it's very necessary to fret with your thumb when playing that style of music. Not just the low E string but sometimes the A and D also, up and down the neck.

It's much faster than laying your finger across all the strings and in that style of music your other four digits are busy with other things.

I also took a class in Merle Travis' Kentucky Thumb-picking style and for the first time in my life I had a guitar-related blister on the inside of my left thumb clear up where it joins my palm. Hurt like hell to play with it like that until I wrapped my upper thumb with adhesive tape.

I thought about putting in for the Guitar Players Purple Heart.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:35 PM

ok....now I looking through some questionable web sites in order to find a device that will make my..ahem..

..thumb..

longer...
Old 11-11-2001, 11:51 PM

Cool

LOL

I can see it now. The Big John Holmes autograph model Thumb Pump.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:12 AM

Cool

I use the thumb to fret a G/F or to just silence the E string. Cant get it on my 12 strings though. JW
Old 11-12-2001, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Noflatpick:
<STRONG>LOL

I can see it now. The Big John Holmes autograph model Thumb Pump. </STRONG>
hahahahahahahaha! JW
Old 11-12-2001, 09:32 AM

Quote:
<STRONG>LOL

I can see it now. The Big John Holmes autograph model Thumb Pump. </STRONG>
Lessee....Big John Holmes..... is that Mississippi John Holmes?...no no that's John Hurt...

I'm not familier with his body of work. Does he play with a plectrum or primarily fingerstyle?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:03 AM

Quote:
<STRONG>I normally play F as a full barre chord, using my index finger across all six strings.

But...

I took a class in Delta-style blues picking, ala Robert Johnson, Mississppi John Hurt, etc. and it's very necessary to fret with your thumb when playing that style of music. Not just the low E string but sometimes the A and D also, up and down the neck.

It's much faster than laying your finger across all the strings and in that style of music your other four digits are busy with other things.

I also took a class in Merle Travis' Kentucky Thumb-picking style and for the first time in my life I had a guitar-related blister on the inside of my left thumb clear up where it joins my palm. Hurt like hell to play with it like that until I wrapped my upper thumb with adhesive tape.

I thought about putting in for the Guitar Players Purple Heart. </STRONG>

Agreed. I'm learning Delta blues right now, and while I am pleased as punch to finally be able to play a full F barre chord, I do like having my first finger free from the barre. I can't quite reach the A string yet, but I'm workin' on it!

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 11-12-2001, 02:15 PM

Cool

Bob S: "Not familiar with his body of work?"

HAHAHAHAHA

I went to a bachelor party years ago where they were showing one of his instructional videos.

A most unique style.
Old 11-12-2001, 03:33 PM

Hey Bob, I'm with you on this one. I couldn't get my thumb on that string if my life depended on it! I've tried and tried. I have medium size hands and it just doesn't work. Is there a secret to this that someone wants to share, or are we just genetically &*%$#$?! Help anyone?

Shea

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Shea ]
Old 11-12-2001, 08:47 PM

I have a hard time thumbing the F on the E string, but I routinely mute and play F# with my thumb. I will occasionally even mute the A string with my thumb as well.

I'm surprised you guys are having a tough time with it, since the slim Taylor neck profile makes it especially easy. You might need to curl your other fingers a bit more and hold the neck further into the palm of your hand.

Playing the F as a full barre can really slow you down, the thumb is a great alternative, if you can pull it off. Oh well, not all of us have super long fingers like Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix.

Ken
Old 11-12-2001, 10:41 PM

and let's not forget that other unsung strummer, Mississippi John Holmes and his tortoise shell plectrum.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: BobS ]
Old 11-13-2001, 11:50 AM

Bob & Shea -
I don't know if this helps but to get the E string fretted with my thumb I turn my hand slightly so the heal of my left hand is actually against the back of the neck. It seems to allow me to apply a little more pressure to get my thumb hooked over the string.
I've never been very good a barre cords, just can't seem to get 'em fast enough. Besides I've never figured out how to fret the low E and do a hammer or pull-off on the hi E or B without using my thumb on the low E. Need about three more fingers!
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-13-2001, 02:02 PM

Dear BobS and All,

How can I say this...Thumb Fretting...

Quote:
...Do you do it???? I am trying to learn a piece out of Mark Hanson's fingerstyle book and he recommend fretting the E string with the thumb on all F chords.
Do I do it? Mark Hanson recommends this on "ALL" F barre chords?

I'm not trying to be dogmatic. Maybe I am old fashioned, but every guitar teacher I ever had, and in every reputable course book I ever owned, using the thumb in this mannor is portrayed as being "a very bad habit". I do not teach it and I've never done it in Travis, Atkins, or general finger style.

Now...oddly enough, that being said, if it is a question of one's physical limitations, or a necessary "form function" of a particular and personally unique style, I accept it for those specific purposes.

Other than that, I mean no dogmatic or high-browed inference when I say that from what I have learned in over 40 years of playing, various professional music instructions involving correct techniques, and practical applications, it is not accepted as proper form and should not become a part of one's general technique.

Respectfully,
-grm
Old 11-13-2001, 05:58 PM

grm -

You certainly have more experience than I so I'm curious, how do you fret the low E string on the 1st fret (F) and on the same beat play an open B (pinch)& hammer the 1st fret on the B string (C) without using the thumb on the low E string?

I guess it depends on the style and type of music you play. I've also heard it's a "bad habit" but not doing it would put limitations on what I'm able to play.

It reminds me of a story I heard about someone once asking Chet Atkins about why he didn't try to use the "proper" classical playing position when holding his guitar rather than his hunched over posture. In Chets typically modest style he replied "I guess I'll always just be a hunched over guitar player."

I guess I'll always just be a "thumb fretting" guitar player."
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell