The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Lamehorse Saddle Pal

Happy Thanksgiving all.

I figured posting this in the Custom Shop would be the most beneficial, for I tend to spend most of my time here.

I acquired this at Woodstock last month, but have been too busy to post. I first became aware of Lamehorse guitars in Memphis a few years back and found their instruments to be unique, beautiful and fun to play. When I attended Woodstock, I was happy that Lamehorse was attending, but I didn’t expect to purchase anything. In fact, I had a bit of cash I had been saving to personally give to Michael Bashkin towards my upcoming build. However a bout of GAS overwhelmed me when I saw, then later played the Saddle Pal. Chris Jenkins agreed to an offer and after sleeping on it, I decided that resistance was futile. Needless to say, it came home with me.

I don’t currently have the detail specs down, but I can tell you what materials were used...

Back and sides is some primo Madagascar Rosewood that Chris said he had been storing for over 20 years. The top is Engelmann Spruce bound with Macassar Ebony. The back headstock veneer and the inside laminate sides are White Oak and the bridge is made out of Indian Rosewood.

Needless to say, I enjoyed Woodstock and seeing old friends and met several new ones. Chris and Jeremy Jenkins are a class act and this little guitar is a perfect compliment to my collection. I just love the little thing!

Without further ado, some quality shots that Chris sent to me...

IMG_1542909409.571864.jpg

IMG_1542909427.705668.jpg

IMG_1542909444.083068.jpg

IMG_1542909466.454595.jpg

IMG_1542909483.467794.jpg

IMG_1542909571.979178.jpg

At the time, I was ignorant of the identity of the chap that was photobombing my guitar...

IMG_1542909661.064570.jpg

I quickly realized who he was...

IMG_1542909702.043878.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1542909498.966518.jpg (42.9 KB, 325 views)
Old 11-22-2018, 01:16 PM

Wow! Super impulse buy! (That's one reason I don't go to these guitar shows.) Congratulations!
Old 11-22-2018, 01:34 PM

Chris is a good friend of mine. Having played that guitar I can definitely say that it is a wonderful piece. Congrats!
Old 11-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Nootis! Chris and Jeremy really created a beautiful piece of playable art with this Saddle Pal. I'm glad that I got to play it and visit with you in Woodstock. Great cameo in the photo of John Sebastian playing a Lame Horse Gitjo.

Far be it from me to lecture anyone about an unplanned guitar purchase at Woodstock. Sometimes the right one just appears before you and you have to be decisive. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Wow! Super impulse buy! (That's one reason I don't go to these guitar shows.) Congratulations!
Stan I know you have a new Kinnaird guitar, and I hope you are bringing it to the B.I.G. event in March. Still, the temptations there will be many.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 11-23-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default It Was A Pleasure

Dan, it was truly a pleasure meeting you, and getting to know you a bit in Woodstock. Jeremy and I are very thankful that you let us continue to show the guitar Saturday and Sunday after you purchased it. That was truly a classy thing to do. John Sebastian did love your Saddle Pal! We haven't forgotten about getting you recordings of his performance on the guitar. We are just really in a time crunch to get NAMM guitars done for the Boutique Guitar Showcase. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Maybe at NAMM?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Stan I know you have a new Kinnaird guitar, and I hope you are bringing it to the B.I.G. event in March. Still, the temptations there will be many.
Yes I'll certainly bring my Kinnaird guitars to B.I.G. 19, and I'm certain there will be serious temptation there anyway! I'm hoping that Tom enjoys this enough to do it again in 2020 and invite a few more Texas luthiers. I was thinking especially of Chris and Jeremy, and also Jimmy Caldwell. I know Michael Watts is a big Lame Horse fan - I would love to hear him play one in person!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Maybe that can happen Stan

Stan, We won't be exhibiting anything at Tom's, but he has been nice enough to invite us. Maybe we can coax a song or two out of Michael on a Lame Horse guitar under a big Texas live oak there?

Chris
Old 11-23-2018, 10:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations, Dan! Chris and Jeremy make wonderful instruments, but they're even better people.
Or so they tell me.
I first met Chris at a LINT gathering in 2000, and was instantly impressed with his work and his kindness. You made a wise purchase.
Your new LH guitar has graced the cover of several publications, and it will look great in that guitar closet of yours. In fact, give us a shot of that when you can?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
Chris is a good friend of mine. Having played that guitar I can definitely say that it is a wonderful piece. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Congratulations Nootis! Chris and Jeremy really created a beautiful piece of playable art with this Saddle Pal. I'm glad that I got to play it and visit with you in Woodstock. Great cameo in the photo of John Sebastian playing a Lame Horse Gitjo.

Thanks Stan, Will and Doug. It was indeed a bit of an impulse, but I did sleep on it!
Old 11-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjenkins3 View Post
Dan, it was truly a pleasure meeting you, and getting to know you a bit in Woodstock. Jeremy and I are very thankful that you let us continue to show the guitar Saturday and Sunday after you purchased it. That was truly a classy thing to do. John Sebastian did love your Saddle Pal! We haven't forgotten about getting you recordings of his performance on the guitar. We are just really in a time crunch to get NAMM guitars done for the Boutique Guitar Showcase. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Maybe at NAMM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjenkins3 View Post
Stan, We won't be exhibiting anything at Tom's, but he has been nice enough to invite us. Maybe we can coax a song or two out of Michael on a Lame Horse guitar under a big Texas live oak there?

Chris

Thanks a bunch Chris. I wasn’t planning on going to NAMM. It seems it would be overwhelming, however I guess I’d never know unless I attended (probably not in 2019 though).

I’m happy to hear that Tom reached out to you for B.I.G. I hope you and Jeremy can make it. I made my reservations a few weeks ago, and was thinking of flying into Austin on my way there. Perhaps giving Jeremy a visit? I’ll tighten up my plans as it moves closer.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Lamehorse Saddle Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Congratulations, Dan! Chris and Jeremy make wonderful instruments, but they're even better people.

Or so they tell me.

I first met Chris at a LINT gathering in 2000, and was instantly impressed with his work and his kindness. You made a wise purchase.

Your new LH guitar has graced the cover of several publications, and it will look great in that guitar closet of yours. In fact, give us a shot of that when you can?

Steve

Thanks Steve. Funny, Chris said the same think about you!

Like you, they are my kind of people. I most likely will bring it back to Texas, but only for an appearance at B.I.G. Perhaps we can coax Mr. Watts to give it a spin after all.

Here’s a shot of the Texas portion of my closet along with the resident armed guard...

IMG_1543085622.671169.jpg

IMG_1543085640.426716.jpg
Old 11-24-2018, 06:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks great Dan, and I'm glad you've taken security to such a high level.
I know I'll never try to break in.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-24-2018, 06:54 PM

I loved that closet the first time I saw it and still love it now!

BTW, I believe the gentleman that built my cabinet has decided to come to B.I.G. from South Dakota as I figured people might be interested in the cabinet once they saw it. Plus it is an excuse to get out of SD weather in March!!! He has not 100% confirmed yet, but I think he is close. Great guy.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Looks great Dan, and I'm glad you've taken security to such a high level.

I know I'll never try to break in.

Steve

Maybe I shouldn’t post this on such a public forum, but we’re all friends.... she can be persuaded with ice cream!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I loved that closet the first time I saw it and still love it now!

BTW, I believe the gentleman that built my cabinet has decided to come to B.I.G. from South Dakota as I figured people might be interested in the cabinet once they saw it. Plus it is an excuse to get out of SD weather in March!!! He has not 100% confirmed yet, but I think he is close. Great guy.

I thanked you then and I thank you now.

I’m anxious to see your cabinet and inquire about your humidity system. Mine works fine, but once it’s out, the humidity plummets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop