The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-25-2024, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Here’s a hypothetical.

You take a poem a famous poet wrote in 1895, and a harmonic structure (bass figure) a famous musician wrote in 1741. You choose chords within that structure, taking free rein to use second or third inversions over the bass figure, as well as minors, augmented, sevenths, ninths, etc. You compose a melody over those chords for the verse, add some instrumentation and background vocals, and record “your song.”

What part of that can you copyright? Clearly it’s “Lyrics by (that poet),” but who would the music be by if you chose the chords and melody over someone else’s bass line?

I’m thinking about American Tune and St. Matthew Passion.

He’s So Fine and My Sweet Lord also come to mind.
As mentioned works that old are considered to be in the public domain
That said you can definitely copyright the sound recording, and I am guessing likely also the specific arrangement if you have added or changed elements

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-25-2024, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Here’s a hypothetical.

You take a poem a famous poet wrote in 1895, and a harmonic structure (bass figure) a famous musician wrote in 1741. You choose chords within that structure, taking free rein to use second or third inversions over the bass figure, as well as minors, augmented, sevenths, ninths, etc. You compose a melody over those chords for the verse, add some instrumentation and background vocals, and record “your song.”

What part of that can you copyright? Clearly it’s “Lyrics by (that poet),” but who would the music be by if you chose the chords and melody over someone else’s bass line?

I’m thinking about American Tune and St. Matthew Passion.

He’s So Fine and My Sweet Lord also come to mind.
Good question. I noticed in our hymnal that only the text to Canticle of Turning was copywritten by Rory Cooney in 1990. I checked it out and that is probably because the tune is taken from The Star of County Down, a traditional Irish folk tune, which itself comes from an earlier hymn, Dives of Lazarus.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-25-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantex View Post
Here's what I did as best I can remember.

I registered 11 songs as an album as one piece under 2 seperate categories.

One for "musical works published on the same album", this includes music, lyrics and the CD artwork that I had created as a work for hire.

One also for the "sound recordings published on the same album".

There were 2 different forms to fill out and 2 fees to pay. I uploaded everything digitally and mailed in 2 CDs.

I did all this after writing, recording, mixing, registering with BMI, getting ISRC numbers for each song, mastering, having artwork created and pressing CDs.

If you're an independent artist you basically have to do everything that a publishing company and a record label would do and more.
That's what I did for my first two albums. It works because I was the sole copyright owner of those songs.

On my third album, I will have several songs with co-writers. My understanding is that I can't do this for the entire album. I'll have to do it in "chunks" for each set of co-writers.
Old 07-04-2024, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

When I made my first (and, so far, only!) CD back in 1998, I chose to copyright the entire album as a "collection" - which only cost one fee for the entire work, as opposed to registering each song separately.

A downside of the "collection" registration is that, should someone actually want to "buy" one of the songs, I would have to go ahead and register THAT ONE song on its own. Thus far, I've not had to deal with this aspect of the copyright process.

I can not remember how much the fee was, but it wasn't all that much.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write