The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-10-2009, 12:40 PM
some guy from NY

Default H4 vs H4n

anyone have experience with both. I have an H4. are the two file systems and menu layouts the same?

And is the quality the same?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 PM
some guy from NY

guess I'm gonna find out. I just ordered an H4n.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:18 AM
some guy from NY

so I got the new model... the H4n. More functionality. So the menu needed to adapt. There's a change in the modes too. In addition to the original stereo and 4 track, there's a multi-track mode. But - correct me if I'm wrong anyone - the original 4 track seems to corresponds to the new multitrack mode.

But controls are a little more intuitive. That stupid multifunction button in the middle of the original has been replaced with 4 separate buttons on the fron and a menu button on the side. The weird 'jog' thing was replaced with a more intuitive continuous thumbwheel that scrools through the options. So the net is that the added functionality doesn't greatly increase the difficulty of operating from such a small package. Really though, I'm not sure why they increased the functionality. The original was just great as far as I'm concerned.

The mics have some directional control too, allowing wide, 120 degree coverage, or the narrower 90 degree coverage. There are other new features too, such as a built in speaker,

I haven't and probably won't do a complete test. The main thing I now want to check is the compatibility of the file systems of the two models. I want to take a guitar track from the original one, email it, and have a singer put it in a folder of the new model and then add a voice track. I don't think the file formats have to be identical because there seems to be an 'import' function that can be used. But I'd like the process to be as simple as possible.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Both recorders create standard format mp3 and wav files. Your file exchange scenario should work without a snag. Files recorded by other systems should be equally easily transferred to the H4 and/or H4n.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD